bbckfh

I'm going to skip the "is 6.5 PRC worth it" discussion, since for me it is... I don't reload.

So for those of us looking for magazine-fed options, rather than BDL-style floorplates, here's one.

I have two X-Bolts in 6.5 Creedmoor, and love them. I've never had any of the magazine-related issues that some report. I like the rotary design, and despite hunting in the cold the polymer has always been smooth, robust and reliable.

I'd called Browning, and their oh-so-wonderful customer service couldn't tell me the internal length of their magazine, other than that it was meant to fit short-action cartridges, so ~2.86" COAL. So I went out on a limb and bought a 300 WSM magazine, and what do you know? It works!

Image #1 (below): The perspective in this view is a little odd, and it looks like the top cartridge won't fit, but since you can see the one below it, obviously it does.
20181107_074700556_iOS.jpg

Image #2 (below): This one's a little better. There isn't a whole lot of space in front of the meplat, but it's sufficient.
20181107_074721397_iOS.jpg

Image #3 (below): As you can see, the COAL of a loaded Hornady Precision Hunter (this is representative of the 5 different loaded rounds I checked, is right at 2.950".
20181107_074850752_iOS.jpg

So the trick would be adapting the Browning DBM to another action's screw holes, since the trigger guard is integral to the DBM. But other than that this is a really nice flush-f itting option with a rounded profile that makes for a super-comfortable-carrying hunting rifle. And for those wondering if they can re-barrel any X-Bolt, you can, and get a 3000 fps 6.5 option with factory-loaded ammo.

By the by, I just had Pierce re-barrel my old X-Bolt Hunter in .308 Win to 6.5 Creedmoor. The threads were pretty fine and they had to put some elbow grease to get it off because apparently Browning/Miroku is still using the thread locker on them, but it came off just fine without inordinate force and didn't mess anything up.

Congrats on that discovery.
Just Dremel a bit out of the inside front of the mag for more clearance. Grinding off another 1/8" won't compromise strength of functioning of the magazine. If that seems like too much make it 1/16". A skinny, tapered Dremel grinder stone is just right.

Speaking of X-Bolt mags, a matching bronze mag for my X-Bolt Pro was $15. more than a plain black one! $65. for a mag is like buying a **** TIKKA or SAKO mag.

BTW, I just bought a Browning X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 CM since I load for it for competition. Love that rifle. I live in Nevada and it is my "mountain rifle" at 6 lbs. 1 oz. Going to get a MARCH scope next summer in 3 - 24 42, FFP, mil/mil and illuminated reticle. Very spendy but I want a quality scope on that quality rifle, one that is light, short with ED glass.
And I already got Talley "Hell's Canyon" bronze Cerakoted rings W/bubble level on top rear ring. Matches the rifle perfectly. Using a SWFA SS 3 - 15 x 42 scope 'til the MARCH arrives.

Eric B.

Hawkins Precision is doing a DBM for the Defiance XM action. I believe Defiance has one as well.

Congrats on that discovery.
Just Dremel a bit out of the inside front of the mag for more clearance. Grinding off another 1/8" won't compromise strength of functioning of the magazine. If that seems like too much make it 1/16". A skinny, tapered Dremel grinder stone is just right.

Speaking of X-Bolt mags, a matching bronze mag for my X-Bolt Pro was $15. more than a plain black one! $65. for a mag is like buying a **** TIKKA or SAKO mag.

BTW, I just bought a Browning X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 CM since I load for it for competition. Love that rifle. I live in Nevada and it is my "mountain rifle" at 6 lbs. 1 oz. Going to get a MARCH scope next summer in 3 - 24 42, FFP, mil/mil and illuminated reticle. Very spendy but I want a quality scope on that quality rifle, one that is light, short with ED glass.
And I already got Talley "Hell's Canyon" bronze Cerakoted rings W/bubble level on top rear ring. Matches the rifle perfectly. Using a SWFA SS 3 - 15 x 42 scope 'til the MARCH arrives.

Eric B.

I like it! If I use it I'll play with the ol' dremel.

Can you PM where you got that deal on the creedmoor mag? Bronze doesn't phase me.

Love the idea. I've got the MOA, non-illuminated version of that March. You won't be disappointed.

So my one X-Bolt is the 26" LR one in a McMillan Game Scout. Talley rings and a VX-6HD 2-12.

Probably a little closer to your Pro (really nice stick, BTW!).

My other is a Hunter with a 19" fluted Bartlein with Talley rings and a S&B 2-12. Better for a deer gun in the woods. I've got a Richards stock that I'm working on... just because I needed the project and wanted something with a slightly higher comb.

My March will go on my 6.5PRC.

I rechambered my one x-bolt to Creedmoor.

I'm separately building a PRC on an ARC Nucleus action.

OOooo! I love that Nucleus action. Probably the best 3 lug action on the planet. And it has a separate lockup area that could be replaced if it got sloppy. (But with Nucleus' high quality of materials i doubt that would happen.)

Please send me a photo of your Nucleus actioned rifle when complete.
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.