6,5 PRC --- need help

• Thread starter Deleted member 115654
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 115654

Need advice on duplication accuracy of Hornady factory ammo.

Been reloading decades and own many bughole rifles BUT the Hornady Match ammo shoots 1/2" 5 shot groups and I can't duplicate it.

H 1000 & same Hornady bullet w/same OAL with get me to 7/8th"

Suggestions ?

Have you called Hornady? I don't know that they will give you the recipe but I would start there. They may at least give you the powder they used.

This has been said here many times. Ammo company do NOT use cannister powders nor do they give out loading data for powders we cannot buy.

Thanks, I have RL 25 and 4831 SC. I will try !

Do you think factory OAL is okay. (Mauser M-18)

I have a 6MM Creedmoor that shot Hornady factory 103 ELD-X into the same hole. I never got it to shoot the 103 ELD-X reloads even though I duplicated the velocity and length to a tee. Once I gave up on the 103 ELD-X things started coming together. I switched to Berger 105 hybrids and RL-16 and all is well.
Moral to the story you probably can't duplicate that factory load and don't waste your time trying. Start with working up a load with a bullet you want to shoot and if it don't then change to something it will. I had a old timer tell me one time "Change a losing Game" If it is not working then you have nothing to lose by changing components.
I will mention one trick that most factory ammo uses is a very firm crimp. Try it.
Henry

I have a 6MM Creedmoor that shot Hornady factory 103 ELD-X into the same hole. I never got it to shoot the 103 ELD-X reloads even though I duplicated the velocity and length to a tee. Once I gave up on the 103 ELD-X things started coming together. I switched to Berger 105 hybrids and RL-16 and all is well.
Moral to the story you probably can't duplicate that factory load and don't waste your time trying. Start with working up a load with a bullet you want to shoot and if it don't then change to something it will. I had a old timer tell me one time "Change a losing Game" If it is not working then you have nothing to lose by changing components.
I will mention one trick that most factory ammo uses is a very firm crimp. Try it.
Henry

Thanks I have a Lee crimp die, I'll try it.

factory ammo uses blended powders not even for sale to the public. Hornadys superformance ammo don't even use the superformance powder available to the public.
I can tell you the five 147 factory match rounds I disassembled had between 55.0 and 55.4 grains and in my gun they averaged 2987 fps

Can 1010, was ypre was the powder ? I know it's a custom formulation but was it stick, ball, semi ball etc ? thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.