6.5 prc ramshot magnum powder

RR2791

I just started reloading for 6.5 prc. I've found some decent loads but wonder if anyone else has tried using ramshot magnum powder in their prc? Also, I was wondering if magnum primer may be better for ramshot magnum powder? Thank you.

just started testing ramshot magnum in my 6.5 prc with 140s . started at 60.0 and hit pressure at 62.7 with some impressive velocities. have a set loaded with 147s to try but need time. I like mag primers with ball powders some say you get better ignition especially when it gets cold.
RL-16 with 140s at 3075 has been my best load but case fill is to low with the heavier bullets hoping ramshot mag might be the an alternative. H-1000 has been a dud for me in all bullet weights

just started testing ramshot magnum in my 6.5 prc with 140s . started at 60.0 and hit pressure at 62.7 with some impressive velocities. have a set loaded with 147s to try but need time. I like mag primers with ball powders some say you get better ignition especially when it gets cold.
RL-16 with 140s at 3075 has been my best load but case fill is to low with the heavier bullets hoping ramshot mag might be the an alternative. H-1000 has been a dud for me in all bullet weights
I am currently running the ramshot with standard primers. I'm going to try running magnum primers with it to see if it helps at all to tighten the groups up. Did you run mag primers with the ramshot magnum when you tested it? I would like to try RL powders or h1000, but currently cant find any. I do have h4831sc and am thinking about trying that, but worried it may be to fast of a burning powder.

I am currently running the ramshot with standard primers. I'm going to try running magnum primers with it to see if it helps at all to tighten the groups up. Did you run mag primers with the ramshot magnum when you tested it? I would like to try RL powders or h1000, but currently cant find any. I do have h4831sc and am thinking about trying that, but worried it may be to fast of a burning powder.
doing all testing with wrlm primers with ramshot. H4831sc is not to fast Hornady lists H4831 in their load data the SC will just have a lower case fill for same weight. I have had best luck with fed 210s and wlr primers with the stick powders with the slight edge going to the winchester

I have a cooper in 6.5 prc and their recommended load uses ramshot magnum. I also have two GA Precision rifles in 6.5 SAUM which is the proprietary version and predecessor of the 6.5 prc and their recommended loads use h1000. I load both with federal large rifle magnum primers. All three rifles will put five shots inside a nickel. Just mho

I have found the f 210 gives better sd and es numbers over the magnum primers. rl23 has been my most accurate powder tested in 2 rifles with 135 and 140 bergers

Older thread but I've got almost a thousand CCI large rifle magnum primers and ordered 2 lbs of Ramshot Magnum. I'm going to start loading for the PRC. Haven't even bought the rifle yet lol. I was able to get 2 boxes of Hornady Precision Hunter ammo and use the brass for reloads.

I've had good success with Ramshot TAC in 308 so hopefully Magnum will work great in 6.5 PRC.

I know magnum primers aren't required but I've got a bunch and Magnum powder is a spherical so figured it wouldn't hurt.

I have found the f 210 gives better sd and es numbers over the magnum primers. rl23 has been my most accurate powder tested in 2 rifles with 135 and 140 bergers

Nailed it! Dropping to the 210 will almost always even out SD & ES in a "short mag" case. Seen it time & time again.

Magnum has continued to impress me. I started using it in a 6-284 in a bit of a "why not" moment. I was able to push a 112MB over 3400fps without pressure. I've always been consistent & i've not experienced enough temp instability to even worry about it any more.

With a burn rate very similar to H1000, I think it would be a VERY good choice for the 6.5PRC.

t

Nailed it! Dropping to the 210 will almost always even out SD & ES in a "short mag" case. Seen it time & time again.

Magnum has continued to impress me. I started using it in a 6-284 in a bit of a "why not" moment. I was able to push a 112MB over 3400fps without pressure. I've always been consistent & i've not experienced enough temp instability to even worry about it any more.

With a burn rate very similar to H1000, I think it would be a VERY good choice for the 6.5PRC.

t

Good to hear. I'm getting low on Federal 210s but got a bunch of CCI 250 LRMP so I will see what happens.

Burning rates on a Numerical basis-----FYI

RL 26 -----------------------0.3397
Ramshot Magnum ---------0.345
Retumbo--------------------0.337
Magpro---------------------0.3342

Recent Posts