6.5 PRC primers

I am starting to load 6.5 PRC and I would like to know if you guys use magnum primers or large Rifle primers thanks
For 3 years all I've shot in mine are CCI BR2s. It shoots 1/2 MOA with them so no reason to change at this point. I guess hunting in super cold weather might require a hotter primer . Like Montana or Minnesota in December. But, I don't have to worry about that because I don't live in that type of state and I'm always archery hunting that time of year. 🤨

In the four 6.5 PRC rifles I've worked with all were 1/2 moa or better at 500 yards with CCI 250 primers and Re-26. I never tried anything else.
When I was working up a load two years ago for my Ruger Hawkeye 6.5 prc, I tested were various primers. The clear winner was the Federal 210m's. The CCI BR-2's were the runner-up, but it wasn't close. The Federals were all 'bullets touching.' Not so with the CCI's.

Testing consisted of Hornady brass, Berger 140yards and both IMR 7828ssc and H1000. All at 100 yayds.

So many variables. Focus on ES and SD then adjust seating depth based off what primers work best with the powder, bullet, and gun. I did a lot of research and found most said 210m primers for 6.5prc.
I use 215M because I couldn't get 210M to test.

Last edited:
I am starting to load 6.5 PRC and I would like to know if you guys use magnum primers or large Rifle primers thank
Large rifle
I should add that I backed off and worked up with magnum and ended up at the same powder charge for the same chrono speed, but my ES and SD weren't as tight. So I went back to large rifle. Have had no issues with them in the cold.

I know that for the average shooter, normal primers can work well. But, for me, 40 years ago in Alaska shooting with Army sharpshooters, we went to all magnum primers and temp-stable powders BECAUSE we were having occasional misfires with normal primers! Very cold weather! With a dangerous animal or an enemy trying to kill you, life or death depends on powder ignition. For that reason, all my loads are worked up with Win or CCI magnum primers! Most of my loads shoot within 1/2 MOA, and a couple are 1/4 MOA! AND, no big bear has gotten me Yet!!!

We generally load magnum primers with everything. Sometimes we have seen premature pressure signs in some cartridges. Switching to lr primers has cured this. We heard from a couple customers that standard lr primers in the prc would result in much higher vel. We had loaded a couple of them in the past and got 3200 fps with the 124g Hammer Hunter with mag primers. We loaded another one last weekend and used wlr primers and got 3470 fps with both rl26 and n560. So our experience definitely says standard lr primers.

I have used Fed 210 or CCI200 in the 6.5PRCs I have loaded for.

One guy took his to Minnesota in December for a WT hunt. If that is not proof enough the standard LR primers work in extreme cold weather, I don't know what is.

Finally got my load dialed in and BR2 in my prc and n560 is pushing 135berger at 3187 with a suppressor and no pressure signs. .231" group
BEBF69C1-954C-4A28-BE13-4DEE2838D844.jpeg

For 3 years all I've shot in mine are CCI BR2s. It shoots 1/2 MOA with them so no reason to change at this point. I guess hunting in super cold weather might require a hotter primer . Like Montana or Minnesota in December. But, I don't have to worry about that because I don't live in that type of state and I'm always archery hunting that time of year. 🤨

BR2s just became available on Midway so I bought some for my 6.5 PRC. I worked up a load with CCI 250s and I think the SDs could be better. Also I'm down to just 200 Federal 210s.

Recent Posts