6.5 PRC w/ Hammers & LRXs POWDER choice???

Unicorn_Prince

I have some rounds loaded with 127 grain Barnes LRXs, 134 grain Shock Hammers, and 139 grain Shock Hammers. I'm also considering the 137 grain Hammer Hunters. I have IMR 4831 and Reloader 22. But, I doubt I want either of those for my end game load development. Not worried about powder availability as it is becoming slowly more abundant on shelves and I will pay for what I need for a good load. Just want to find an accurate load that is temp stable, that burns at the right rate. Any info would be appreciated. Really interested in the vihtavuori line-up. How to know to pick the correct burn rate for a 24" barrel and my case capacity, projectile length, etc. Thanks again

I have some rounds loaded with 127 grain Barnes LRXs, 134 grain Shock Hammers, and 139 grain Shock Hammers. I'm also considering the 137 grain Hammer Hunters. I have IMR 4831 and Reloader 22. But, I doubt I want either of those for my end game load development. Not worried about powder availability as it is becoming slowly more abundant on shelves and I will pay for what I need for a good load. Just want to find an accurate load that is temp stable, that burns at the right rate. Any info would be appreciated. Really interested in the vihtavuori line-up. How to know to pick the correct burn rate for a 24" barrel and my case capacity, projectile length, etc. Thanks again
Look at RL23 and H4831.

Just tested some quick velocities with 135 Berger and N560. Ran 56-58gr in .5 increments and went from 3050-3188 in a 22" proof carbon and zero pressure signs. Going to play in that area with some 3-5rd groups at .3 gr increments here next.

I'm planning on trying RL22 as soon as I can get some 134 SH. I have the powder and can't find any of the other powders guys have been talking about

I think H1000 may be too slow for the LRX. I ran out of capacity before I hit pressure signs, approx 3,125-3,150 FPS with a 26" barrel. I have 1 pound of RL-26 and will likely try that next.

RL 22 is about the worst when it comes to temp stability. I stay away from it in hunting rifles.
I'm pretty new to reloading and I have read that quite a bit. It seems some guys love it and some guys don't. I also read that batch to batch consistency is pretty poor too

Recent Posts