6.5 PRC, N565 OR H1000 that is the question

Thanks for all the great insite, this is a great forum.
I went back to the range to do some final ES SD accuracy tests. Well, everything went out the door. My ES was around 20, was under 10 the day before. Only thing I can think is the rifle needs to be cleaned, after 28 rounds, total 116 rounds with break in and cleanings. Accuracy was slightly off as well, was shooting well under 1/2 min., today was min plus. Everything else was the same. I got to tell ya, this precision reloading rabbit hole is or can be frustrating at times. Back to the drawing board.

I went back to the range to do some final ES SD accuracy tests. Well, everything went out the door. My ES was around 20, was under 10 the day before. Only thing I can think is the rifle needs to be cleaned, after 28 rounds, total 116 rounds with break in and cleanings. Accuracy was slightly off as well, was shooting well under 1/2 min., today was min plus. Everything else was the same. I got to tell ya, this precision reloading rabbit hole is or can be frustrating at times. Back to the drawing board.
Possible but doubtful. I usually pull carbon 50-100 depending on how it works out. No more than 100 tho and on the 6.5 with a suppressor. I am definitely closer to the 50.

ES of 20 or less is not bad at all. People claim all sort of crap when it comes to sd and es with small samplings, I am guilty too. If I run 40 rounds and have an sd in the single digits I am tickeled. My neigbor will shoot 3-5 and see a low sd and claims that is what it will do all day every day. When we shoot he is always confused why things fall apart. It's the nature of the beast.

My personal opinion is that 3000 fps with a 24" barrel is fast and you maybe on the upper end of a narrow node. I'd be willing to bet if you back off .5 and retest in the area of that you will find a more stabile load. That is of course if your cases are consistent, case web, neck tension, shoulder set back, annealing, coal, trim length, blah blah blah.

Keep swinging Bob! Might have just been a bad when the ballistic juju was funky. Just remember that if you did it once, you can do it again! Good shooting my friend, and I agree re: this forum. There are bunch of very experienced and generous folks here. I don't post much, but I've learned a lot just reading. Many thanks to all the members of LRH.

Keep swinging Bob! Might have just been a bad when the ballistic juju was funky. Just remember that if you did it once, you can do it again! Good shooting my friend, and I agree re: this forum. There are bunch of very experienced and generous folks here. I don't post much, but I've learned a lot just reading. Many thanks to all the members of LRH.
Thanks

Possible but doubtful. I usually pull carbon 50-100 depending on how it works out. No more than 100 tho and on the 6.5 with a suppressor. I am definitely closer to the 50.

ES of 20 or less is not bad at all. People claim all sort of crap when it comes to sd and es with small samplings, I am guilty too. If I run 40 rounds and have an sd in the single digits I am tickeled. My neigbor will shoot 3-5 and see a low sd and claims that is what it will do all day every day. When we shoot he is always confused why things fall apart. It's the nature of the beast.

My personal opinion is that 3000 fps with a 24" barrel is fast and you maybe on the upper end of a narrow node. I'd be willing to bet if you back off .5 and retest in the area of that you will find a more stabile load. That is of course if your cases are consistent, case web, neck tension, shoulder set back, annealing, coal, trim length, blah blah blah.
The rifle is suppressed. I will reduce the load as its at max. I wanted the 3k FPS. When I tested 57g H1000 the results were very good, just too slow for me 2750fps. Neck tension is 1.0-1.5 thousand, New ADG brass, 2.880(mag box is @ 2.90) coal, about .200 off the lands @ ogive with 156 Bergers, 215M or BR2 both working well, RCBS light calibrated every time. Have a FX120I on the way. Probably didnt need it, however this will remove any powder charge doubt and it was on sale for $450 shipped. What are your thoughts?

5 shot groups. N565 was carbon walking from heat, I think. circles are 1/2''
58.5 2919 avrg H1000 2985 avrg
N565 w/sd 5.3 H W/ 8.3
20210721_102927.jpg20210721_102938.jpg

Again, the next day, everything went out the window.

