6.5 PRC with 140 Berger Elites?

samson

Is anybody using the 140 Bergers in their 6.5 PRC? I am going to load up some and see how they do. I have RL26 on hand. Any help is appreciated. I did contact Berger and they said to start at 54.5. That seemed a bit high for starting point.

Just had one built and running 140VLDs at 3130fps in a proof 24"......and I think the guys at McWhorter quoted me 60gr of RL26.....but I'll know soon enough when the rifle arrives. I know I was shooting 60gr in my 6.5SAUM.

I don't have pressure at 56.2 with fireformed brass, was getting ejector marks above 57.
I found that new Norma brass shot 2970 at 56.6, then 1x fired brass shot 2990, which put it out of the accuracy node, so reduced load down to 56.2 and changed the seating depth to get it to shoot. Lots of strange things going on with prc brass. I have Hornady, Norma, and now Nosler. Can't wait to get some real brass (ADG).

Just had one built and running 140VLDs at 3130fps in a proof 24"......and I think the guys at McWhorter quoted me 60gr of RL26.....but I'll know soon enough when the rifle arrives. I know I was shooting 60gr in my 6.5SAUM.
That doesn't sound right, that would be cool if it pans out!

I'm having a 6.5 prc being made now because I like how my 6.5CM shoots the 140 VLD's. Are you guys settling on a lower velocity for the PRC and can't it push the 140's a little harder??? My CM is shooting them at 2,920 now and I can hold .3 moa to 650 yards with it. Never taken it past that but I'm sure it will. The whole reason I was making the PRC was to shoot the 156's at the same speed. Just curious about it. I know some will say that's too fast for the CM but I ran a ladder on the load I use and it was the higher node for sure but I only have slight slight flattening of the primers. I've shot it in 80 degrees to 20 degrees with no change in pressure sign. I just think if should be getting over 3,000 fps for sure other wise you should just shoot a CM.

I'm not sure, i just got my prc and got some load data from Berger and they are using a lot more powder on their end. For 135 Classic's they show a low end of 56.1 and a max of 61.6 of RE26.
On the 140 Elite's they show a low end of 54.5 and a max of 60.5.
I'm worked up a few loads with the 135's for today and I will see how they do.