6.5 PRC, N565 OR H1000 that is the question

A guy named Bob

I have a new 6.5PRC with 24'' barrel shooting lights out with both H1000 and N565. My question to the LRH members. What powder is better? My groups are about the same, my ES is the same. I can get a little more speed with the N565, but happy with 3k FPS shooting a 156 Berger. I will be using the rifle for hunting so temp and elevation differences will be a concern.
I have plenty of both, so its not a what ever I can get issue. Not sure, so figured I would ask.
Thanks for any advice.

H1000.. end of discussion!
Its that powder all others are measured by!
Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards VV565 at first, but then I spoke with a pro reloader. I was told that VV isnt that great and has issues with temperatures. Im too new at this to know for sure so figured I would ask.
Thanks again for the input. H1000 it is.

Last edited:
565 is temp stable. I run 560 in mine w/ 156 and it's great too. But not as stable as 565. Check your ES.
60g H1000 @ sd 4.3, es 10
58.5 N565 @ sd 5.2, es 12
I do have a FX120i that should be here tmro or very soon. I will/should have ideal powder weights then, I hope. Do you feel the N565 has better ES?

Not neccesarily. Both are great powders. Just pointing out that N565 along w/ N555 and the new 568 are temp stable. Missed the part of your ES being the same. I would use the one that you don't use loading other cartridges you have to conserve.

Not neccesarily. Both are great powders. Just pointing out that N565 along w/ N555 and the new 568 are temp stable. Missed the part of your ES being the same. I would use the one that you don't use loading other cartridges you have to conserve.
Thats interesting as I always thought N570 was the goto powder for 300 NM, especially with 245g Berger's.

H1000 is pretty hard to beat but VV560-565 have been solid for me too. Personally, I don't see any powder being totally insensitive to temp. There is a reason why there is chart for powder fps per degree. The issue with the charts is that is also dependent on the burn characteristics of your specific application. A short fat case vs a long skinny case, a magnum primer vs non, amount of powder.....

A really simple test is easy to do. Take 3-5 rounds of each, pop them in the freezer. Transfer to a cooler. Go to the range. Conduct a quick test of the FPS of each cold compared to hot and you have minor basic math to conduct. One thing to remember is to NOT let a cold case sit in a hot chamber. Pop it in and send it as fast as possible.

Hornady 4dof claims H1000 is .46 fps/degree. Independent data shows .21.

H1000 is pretty hard to beat but VV560-565 have been solid for me too. Personally, I don't see any powder being totally insensitive to temp. There is a reason why there is chart for powder fps per degree. The issue with the charts is that is also dependent on the burn characteristics of your specific application. A short fat case vs a long skinny case, a magnum primer vs non, amount of powder.....

A really simple test is easy to do. Take 3-5 rounds of each, pop them in the freezer. Transfer to a cooler. Go to the range. Conduct a quick test of the FPS of each cold compared to hot and you have minor basic math to conduct. One thing to remember is to NOT let a cold case sit in a hot chamber. Pop it in and send it as fast as possible.

Hornady 4dof claims H1000 is .46 fps/degree. Independent data shows .21.
If you had to choose one powder for the 6.5PRC 156g berger. What would it be and why?
Thanks for the help.

Congratulations, sounds like you have two really good loads that will work interchangeably in your rifle. I would just pick one and roll with it till you're out of powder then switch to the other one to keep you going. That is of course if you don't burn out the barrel first. If you really have to know which one is better, shoot 10 rounds of each at the longest distance you have access to and see which holds the tightest with the least vertical at that distance, preferably 800-1000 yards. Do this on a light wind day if possible to mostly rule out the wind as a factor to group size; but those 156's at 3000 buck it pretty good. Let your rifle tell you what it wants. The simple temp stability test is a good idea too. I've found VV 565 to be very stable between 30 and 85 degrees but have seen a 30 FPS jump on a 95+ degree day. Never tried H1000 but most everyone seems to agree it is one of the most stable available.