6.5 PRC v.s. 6.5/284 v.s. 6.5 GAP

Litehiker

So now that the 6.5 PRC cartridge has been out for a while and the 6.5 GAP even logner I wonder, with Hornady and Ruger behind the 6.5 PRC for brass and loaded ammo availability is the 6.5 GAP going to fade away?

And how about the relatively popular 6.5/284 for a flat shooting 6.5?

My bet is on the 6.5 PRC because it's likely less of a barrel burner than the 6.5/284 with only a tad less velocity and the above-mentioned availability of brass and loaded cartridges.

But I'm sticking to my RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor for PRS & varmint competition and my RAP hunting rifle for coyote up to and including cow elk.

Eric B.

Last edited:
The only thing that will kill the 6.5 Gap is the lack of quality brass. Finding 7SAUM or 300 SAUM to convert to 6.5 brass is beginning to be very difficult to find. Us folks who are still shooting the 6.5 Gap, are hoping other manufactures such as Bertram and/or ADG will be coming out with good stuff soon. We keep our fingers crossed.

I think the GAP will be around for awhile. If only because it is the fastest 6.5 that can be used with the heavier bullets in a short action and do it efficiently without quickly burning out the barrel like the 6.5 WSM can. Stamped brass is available and a couple other companies will be also producing quality brass soon.

The 6.5 PRC have some moderate success as it does have all the positive attributes of the GAP but runs about 30-40 fps slower and loaded ammo is available. I also think that this might make for a superior F-open class caliber

Until the 6.5 PRC came out, i was really into the 6.5/284 but realistically you can't get the most out of it unless you use it in a long action and load those high BC bullets long.

So far the 6.5 GAP seems to be getting a lot of love here.

I guess that even though I handload and have some nice tools like a fairly new RCBS turret press and precision dies the thought of re-forming brass does not appeal. It's enough work sorting by weight, annealing, cleaning and sizing. So the 6.5 GAP is not in my future. In any it would be the 6.5/285 or the 6.5 PRC.

My most powerful long range setup is a Stainless Browning A-Bolt in .300 Win mag. I've got Neil Jones precision dies and a range of match bullets including 230 gr. Berger Hybrids for that cartridge. The .300 Win mag can't recoil too much more than the 6.5 GAP with heavier bullets.

Eric B.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the 6.5 PRC brass only available from Hornady? Enough said.

Yes, at this time it would seem that Hornady is the only producer of 6.5 PRC brass.

So far there aren't many complaints of a''soft'' brass issue anymore.

Yes, at this time it would seem that Hornady is the only producer of 6.5 PRC brass.

So far there aren't many complaints of a''soft'' brass issue anymore.

Respectfully Disagree based on my experience. I recently purchased 200 pieces of 6.5 SAUM brass and it is very soft. If you research sites dedicated to the 6.5 PRC and SAUM you will read many complaints as of recent. Can barely get over two firings before the primer pockets are shot.

Respectfully Disagree based on my experience. I recently purchased 200 pieces of 6.5 SAUM brass and it is very soft. If you research sites dedicated to the 6.5 PRC and SAUM you will read many complaints as of recent. Can barely get over two firings before the primer pockets are shot.

Rick,
Not doubting you. I know that there was a couple lots of "soft" 6.5 GAP brass out there.
Did you get it direct from George and do you know the lot number or production date. I got my SAUM brass late last year.

BTW ... ADG said that they have plans to make 7 and 6.5 SAUM brass soon. They will also be making brass for the Sherman Short.

Rick,
Not doubting you. I know that there was a couple lots of "soft" 6.5 GAP brass out there.
Did you get it direct from George and do you know the lot number or production date. I got my SAUM brass late last year.

BTW ... ADG said that they have plans to make 7 and 6.5 SAUM brass soon. They will also be making brass for the Sherman Short.

Most recent batch from GA Precision.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.