6.5 PRC for Aoudad??

KTP

I have a possible chance to hunt free range Aoudad in west Texas. This will be the first time for me on these critters. They are known for being big boned and considered tough. I have recently finished building a 6.5 PRC on a medium Zermatt action, Shilen barrel and it's topped with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44. I've developed a load that the rifle shoots very well and I've run it out to 500 yards on 4" steel. I'm shooting a Barnes 127 LRX at 3040 muzzle velocity, 2282 muzzle energy and still holding a velocity of 2117 at 500 yards and 1264# of energy. (Calculated with StrelokPro). For you guys that have hunted Aoudad will that be enough of a gun to handle the job?

You're probably good. I personally used a .300 win mag and would again if I ever get to go again. They are tough though. I watched my buddies ram take three hits from a 160gr accubond out of a 7mm Rem mag. The last put him down with a solid neck shot.

I'd be prepared to shoot at least 500 yards. We killed three rams in three days. Mine was 220yards, my brothers was like 340 or something and our buddies was like 440yards. Lots of opportunities at 700-800 yards though.

I think especially with a Barnes the prc is probably fine. Ours were shot with a 199gr hammer hunter, a 212gr Barnes lrx, and a 160gr accubond.

Depends —I have killed quite a few with 22, 24, and 25 calibers—I would not suggest u bring a 220 swift, or 243 but they work. A College friend of mines 11 year old son just killed a good ram with a suppressed 243 at 270 yards. My favorite is a 338 win mag/33 nosler/338 Norma—bucks the wind good and good past 300 yards—with plenty of power. Shot opportunities can be far—especially on some properties. One of our places you are probably not going to get closer than 300–but getting back to the subject a 6.5 PRC is fine—more than enough—but keep your shot placement good. Remember shoot further forward than you think.

I'm booked for aoudad the end of January. Was there 2 years ago and took my .338, but didn't necessarily need that much oomph. This time my friend and I are taking 6.5 RPM's. He took a bighorn at 275 with one shot from his RPM a couple months ago. Hit them properly and that 127 should be fine.

6.5 PRC is plenty. I've used from 25-06 to 338 RUM. Bring a gun you can shoot accurately at distance. 500+ yards shot is common for Aoudad. They do suck up a bullet better than North American game but one it the right place the results are the same

Depends —I have killed quite a few with 22, 24, and 25 calibers—I would not suggest u bring a 220 swift, or 243 but they work. A College friend of mines 11 year old son just killed a good ram with a suppressed 243 at 270 yards. My favorite is a 338 win mag/33 nosler/338 Norma—bucks the wind good and good past 300 yards—with plenty of power. Shot opportunities can be far—especially on some properties. One of our places you are probably not going to get closer than 300–but getting back to the subject a 6.5 PRC is fine—more than enough—but keep your shot placement good. Remember shoot further forward than you think.

As his username would suggest, this gentleman is right on target on this subject (small pun intended). I have only taken a handful of Aoudad myself, but based on my limited experience I also fall into the 6.5 PRC is plenty camp. I would probably run a bullet in the 140-156gn range personally to get all the BC I could, anticipating a longer shot with the wind conditions likely being less than ideal. But to each his own, and as others have said I'm sure your 127gn load will get it done.

As Aoudad shooter1975 suggests however, proper shot placement on these critters is critical. Remember, these were originally "African game animals" and their vitals are more forward and much lower than most people who haven't hunted them before realize. I have been on hunts with guys who thought they "put 5 great shots on one and it still wouldn't go down." In reality, while they would've been great shots on deer, they weren't punching holes in anything vital on the ram.

As his username would suggest, this gentleman is right on target on this subject (small pun intended). I have only taken a handful of Aoudad myself, but based on my limited experience I also fall into the 6.5 PRC is plenty camp. I would probably run a bullet in the 140-156gn range personally to get all the BC I could, anticipating a longer shot with the wind conditions likely being less than ideal. But to each his own, and as others have said I'm sure your 127gn load will get it done.

As Aoudad shooter1975 suggests however, proper shot placement on these critters is critical. Remember, these were originally "African game animals" and their vitals are more forward and much lower than most people who haven't hunted them before realize. I have been on hunts with guys who thought they "put 5 great shots on one and it still wouldn't go down." In reality, while they would've been great shots on deer, they weren't punching holes in anything vital on the ram.
You are right on with what you say about vital position. Every African PH I've talked to about shot placement always mentioned most North American hunters tend to aim too high and too far back. Even on WT or Mulies this can cause issues. Hunting in Africa has made me more aware of that tendency and I aim tight on the leg and in the middle of the lower half of the body on game shots for all perpendicular shots unless I am taking a high front shoulder.

This couldn't ring truer.

I've dumped 3 shots at 430 yards out of a 280AI shooting 140 gr AB's all because I was aiming too far back.
My second time hunting them, my 270WSM shooting 140 gr Bergers did the job with one well-placed shot at 418 yards.