6.5 PRC large rifle vs large rifle magnum primers

I run an Alamo setup like yours same barrel. I use the 156's, ADG brass 210M primers, N560 59.0 grains 3,108' 0.010" OL. 5 Shot group shown. Yes it's fast and I used the higher node. Verified it at 1,000 yards this past week aslo. Still held 0.5 moa at 1000 yards.

APR 6.5PRC.png

I run an Alamo setup like yours same barrel. I use the 156's, ADG brass 210M primers, N560 59.0 grains 3,108' 0.010" OL. 5 Shot group shown. Yes it's fast and I used the higher node. Verified it at 1,000 yards this past week aslo. Still held 0.5 moa at 1000 yards.

View attachment 300445
I'm using cci250 n165 6.5 prc 131 gr hammer 3180 124 gr hammer 3300 and the 123 gr absolute 3452 fps 26 in proof 1-8 and a 25 in 1-7.5 Bartlien still velocity on the table next powder will be n 560 all current loads are with n165

I have a 6.5x06 24" 1/8 , stainless bbl on a Ruger action. I list this because both cartridges are near identical in performance. I use CCI #250 LR mag primers with Rel 26 & the Nosler 140gr AB bullet. My chrono reads 3075 FPS, & zero over pressure signs. A sweet , flat shooting load. Almost forgot to mention, sub 1/2" , three shot groups. This is a hunting rifle , not a competitive rig, I don't shoot barrel burning five shot groups.
Another load Ihave that also shoots great in this rifle is the Hammer 121gr ( designed for 1/8 twist ) using IMR - 4350, CCI #200 LR , for 3238 fps. Now I would guess H-4831 would come close to this velocity in a 24: Your's being a 22" bbl. might fall a bit short. Shot my elk with this bullet last season. One shot complete pas thru of both front shouldWers.
Well at least you have primers, tying to work up a load, have 6.5 PRC 24" barrel, Superformance, but not any other powder excetp tor IMZR4350 to try and this the IMR is to fast. Also have a ton of large rifle mag. primers, could they be sued witht he 6.5 PRC AND SUPERFORMANCE?

You should have no problem using mag primers with the Superformance powder. Just start 2 or 3 grains lower & work back up. A shame we are so far apart. If closer we could work up some great loads. I know for a fact Rel 26 will make your PRC a screamer. Hopefully these powders will start showing up. The absolute very best to you.

I am having a 6.5 PRC being built on a 22inch 1:8 proof barrel. I have RL-26, H1000, and H4831sc powders. I haven't determined the bullet yet bc I don't het have the gun, but am interested in the 124gr HH, 127 LRX, or something like the 140gr Accubonds. I have CCI 250 and Fed215 primers on hand but wondering if for the 6.5 PRC I should invest in some Fed210?

What is everyone's experience with large rifle primers vs large magnum rifle primers for the 6.5 PRC?

Thanks in advance
I shoot 215 match with no problem . H1000,7828ssc.RL26 works good

I am having a 6.5 PRC being built on a 22inch 1:8 proof barrel. I have RL-26, H1000, and H4831sc powders. I haven't determined the bullet yet bc I don't het have the gun, but am interested in the 124gr HH, 127 LRX, or something like the 140gr Accubonds. I have CCI 250 and Fed215 primers on hand but wondering if for the 6.5 PRC I should invest in some Fed210?

What is everyone's experience with large rifle primers vs large magnum rifle primers for the 6.5 PRC?

Thanks in advance
215 match work fine PS. Invest in whatever you can find

Thanks in advance
We are generally mag primer guys in everything. Sometimes this can show what I call phantom pressure. All the classic over pressure signs of bolt lift and beat brass, but not high vel. The 1st few 6.5 PRC's that we loaded, we used mag primers and got very nice loads at 3200ish fps with the 124g Hammer Hunter. That was max. I thought Nosler data was out of line. We then had a customer tell us about standard lr primers in the prc, so we tried it on the next one. Sure enough, we were able to go 4g more powder and about 250fps faster before hitting pressure. So, definitely avoid mag primers in the prc.

We are generally mag primer guys in everything. Sometimes this can show what I call phantom pressure. All the classic over pressure signs of bolt lift and beat brass, but not high vel. The 1st few 6.5 PRC's that we loaded, we used mag primers and got very nice loads at 3200ish fps with the 124g Hammer Hunter. That was max. I thought Nosler data was out of line. We then had a customer tell us about standard lr primers in the prc, so we tried it on the next one. Sure enough, we were able to go 4g more powder and about 250fps faster before hitting pressure. So, definitely avoid mag primers in the prc.

Well chit

View attachment 300445
Really nice group, question , friend has a 300 PRC , it's a new one, we took it out to shoot and were shooting the 300 PRC Hornady ELD-X AMMO, you almost or do have to really hit the bolt after each shot, like really hit it hard to eject the spent round, any ideas, head space is off, it's a custom build rifle, does not seem correct to me, you can't just lift the bolt, it has to be almost hit up to eject it. ?

Really nice group, question , friend has a 300 PRC , it's a new one, we took it out to shoot and were shooting the 300 PRC Hornady ELD-X AMMO, you almost or do have to really hit the bolt after each shot, like really hit it hard to eject the spent round, any ideas, head space is off, it's a custom build rifle, does not seem correct to me, you can't just lift the bolt, it has to be almost hit up to eject it. ?
Put some grease on the bolt lugs. Clean the new barrel. It might be a tight throat which causes problems.

Put some grease on the bolt lugs. Clean the new barrel. It might be a tight throat which causes problems.
If greasing the lugs doesn't work , who ever custom built it needs too be aware of the issue and correct it . The bolt should function with ease , unless a overpressure round is fired in it . My assumption is the eldx ammo is factory. Sounds like there is a definite issue with the gunsmithing.

Recent Posts