Last edited:
Not a huge thing but I took Rhett's word for it and tried Fed 210M and I had lower SD and ES than with BR2's. I've used Fed 215M mags in 300 Rum, 300 Win mag and 7mm Rem mag for many years with good results also.

The rifle is suppressed. I will reduce the load as its at max. I wanted the 3k FPS. When I tested 57g H1000 the results were very good, just too slow for me 2750fps. Neck tension is 1.0-1.5 thousand, New ADG brass, 2.880(mag box is @ 2.90) coal, about .200 off the lands @ ogive with 156 Bergers, 215M or BR2 both working well, RCBS light calibrated every time. Have a FX120I on the way. Probably didnt need it, however this will remove any powder charge doubt and it was on sale for $450 shipped. What are your thoughts?

5 shot groups. N565 was carbon walking from heat, I think. circles are 1/2''
View attachment 286557View attachment 286555
We all want speed but max loads can be finicky as heck. In the end is 2950 that much worse than 3000? Literally seen people shoot an es of 50 and still hit the 1000 target frequently enough to think they are fine. IMHO I don't like your 58.5 load at all. 60.5 group is ok, less vertical but without velocity data above and below I cannot tell you if I like it that much or not. I am not a big group shooter guy. I shoot groups to get an idea of accuracy but I find a stabile velocity node while looking at group data as a confirmation.

I run a 18 and 22 inch barrel and see a crap ton of back flow in to the chamber. As a result I bought a bore tech chamber cleaner and clean my chamber frequently. I am not giving up shooting suppressed EVER, so I am fixing the chamber dirty issue. You might look at that.

Neck tension. I personally like 2-2.5. I use a smaller bushing and then a .262 mandrel to size inside to out.

Nice thing about h1000 is it has a pretty low burn temp so it'll help with barrel life. The vhit 500 series burn somewhat hot in comparison. But both powders are great. I'd roll with h1000 until you run out then use vv565 as a replacement if necessary
Your right good advice both are great but the 500 series burns 400 degrees hotter than the 100 series and around 350 degrees hotter than Hodgen powders

We all want speed but max loads can be finicky as heck. In the end is 2950 that much worse than 3000? Literally seen people shoot an es of 50 and still hit the 1000 target frequently enough to think they are fine. IMHO I don't like your 58.5 load at all. 60.5 group is ok, less vertical but without velocity data above and below I cannot tell you if I like it that much or not. I am not a big group shooter guy. I shoot groups to get an idea of accuracy but I find a stabile velocity node while looking at group data as a confirmation.

I run a 18 and 22 inch barrel and see a crap ton of back flow in to the chamber. As a result I bought a bore tech chamber cleaner and clean my chamber frequently. I am not giving up shooting suppressed EVER, so I am fixing the chamber dirty issue. You might look at that.

Neck tension. I personally like 2-2.5. I use a smaller bushing and then a .262 mandrel to size inside to out.
The mandrel is a .262 and you are the second person to suggest increasing neck tension to 2-2.5. The other person who suggested it is a gunsmith/rifle builder. I too wouldnt want to give up my suppressor, love it.

Not a huge thing but I took Rhett's word for it and tried Fed 210M and I had lower SD and ES than with BR2's. I've used Fed 215M mags in 300 Rum, 300 Win mag and 7mm Rem mag for many years with good results also.
Thats the one primer I dont have at the moment. Tried trading a new box of 450's for new box of 210M, but no takers. I have 210's and might give them a try.

Thats the one primer I dont have at the moment. Tried trading a new box of 450's for new box of 210M, but no takers. I have 210's and might give them a try.
I use only N560, 210M primers and .002" neck tension. I actually get lower es and sd with 560 than 565 and still get the same fps. And I have 3 prc's and all within .3 grains of powder as far as nodes. The coal's are a different

I got RL26 and H1000. Both were great and awesome like they always were. But I have lots of the VV's in powder and the 560 & 565 are just really consistent.

I had to prove to myself. I just assumed BR2 would be fine. Not in my rifle. Hope you can find some . I'd definitely try the 210's.