6.5 PRC load question

All great info. Thank you. This gun is ridiculous the way it shoots those 156 Bergers. I can't wait for it to warm up so we can get outside and stretch the distance out.

I ran 57gr RE26 under the 156EOL in Hornady brass from a 23.5" bbl. Velocity is just under 3,000 ft/sec in 75 degree temps. In my rifle this load is "warm". 56.0 would be the practical max in my rifle.

Ok, so I have been reloading since I could reach the handle on the press. Not precision reloading, reloading to save money and load better bullets.
Fast forward, I am 50yrs old, my kids are out of the house and I have officially jumped in to the deep end of the pool of learning precision reloading over the last 4ish years. I have learned a ton from the good members on this site.
My question surrounds max loads and pressure signs. I have a Proof MTR in 6.5 PRC. During break in, load development and now dialing in my load this gun is shooting sub .5 moa groups in my local underground 100yd range.
I ran a ladder test for velocity and to look for pressure signs in the underground range (roughly 62 degrees) being it has been -30 in ND for the last month. No visible pressure.
Loading ADG brass
GM210M primers
156 Bergers
56.8 gr of RL26.
This loaded is running 3030fps per my magnetospeed with an SD of 2.4. Crazy good. My brass shows no extractor marks, primers look good and the bolt lifts with no resistance.

Should I be concerned shooting this large of a load when summer temps are in the 80s? With no good published load data I am looking for advice or input on this load.

Thanks in advance.
I have been running 56.5 grains of RL 26 over a 143 gr ELD-X in all conditions out of a CA MPR with no issues at 3070 fps. I know the bullet weight differs but...

Ok, so I have been reloading since I could reach the handle on the press. Not precision reloading, reloading to save money and load better bullets.
Fast forward, I am 50yrs old, my kids are out of the house and I have officially jumped in to the deep end of the pool of learning precision reloading over the last 4ish years. I have learned a ton from the good members on this site.
My question surrounds max loads and pressure signs. I have a Proof MTR in 6.5 PRC. During break in, load development and now dialing in my load this gun is shooting sub .5 moa groups in my local underground 100yd range.
I ran a ladder test for velocity and to look for pressure signs in the underground range (roughly 62 degrees) being it has been -30 in ND for the last month. No visible pressure.
Loading ADG brass
GM210M primers
156 Bergers
56.8 gr of RL26.
This loaded is running 3030fps per my magnetospeed with an SD of 2.4. Crazy good. My brass shows no extractor marks, primers look good and the bolt lifts with no resistance.

Should I be concerned shooting this large of a load when summer temps are in the 80s? With no good published load data I am looking for advice or input on this load.

Thanks in advance.
Is it a 24-incher - like this one?

Here, they have them under 2700-fps.

Here, they have them under 2700-fps. But which cartridge? :D

6.5 PRC loads

For a Safety Check in warm/hot weather, I'd load a few one and one-half grain under, one-grain under, and half a grain under, and check for pressure signs.

I have a stock 6.5 PRC Mossberg Patriot Predator (Strata) with Cerakote finish, sitting in a Boyd's Forest Camo Laminate stock that I have yet to load for. 135-gr. Berger Classic Hunters (B.C .584), with good hunting reviews at Midway USA.
Scroll down for Reviews: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018224534

I'll be using Hodgdon powders.
Nikon M-Tactical MK1-MOA 3-12x42 SF scope.

Barrel is free-floated. :D

Total cost for what's pictured: around $1,000.
Then the ammo, dies, bullets, powder, primers...
Got it all before the 'Plandemic.'

Attachments

• 20201109_131407.jpg
    20201109_131407.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 20201109_131348.jpg
    20201109_131348.jpg
    734.7 KB · Views: 138
  • spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 20201109_131235.jpg
    20201109_131235.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 114
  • one.jpg
    one.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Loading ADG brass
GM210M primers
156 Bergers
56.8 gr of RL26.

Thanks in advance.
running 57.5 up here in Alaska bighorn action proof barrel you sould be good to go

Since you did a ladder test do you have a lower node that is flat? If so, now you have one to test in case you do see oressure wuth your 57.6grn load in higher temps.

Loading ADG brass
GM210M primers
156 Bergers
56.8 gr of RL26.

Thanks in advance.
Loading ADG brass
GM210M primers
156 Bergers
56.8 gr of RL26.

Thanks in advance.
Don't know if this is real revaluat but I'm loading 60.0 gr of RL 26 behind 124 gr Hammer Hunters running 3230. Have no pressure issues at all. Went last fall to sw Tx from sw Wy probably 40-60* here 60-70* there no issues. Shot thru a chrono here yesterday @ 32* headed to sw Tx next week where it looks like it will be in the 70's and 80's. Not expecting any problems.

For a Safety Check in warm/hot weather, I'd load a few one and one-half grain under, one-grain under, and half a grain under, and check for pressure signs.

I have a stock 6.5 PRC Mossberg Patriot Predator (Strata) with Cerakote finish, sitting in a Boyd's Forest Camo Laminate stock that I have yet to load for. 135-gr. Berger Classic Hunters (B.C .584), with good hunting reviews at Midway USA.
Scroll down for Reviews: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018224534

I'll be using Hodgdon powders.
Nikon M-Tactical MK1-MOA 3-12x42 SF scope.

Barrel is free-floated. :D

Total cost for what's pictured: around $1,000.
Then the ammo, dies, bullets, powder, primers...
Got it all before the 'Plandemic.'
My Refuge:
https://earth.google.com/web/search/204+River+St,+Hyattville,+WY+82428/@44.2465,-107.602,1361.03226691a,731.11131289d,35y,0h,45t,0r/data=Co0BGmMSXQolMHg1MzRhNTUwYjQ4ZmI1M2Q1OjB4NTA4ZTgwMDFmZjI4ZjBhOBlkO99PjR9GQCFJDAIrh-ZawCoiMjA0IFJpdmVyIFN0LCBIeWF0dHZpbGxlLCBXWSA4MjQyOBgCIAEiJgokCcyMtz8kI0ZAEeNqRykDHUZAGc0PR1665lrAIdPYDOxN6VrAKA

Just click on link, and do not move mouse or hit keyboard -- wait, and just watch for a minute, then scroll out. :D
You can enter your address in the search box and do the same.

Last edited:

Here, they have them under 2700-fps.
Yes that is my rifle.

I just received my new 6.5 PRC....McWhorter built and did the load dev. They sent me 100 rounds of 140gr Berger Elites, loaded with 57.0 of R26.
I would hope they know what they're doing....and if anything err on the side of caution. It's interesting though that the last rifle they did for me, a 6.5SAUM, they loaded 60.0 gr of R26. I sold the rifle quickly b/c it was way heavier than I thought it would be, and someone wanted it bad.