6.5 PRC on a SA

That's funny... the Gunwerks LRM reamer has identical specs to the 6.5PRC.

I watched the propaganda video too doesn't mean anything. Partnering up with GG was stategic to get the PRS guys behind it. That's where the money is!

Fact is Gunwerks we're testing this round years ago. Gunwerks and Hornady work closely.

Fact is GAP started on this in at least 2012. They then developed the 6.5Gap4S (6.5 SAUM) because Hornady was not ready to roll with it. I bought my 6.5Gap4S Extreme Hunter in 2013, so I know these dates are factually accurate. Others can claim all they want, GAP actually proves it.

That's funny... the Gunwerks LRM reamer has identical specs to the 6.5PRC.

I watched the propaganda video too doesn't mean anything. Partnering up with GG was stategic to get the PRS guys behind it. That's where the money is!

Fact is Gunwerks we're testing this round years ago. Gunwerks and Hornady work closely.
Can you provide those spec's?

Don't need too... my Gunwerks LRM shoots factory 6.5 PRC just fine
the gunwerks 7LRM and the 6.5 PRC will not ever share the same specs EVER!! one is based off of the 375 ruger LONG ACTION and the other is based off of the RCM case SHORT ACTION.. im not saying your rifle isn't chambered in a 6.5 PRC but its not a 6.5 LRM (can you post pics of it if it indeed says 6.5 LRM on the side and a fired case of a 6.5 PRC after its fired in that chamber)) ??

and George did his first design on the RCM case years ago before the 6.5 GAP4S and actually went with the saum case due to the fact that its shorter, fatter, will feed for the life of the barrel through a short action mag and hit the 3100 fps rule while keeping pressures relatively low 60,000 or less to help barrel life if I remember correctly and brass quality was way better and more options for making it.. the 6.5 PRC factory ammo will fit in short action mag box... BARELY and if you were to load bergers or JLK in the now sammi chamber no way.. the freebore that is now the standard (which they've changed like three or four times) is .188" the first approval was at .130".

I was considering using one of my Remington 700 SA to build a rifle. My understanding is that there have been reamer modifications since the introduction of the 6.5 PRC, the latest using a longer throat to accommodate the longer high BC bullets and increasing powder capacity. Much like the 6.5x284, you can use a short action, but performance can be maximized with a long action, or one of the medium length actions that are available. The longer high BC 140's or the 2.95" COAL of the factory Hornady 143/147 ELD's is 2.95".
Unless I'm missing something(which is certainly possible), this seems like it would be a tight squeeze in a SA.

you are absolutely correct.. its better off in a medium action and why seekins makes it in there havak medium not the short

Looks like the wsm version would get me to 2.97, are you all seeing longer coals on you prc's?

do the 6.5gap its a ripper and works awesome in a wsm mag for the life of the barrel .081" fb .2962" NK and your rocking..built a ton and they shoot for a long time the PRC to get the life of the barrel burn out chasing lands youll need the .130" FB and handload to keep the OAL shorter to work for life of barrel through the DBM which is better suited for the 140 berger or the 140 JLK the 147 and 143 are super long bullets with a huge bearing surface.

the gunwerks 7LRM and the 6.5 PRC will not ever share the same specs EVER!! one is based off of the 375 ruger LONG ACTION and the other is based off of the RCM case SHORT ACTION.. im not saying your rifle isn't chambered in a 6.5 PRC but its not a 6.5 LRM (can you post pics of it if it indeed says 6.5 LRM on the side and a fired case of a 6.5 PRC after its fired in that chamber)) ??

and George did his first design on the RCM case years ago before the 6.5 GAP4S and actually went with the saum case due to the fact that its shorter, fatter, will feed for the life of the barrel through a short action mag and hit the 3100 fps rule while keeping pressures relatively low 60,000 or less to help barrel life if I remember correctly and brass quality was way better and more options for making it.. the 6.5 PRC factory ammo will fit in short action mag box... BARELY and if you were to load bergers or JLK in the now sammi chamber no way.. the freebore that is now the standard (which they've changed like three or four times) is .188" the first approval was at .130".

Gunwerks didn't use the 7LRM as the parant case for the design ;) it just shared the same name sake... kind of like the 6.5 PRC and the .300 PRC

Gunwerks didn't use the 7LRM as the parant case for the design ;) it just shared the same name sake... kind of like the 6.5 PRC and the .300 PRC

...and the pic of the chamber stamp/engraving? I listened to Aaron on the podcast and he implied that none of their rifles they were playing with left the shop. He made it very clear that he did not want a repeat of the issues with the LRM and getting it SAAMI approved. I will listen to it again as I remember the name having the word short in it.

Last edited:
Don't need too... my Gunwerks LRM shoots factory 6.5 PRC just fine
Let me help you out, they are not the same cartridge, not even close.

prc1801.gif

http://site-media.net/gunwerks/7LRMarticle(1).pdf

The only difference in the 6.5LRM and 7mm LRM is that the latter has been necked down to 6.5.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.