6.5 PRC, N565 OR H1000 that is the question

I always look for consistency. Shoot both powders side by side over as many days as possible and see which one holds up better. One or two range trips doesnt mean much.
I have 200 rounds through the three week old rifle and at least a dozen trips to the range. I have tested H1000 and N565 with many variables.
Both have very good results and both are very comparable. I ended up with the N565 as it had a slightly better ES/SD over H1000. Also, the velocity was slightly higher with less powder. Good advice though, a couple trips would be difficult to isolate all the variables.

Last edited:
Thats good. I would also test them in the cooler weather to see how stable the load is coming up to season. I never really worry about powder temp stability because I keep the rifle in tune for the conditions and none are really totally stable anyhow. And definitely compare the loads at the farthest distance you would shoot, you may be surprised. Many times 100yd groups can fool you. Good luck with it.

Anyone try N568 yet?
I do have a new 8 pounder, but will sell it or just hold on to it for a magnum build, some day. Im still licking my wounds over the total cost of the 6.5 PRC, this is a expensive hobby.lol. So , might be awhile before I get a chance to use it.
I keep telling myself, '' I dont have a gun problem, I have a safe problem." Im starting to feel like Stuart Smalley, but with firearms.

I do have a new 8 pounder, but will sell it or just hold on to it for a magnum build, some day. Im still licking my wounds over the total cost of the 6.5 PRC, this is a expensive hobby.lol. So , might be awhile before I get a chance to use it.
I keep telling myself, '' I dont have a gun problem, I have a safe problem." Im starting to feel like Stuart Smalley, but with firearms.
9BBA4910-D6C7-41DD-8F51-9E0386CF8A9D.jpeg

I havent had a chance to get out past 100 yards, my good friend with the membership is on vacation.
I did however run up to my 100 yard range this morning to test 6 different seating depth rounds. My goal was to find out which one has the best SD/ES and accuracy. I had planned to take the two best seating depth rounds to the 300 yard range later this week for final testing, in hopes they would stabilize at long range.

Well, that all changed this morning.
My groups were good(they have been crap and this is what was different this morning) and my velocity's were good as well. The only thing I changed, was, I used once fired brass and shot from the bench, not prone. I dont think the prone shots should have made that much of a difference as I shoot prone often with very good accuracy. So really, the major change was properly prepped once fired brass, im guessing. I have been using new brass.I will be back at the 100 tmro morning to do the final tests on seating depth, again. If everything goes well, (I pray it does) I should have two loads to test fire from 300 yards to 1000 yards.
After tmro's results I will load up some of the second best loads for testing as well. That way I have two to test just in case I need to have a backup. I sure hope tmro goes well, im getting tired and a little frustrated.
I wanted to say thanks for all the advice, its part of how I improve.
Some of the flyers are for sure the person pulling the trigger.
4 shots except 2.200 as it wasnt looking good so I stopped. Also 2.160, there was 5 as one for a fouler.
Bob, it may well be my addled old brain misfiring, but if I read the numbers on your targets correctly and your ES/SD results are accurate, I think you could fill in for Carlos Hathcock! Seriously, my friend, I have a load consistently giving me ~.25" 5 shot groups with an ES of 9 and SD at 3.3, and I'm as happy as a great big clam. Those are phenomenal numbers and what we old shooters call "bughole" groups. You're about as close to a one hole group as I've seen since pepper was new! That's some very fine shooting.

The Berger ogive is set a ways back so closes I can get with the short action factory mag box is about .245 off the lands. My mag box is 2.93, I loaded 2.88. The thought was to start shorter as its a hunting rifle and I have some concerns regarding field loading and concentricity.
A factory freebore prc is 188, a 195 touching lands will be about 3.065-3.070" coal. You're about 190k off lands. Stuffing the long heavy bullet that far into the case eats up powder space. Are there mods you can do to increase mag room?

Anyone try N568 yet?

Baney box would get COAL to about 3.100
Most actions will not accept the bainey, but most will take a Mbe-5 which gives 2.995 internal, still a lot more than available now. I know many people shoot the 156 @ 2.95 as per mag restrictions with good luck. This is all just a consideration if you're looking to run that 3000 fps. Mid 2900s is more than adequate. I was using them last year at 2750 out a 24" Tikka creedmore with RL26. The mule deer that I shot at 530y was stoned dead, hit it very hard.

Shot @ 100 yards and 300 yards this week. This is the 5 shot 100 yard from today. The 300 yard was decent, but there was a few flyers from the guy shooting the rifle. Most the 300 yard shots were right about 1.5 minutes. I think the rifle could end up being around 1/2 min with some fine tuning, I hope. The only issue im having now is, there is some off velocities from time to time. This started with once fired brass, so I think its something im doing or overlooking. I fine tuned a few things with the brass and Im hoping it makes a difference.
In order from today 3004,2978,2990,3010,3005,3000,2997,2991,2913,3004,2998,2989,3000,3003
I dropped 2 grains to 58.7 N565. Again, I think, I hope I can fix the ES with better brass prep.

Attachments

• 20210806_195310.jpg
    20210806_195310.jpg
    953.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210806_195305.jpg
    20210806_195305.jpg
    889.8 KB · Views: 91
N560. N565 I actually lost about 15 FPS. N560 was hands down the winner. It's a hunting rifle so it might get shot 30 times a year. My other three I'm getting 3120 to 3140 out of a 24" with N565
156s @ 3120-3140 in a 24" prc. I can barely even run those speeds in a 6.5 max case with 10gr more capacity from a 26" bartlein and N570.