6.5 PRC or 7mm Rem Mag

I think I have to totally agree with Pro2A the 7mm rem has a well established reputation as a great ELK/Deer rifle out 1000 yd. and maybe a little further in the right hands. But another advantage now is that you can find 7mm brass ,dies and other reloading components now much easier than 6.5 stuff. Good luck on your choice nobody wants to be disappointed on Christmas.

...7mm vs 6.5 PRC is apples to oranges with the 7 having an advantage with heavier for caliber bullet weights for more energy at closer ranges....The higher BC of the 156 levels out the results to a degree at longer range so you have to decide if the difference is worth it to you.
I would slightly disagree with this assessment. The two are essentially ballistic twins, with the 7mm just having an ~20 grain, 0.020 inch advantage in bullet weight and diameter for a given B.C., with nearly identical velocities.

156 EOL = 0.679 BC
180 VLDH = 0.673 BC

150 NABLR = 0.634 BC
175 NABLR = 0.648 BC

Both calibers will run this B.C. class of bullet around 2900-3000 fps, and according to several load manuals, the 7mm might in fact edge out the PRC by a few fps in equal bbl lengths and bullet B.C.

Also, if you look at Hornady/Berger/Nosler bullet offerings, the 7RM wins the B.C. category. All three offer 7mm bullets with B.C.s higher than the maximum B.C. available in 6.5 mm.

For "standard" atmosphere at 3000 ft elevation, with transonic starting @ 1300 fps

147 ELDM @ 3000 fps = 1635 yds to 1300 fps
180 ELDM @ 2900 fps = 1780 yds to 1300 fps

IMO, if recoil is of no concern, go with the 7RM. It will do everything the 6.5 PRC will do, just a bit harder, heavier, and further.

Both cartridges will perform very close to say 1000 yards using high BC bullets like a Berger 156 EOL and a Berger 180 VLD Hunting and 26 inch barrels and hand loads. One of the advantages of the 7 Rem is it will be a better travel rifle because ammo for it will generally be available almost anywhere. One of the big advantages of the short mag is a lot less recoil and being able to fit into a smaller package. Typically longer mags will be a little less efficient than short mags in shorter barrels. So if you want to use say a 20 or 22 inch barrel look closely at the drop in performance between the 2. I know the 6.5 PRC will be about 20-25fps loss for each inch of barrel removed. So my 26in load that runs 3040fps from my 26 drops to about 2940ish in my 22in. There is some published data on this for the 7 Rem on the web I believe. This may put the performance advantage in the 6.5s favor. Either way if you are getting a custom chamber get the chamber cut to give you as much powder capacity as possible. This will give a little more favorable internal ballistics over the SAAMI standard.

I would slightly disagree with this assessment. The two are essentially ballistic twins, with the 7mm just having an ~20 grain, 0.020 inch advantage in bullet weight and diameter for a given B.C., with nearly identical velocities.

156 EOL = 0.679 BC
180 VLDH = 0.673 BC

150 NABLR = 0.634 BC
175 NABLR = 0.648 BC

Both calibers will run this B.C. class of bullet around 2900-3000 fps, and according to several load manuals, the 7mm might in fact edge out the PRC by a few fps in equal bbl lengths and bullet B.C.

Also, if you look at Hornady/Berger/Nosler bullet offerings, the 7RM wins the B.C. category. All three offer 7mm bullets with B.C.s higher than the maximum B.C. available in 6.5 mm.

For "standard" atmosphere at 3000 ft elevation, with transonic starting @ 1300 fps

147 ELDM @ 3000 fps = 1635 yds to 1300 fps
180 ELDM @ 2900 fps = 1780 yds to 1300 fps

IMO, if recoil is of no concern, go with the 7RM. It will do everything the 6.5 PRC will do, just a bit harder, heavier, and further.
You made my point more clear. The 156 levels it more than the previous offerings in a hunting bullet. Some people discount the 147 since it's a match bullet and 140 class. Emotionally people look at the 156 and berger name and associate it will killing powa. So you have a 156 at 180 level bc. Apples to apples would be a 156 to a 160 class 7 but we can also argue the 195 EOL. IDK its a rabbit hole and splitting "hairs" ha ha.

Since I have both calibers and cartridges I have spent a fair bit of time playing the game of what to do. I ran the 147 in my 6.5-284 at 3015fps in a 28" barrel. The 7RM ran a 180 in a 26 at 3000. Since then I have gone to short barrels and suppressors. So everything is 22" or less now. Hence it is also why the 6.5 PRC is my go to, it works very well in a shorter barrel. For a short action magnum it runs decent speed at less powder usage so it's not too far off from a 7rm. Not enough to make me run the 7RM generally speaking. Like others here, I think the 7RM is a better choice for components and factory ammo if that is a concern. PRC anything is really hard to find. I was into the PRC before any of the BS occured so I have no issues currently.

Trying to make a decision on a rifle for a Christmas gift. Torn between 6.5 PRC and 7mm Rem Mag. Recoil is not an issue on either. I wanted a good long range gun for shooting long range and occasionally an elk or mule deer. I have a 6.5 creed that I use on whitetail and hogs and smaller game. Trying to figure out what caliber would be the better option for long range and bigger game. What do y'all think?
Trying to make a decision on a rifle for a Christmas gift. Torn between 6.5 PRC and 7mm Rem Mag. Recoil is not an issue on either. I wanted a good long range gun for shooting long range and occasionally an elk or mule deer. I have a 6.5 creed that I use on whitetail and hogs and smaller game. Trying to figure out what caliber would be the better option for long range and bigger game. What do y'all think?
Recently saw 6.5 PRC fac. ammo @ $3.50 per round........................7 MM Mag. ! ! ! or reload the 6.5

Wanting a gun in either of these two calibers, I went with the 6.5 PRC in the Savage 110 Switchback. I purchased before I realized how rare the ammo and brass are. Nationwide the Switchback was sold out in 7mm Mag, or I would have purchased it.

I recently paid a mint for two boxes, 40 rounds.

In a very rare stroke of luck, my local store received a 7mm Switchback and had it priced very attractively at $519..... so I snagged it.

Now I need to shoot both, make the decision which I prefer and will likely sell the other.

QouFc76.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 9.15.44 AM.png

Recent Posts