6.5 PRC VS 7mm WSM 18inch barrel

Looking at a build trying to go as light as I can full carbon just can't decide on 6.5 PRC or 7mm WSM
best for taking game form 100 to 500 yards ,velocity, and energy out of a 18inch barrel does anyone have experience with this

Looking at a build trying to go as light as I can full carbon just can't decide on 6.5 PRC or 7mm WSM
best for taking game form 100 to 500 yards ,velocity, and energy out of a 18inch barrel does anyone have experience with this
We have a lot of experience with the ss in these short barrels.
An 18" in the 6.5 would get you close 3000 with a 140. And the 7 mm with a 180 at 2850'+
I would think the wsm would get about the same and the prc about 100' or so less.

Don't have any experience with a short barrel but out of a 26 in barrel 6.5 prc I'm getting 3000 pretty easy with 147gn elds nd 56.5 gn of h1000 I've also used magnum primers too for a little more zip. I can go hotter too but don't see the need.

I think theirs alot of potential in the 6.5 prc, if u handload, specially with the heavy for caliber stuff like 156 eol berger....I shoot a heavy target chasis howa in prc nd like it so much I'm gonna build a lightweight savage or rem in 6.5 prc nd building around the 156 berger....might have a touch less kick outta the 6.5 too with that light of a build

I think theirs alot of potential in the 6.5 prc, if u handload, specially with the heavy for caliber stuff like 156 eol berger....I shoot a heavy target chasis howa in prc nd like it so much I'm gonna build a lightweight savage or rem in 6.5 prc nd building around the 156 berger....might have a touch less kick outta the 6.5 too with that light of a build
Yeah I was leaning to the 6.5 PRC for less boot with the short barrel I hunt a block of pines here in NZ and threw February early March I use my 7mm rm with 26" barrel for the glassing and long distance shots but threw the roar end of March April it's like they wear bulletproof armour so want something for close combat but also the ability to kill at mild long range if a shot presents itself whilst I'm reloading for my 7mm rm the logic choice is the 7 wsm but reading up on the 6.5 has a bc almost identical to the 7mm and kicks less

Yeah I was leaning to the 6.5 PRC for less boot with the short barrel I hunt a block of pines here in NZ and threw February early March I use my 7mm rm with 26" barrel for the glassing and long distance shots but threw the roar end of March April it's like they wear bulletproof armour so want something for close combat but also the ability to kill at mild long range if a shot presents itself whilst I'm reloading for my 7mm rm the logic choice is the 7 wsm but reading up on the 6.5 has a bc almost identical to the 7mm and kicks less
Sounds like you need a SS or SST if you're thinking 6.5

Sounds like you need a SS or SST if you're thinking 6.5

So I'm building a 7mm MAX with a 26" carbon barrel from HCA. They have options of 20" barrels... if I was going to save weight and go with a 20" barrel would it be more efficient to go with a lighter bullet and faster burning powders? Go heavy with slower burning powders or vice versa? Mike said with a 26" barrel my sons rifle will be around 7.5 lbs.... tikka T3 action, AG Carbon stock and magnum contour carbon barrel.

So I'm building a 7mm MAX with a 26" carbon barrel from HCA. They have options of 20" barrels... if I was going to save weight and go with a 20" barrel would it be more efficient to go with a lighter bullet and faster burning powders? Go heavy with slower burning powders or vice versa? Mike said with a 26" barrel my sons rifle will be around 7.5 lbs.... tikka T3 action, AG Carbon stock and magnum contour carbon barrel.
cheers for the advice just curious is that 7.5lbs bare rifle or with a fitted scope

Ive found that in most cases, the powder with the best velocity for a given bullet weight will be the same for a 20" as a 26".
With that light a rifle though, recoil might be a consideration when considering bullet weight.

cheers for the advice just curious is that 7.5lbs bare rifle or with a fitted scope

Bare rifle... it's called the HCA Carbon killer. Since I went with a 26" barrel I had to upgrade to a "heavy hunter" but if I stayed with a 18",20",22" or 24" I could use their lightweight option. But also being a 7MAX and a 26" the builder Mike recommended a heavier contour. A really nice and helpful guy. I was just wondering if I could get away with a shorter barrel and still harness all of the advantages. Aloha

Other calibers that could be worth considering 7mm saum or 300 WSM. Reason for these to take into consideration, 7 saum has a case capacity which holds a nominal amount of powder which will give you greater flexibility when it comes to powder choices in the shorter barrel (case capacity more or less equal to the 280 ai). 300 WSM will offer a improved burn rate in a short barrel. The distances that you're expecting to shoot 500 yards won't be a handicap with slightly lower BC .30 bullets. 2800 fps should still be achievable with say a 200 grain ELDx in an 18" barrel. A decent suppressor would make it nicer to shoot

Other calibers that could be worth considering 7mm saum or 300 WSM. Reason for these to take into consideration, 7 saum has a case capacity which holds a nominal amount of powder which will give you greater flexibility when it comes to powder choices in the shorter barrel (case capacity more or less equal to the 280 ai). 300 WSM will offer a improved burn rate in a short barrel. The distances that you're expecting to shoot 500 yards won't be a handicap with slightly lower BC .30 bullets. 2800 fps should still be achievable with say a 200 grain ELDx in an 18" barrel. A decent suppressor would make it nicer to shoot
Sweet as cheers for the info very helpful something a bit different to look at

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.