6.5 PRC for Aoudad??

I'm probably the most trusting in your bullets or the dumbest or luckiest person to use them.
It's getting harder and harder to drag out anything bigger than a 6.5 man bun anymore for normal hunting ranges.
My choice of bullets keep getting smaller in cal and weight , I might need some HAMMER pellets in . 177 cal next.

If you're not eating the meat, you're crazy. It is good. I was hunting really steep country so I wanted a light rifle. I used a TC Contender carbine in 7-30 Waters with a 21 inch barrel and 120 gr. Branes TTSX at about 2400 fps. I shot 4 with that gun. Every one dropped on the spot. A bullet through both shoulders will drop any animal. I've since started using a 7mm WSM for more range. I posted in another thread about using a deer call on a ram with gpod results.

It was watching me from 230 yards and stomping its front feet. I used the deer call and it started walking towards me. I don't know how close it would have come because it was soon shot.

My guide told me they have amazing eyesight and will see you from 500 yards. Must use all camo, and not stand up creating an outline.
Not sure how many aoudads ever saw a human, but he was very cautious.

This happened after sundown, so maybe he wasn't seeing clearly. They do have good eyesight, and in open country we crawl over the top of ridges when we are close.

They have been using the 6.5 by 55 for over 100 years on moose with not nearly as good of bullet design as we have today good luck aim small

The one I shot last week went down quick with a 28 Nosler. He was blind in his left eye so he could only see us 50% of the time 😁.
20230209_155055.jpg

I got back from my TX trip and apparently shot a nice ram. The reason I say apparently is that it was pretty much the first ram I saw. I passed on it for a few days and the guy whose place we were on was beside himself. I looked at some other sheep before I decided to go and try and find the one I passed on originally again. Found him again and it took one shot from my 6.5 prc and a 124 Hammer at about 250 to put him down in a hurry. I doubt the thing lived more than 10 seconds after I shot it. I was wondering what was going to happen since I was told they were "tougher than elk" and could take a lot of lead. My buddy shot his with a 6.5 PRC as well...same result. I just followed the front leg straight up about 1/3rd and let er buck. Pretty easy place to shoot them if you ask me. All in all it was a cool hunt. A few people I talked to likened the hunt itself to a Mountain Goat hunt or a Sheep hunt. We hunted some decently rugged country, but my Aoudad hunt was a walk in the park compared to the goat and sheep hunts I have been on.
Aoudad edit.jpg

Last edited:
Mine died pretty quicky too. 6.5CM 1 shot through the boiler room. He walked 5 feet, and sat down slowly like a squat. Never got up.

I got back from my TX trip and apparently shot a nice ram. The reason I say apparently is that it was pretty much the first ram I saw. I passed on it for a few days and the guy whose place we were on was beside himself. I looked at some other sheep before I decided to go and try and find the one I passed on originally again. Found him again and it took one shot from my 6.5 prc and a 124 Hammer at about 250 to put him down in a hurry. I doubt the thing lived more than 10 seconds after I shot it. I was wondering what was going to happen since I was told they were "tougher than elk" and could take a lot of lead. My buddy shot his with a 6.5 PRC as well...same result. I just followed the front leg straight up about 1/3rd and let er buck. Pretty easy place to shoot them if you ask me. All in all it was a cool hunt. A few people I talked to likened the hunt itself to a Mountain Goat hunt or a Sheep hunt. We hunted some decently rugged country, but my Aoudad hunt was a walk in the park compared to the goat and sheep hunts I have been on.View attachment 443452
Well done, Sir! Nice ram. Looks like he has a great scar on his face.