6.5 PRC for Extreme Long Range Hunting?

Litehiker

With bullets 150 grains and higher it seems the 6.5 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) would be a good ELH cartridge. Not a bad "barrel burner" and very flat shooting with enough energy at say, 900 yards and out to 1,200 yards to kill deer and antelope. At 150 grains and above its BCs are very high and with VLD bullets it would good in the wind.

Anyone have hunting experience with this relatively new cartridge?

Eric B.

With bullets 150 grains and higher it seems the 6.5 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) would be a good ELH cartridge. Not a bad "barrel burner" and very flat shooting with enough energy at say, 900 yards and out to 1,200 yards to kill deer and antelope. At 150 grains and above its BCs are very high and with VLD bullets it would good in the wind.

Anyone have hunting experience with this relatively new cartridge?

Eric B.
Killed several with 140 Amax, 130 AB, and 120 /Nosler partition. All under 305 yards mostly out of a Grendel AR. Also killed several turkey and coyotes with them, worked well at those distances so I would think they would work in the PRC.

I just returned from my 1st hunt for Ibex in Kyrgyzstan with a 6.5 PRC and it performed wonderfully. I'm running a 20-inch barrel with 143 ELD-X at around 2870 fps propelled by Retumbo. First shot was DIRT at about 410 meters.

I've shot this rifle out to 600 yards so far and it's a great caliber in my opinion. I have two 6.5x284's I prefer the PRC over both. I will say that there's a big difference in the quality of available components is probably the biggest drawback from my experience so far.

I fully agree that there is no ballistic difference or "magic" between the 6.5 PRC, 6.5x284,260AI, 6.5-06, etc. There will likely be more difference between specific barrel performances, given identical parameters/conditions. In terms of the often discussed barrel life paranoia, the 6.5PRC has the greatest over-bore of the bunch. The 6.5 PRC marketing hype seems to be having its effect.
IMO, the decision of using the 140 vs 150 will come down to the 150 class bullet performance on game, not only at the extended ranges, but at 400-800 yard ranges where 90+% of the long range hunting shots are taken. The ballistic and terminal performance of the 140 class bullets are well proven and understood. The 150's may very well prove to be excellent, but, IMO, they have not yet had enough track time with the 6.5x284/6.5 PRC class cartridges. At 800+ yards, game is killed with the 6.5 by "very" precise bullet placement....more-so then a 100-200FP difference in energy.

Last edited:
I'm just finishing setup on 6.5 PRC and plan on using on deer and antelope in one month. Have had good results with Berger 140 and the 135 Hunter. Initially tried a couple powders (Retumbo, H1000, 4831,& 4350). Now testing RL 26 and velocity and accuracy have been tops,
Just refining the load now!

CLP, thanks for the first hand experience. Your Kyrgyzstan hunt was just the "proof" that I felt would probably be coming out of the field from this new cartridge.

As one who shoots the 6.5 Creedmoor in competition and for hunting - different rifles, natch - I think the 6.5 PRC will find a home in some truly good rifles that it "likes".

The right barrel length (likely 22 to 24 inches ) and a good action will put this cartridge into the mountain rifle cartridge class. When stalking closer than 1,000 yards/meters to a mountain goat or bighorn sheep is impossible, the wind nearly still and the shooter well trained then the 6.5 PRC will come into its own. Send that 150 to 160 grain VLD or Hybrid bullet and it will do the job.

Eric B.

Yep Greg, the 6.5/284 is only a bit slower than the 6.5 PRC and likely its barrels will last a tiny bit longer. The difference is just splitting hairs.

Eric B.

While there is no difference in practical performance, technically, the 6.5x284 is a "bit faster" with 1.5% greater case capacity(68.3g vs 67.2gr H2O). Time will tell with the differences in barrel life....IMO, this will likely be nil as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.