6.5 Prc reloading

marcm1

Ok I am reloading for my new gun and I have a question, I have purchased both the ADG brass and the Lapua brass to try so which one should be the first to try??
If the first one works great then selling the others.

Thanks for any imput!

Marc

Lapua is the gold standard in my book. That being said I have heard nothing but good things from ADG. I don't think you'll regret either. Report back on your findings. Always interested in having another comparison.

I used ADG first and had good results but I did stretch some primer pockets with some really hot loads when pressure testing the Absolute Hammers. I just picked up 300 of the Lapua brass to replace that as I missed the ADG release earlier this year. Will report back on my findings then.

Just beware the ADG brass tends to have sizing issues after the second or third reloading because it is a heavier brass. I reload for two 6.5 PRC with ADG brass and after the second reloading they both developed clickers

Ok I am reloading for my new gun and I have a question, I have purchased both the ADG brass and the Lapua brass to try so which one should be the first to try??
If the first one works great then selling the others.

Thanks for any imput!

Marc
When I purchased my 6.5mm Ruger Hawkeye two years ago, the only options for brass were Hornady and ADG. I purchased a hundred Hornady cases along with that new rifle, with the idea of trying other brands of brass as they came on line. When I got wind of the ADG option, I purchased a hundred rounds. Wow! What a letdown! No matter what I did, I encountered difficult bolt-lift even at the beginning charge using Alliant Reloader 26. With the higher charges it was almost impossible to move the bolt upward. I never tried the charges at the top end ofthe range. I went back to the Hornady brass with which I was experiencing excellent results. .25 to .4 MOA were common in the intermediate ranges with a fairly consistent one MOA at a thousand yards.

When I contacted ADG, their tech rep told me that "Yes, there had been similar problems with a few other rifles." He seemed to think that, possibly, my rifle's chamber was on the tight end of SAAMI specs, and that, in conjunction with the thicker walled ADG brass, could go a long way to explain the situation. At least that's how I remember it.

So... I went back to the Hornady brass and never gave it another thought. . I can tell you that Hornady's 6.5 mm PRC brass is of noticeably higher quality than their 6.5 mm Creedmoor offerings. I DID have to opt for Lapua brass for use in my Bergara HRM 6.5 Creedmoor. And, yes, I agree that Lapua IS the gold standard when it comes to rifle brass. However, it is only fair to give Hornady their just due. Their 6.5 PRC brass is of top quality.

Sir, using one over the other is really of no concern because both are supper quality products. I use hornady brass and was able to try ADG in comparison and found no difference in group sizes using the same load in both. The bigges difference was the consentricity of the ADG over the hornady but not by much. So load them up and go shooting. Have fun!

When I purchased my 6.5mm Ruger Hawkeye two years ago, the only options for brass were Hornady and ADG. I purchased a hundred Hornady cases along with that new rifle, with the idea of trying other brands of brass as they came on line. When I got wind of the ADG option, I purchased a hundred rounds. Wow! What a letdown! No matter what I did, I encountered difficult bolt-lift even at the beginning charge using Alliant Reloader 26. With the higher charges it was almost impossible to move the bolt upward. I never tried the charges at the top end ofthe range. I went back to the Hornady brass with which I was experiencing excellent results. .25 to .4 MOA were common in the intermediate ranges with a fairly consistent one MOA at a thousand yards.

When I contacted ADG, their tech rep told me that "Yes, there had been similar problems with a few other rifles." He seemed to think that, possibly, my rifle's chamber was on the tight end of SAAMI specs, and that, in conjunction with the thicker walled ADG brass, could go a long way to explain the situation. At least that's how I remember it.

So... I went back to the Hornady brass and never gave it another thought. . I can tell you that Hornady's 6.5 mm PRC brass is of noticeably higher quality than their 6.5 mm Creedmoor offerings. I DID have to opt for Lapua brass for use in my Bergara HRM 6.5 Creedmoor. And, yes, I agree that Lapua IS the gold standard when it comes to rifle brass. However, it is only fair to give Hornady their just due. Their 6.5 PRC brass is of top quality.
ADG requires less powder to create same pressure and velocity. If you try and take a charge that you're using in Hornady you have to reduce by at least 10%. ADG states this in the box. I've used ADG and do have clickers but the issue is in the Chamber design, brass spec. If you ran the Hornady pressured up as much as you ran the ADG you'd experience clickers and hard bolt lift also. I run ADG with 144 Bergers and no hard bolt lift but do have clickers from the tight chamber.

Sorry for my ignorance but whats a clicker?
A clicker is what happens when a piece of brass expands at the WEB from pressure, and stick, clicks,pops. The PRC case design has very tight tolerances though. So, 6.5PRC brass is spec'd at about .526-.528 when new at the web. Chamber spec is .533. Resize die spec is .532-.531. So the chamber spec is so close that when fired a few times the case hardens, the web gets stubborn to resize, and it becomes so close that when fired, it sticks and then clicks or pops at the top of the bolt stroke during extraction of the spent round.