6.5 PRC Factory nosler 142 ABLR load for elk?

ebby

Headed to NM next week for my son's elk hunt. He's likely going to use my 28 Nos but I just got a new APR 6.5 prc and had some factory nosler ammo that I was using for barrel break in. Of course it shoots them into tiny holes and I went ahead and dialed it in out to 600. They are going 2925fps from my setup currently. Would anyone hesitate to use this on an elk hunt?

I've used a 6.5 creed at much slower velocity with the 143 eldx in africa on Kudu, Eland, and Nyala and it worked great but I know how tough elk are. The ABLR is fairly soft too.

The reason I'm asking is that the 6.5 is a more compact and lighter weight rifle that might be better to tote around. Thanks guys!

Lee

So here is something to think about …
Will the bullet with confidence be able to break the shoulders and put It down ?

I've hunted NM twice now and got two nice elk . But they were near property boundaries . I had to put the animal down where it stood. For me personally i shoot a 338 win mag . With a 180 gr Barnes ttsx .
That did the trick .

Some folks think the 6.5 is plenty . I think so too as long as you take the time and wait for that broadside shot .

But that doesn't always work out ..

Not trying to cause grief …. Just adding a comment ..

Go get your elk !!!

Kind of my thoughts exactly. I feel certain that in perfect conditions it will work well. As you know things don't always go right in the elk woods. Might be better to have a little margin for error.

I do have a .300 Win we can take as a backup too.

Lee

It will work but I'd never leave more horse power in the truck to save a pound or so.

What did you get? I'm waiting on a 20 inch carbon an-ti in 7 saum now.

I was hoping it would be my elk backup for next month in NM to my 30 nos but it don't look good for load workup with my schedule. Can barely get out to shoot my 30 as is.

I got the TX Hunter special from APR. An-ti action, carbon barrel, alterra stock. 24" barrel 8 twist. During break in it was shooting into same hole at 100 with the factory ammo. 2 bullet splatters touching at 500 on steel.

I'm running it suppressed.

Lee

Lee,
My hunting pard shot this bull at 365 with a 142 ABLR out of a 6.5x284 at MV of around 2,975 IIRC. One shot, through boiler room into offside shoulder down and out. I'd say you're good, knowing how well you shoot!

F90A45B0-382F-433C-8AA3-2915F8C35C26.jpeg

I'd use it with confidence myself. No different than a 270 with the 150 ABLR at the same speed. Elk are tough but that is a great combo you've got.

These words are spot on!

Get in shape, fret not and light the torch... I shot a nice bull last fall using the 168 LRAB out of my Mash at 300 yards. Bull was slightly quartering away the bullet broke a shoulder going in, went up thru the chest, took out a piece of neck bone and I found the bullet near the right ear. Mr elk pretty much bounced!

I'm leaving fir an Idaho Elk hunt on the 8th.

I will be carrying a Ruger No1 6.5 PRC throwing a 124 Hammer Hunter pill.

Area we will be hunting is typically 400 yards or less.

Taking a 300 RUM as back up gun.

Attachments

• 20210926_104041.jpg
    20210926_104041.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 152
  • 20210926_104003.jpg
    20210926_104003.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 157
Headed to NM next week for my son's elk hunt. He's likely going to use my 28 Nos but I just got a new APR 6.5 prc and had some factory nosler ammo that I was using for barrel break in. Of course it shoots them into tiny holes and I went ahead and dialed it in out to 600. They are going 2925fps from my setup currently. Would anyone hesitate to use this on an elk hunt?

I've used a 6.5 creed at much slower velocity with the 143 eldx in africa on Kudu, Eland, and Nyala and it worked great but I know how tough elk are. The ABLR is fairly soft too.

The reason I'm asking is that the 6.5 is a more compact and lighter weight rifle that might be better to tote around. Thanks guys!

Lee
I started hunting with a 6.5 X 55 throwing 140 partitions out of the tube good for 300 yards or more. I have moved to the 264 mag. with the same 140 grain and finally the 338 mag. tossing 225 barns out the end. Now I have returned to the 6.5 X 55 with a new barrel and reamed out to an Ackley Improved, less weight and recoil and works well for me. Take what you can shoot the best and enjoy your hunt.

Will work well on elk. Just keep in mind elk are friggin tough And don't assume you missed because he doesn't act hit. My wife and kids Have shot many with a 270 130 ab. They perform just as they are supposed and we have only recovered a couple over the years, the rest went through. Many of the elk didn't show the hit unless you have a good spotter watching the shot. Good luck my friend!

We used the 6.5 PRC. It worked great. First shot was 500 and a little back. He followed up with 2 more and dropped him. Bullets performed well. We recovered one of the follow up shots and he was super excited. His first elk hunt and he started off with a bang! That's the 28 Nos in the pic. We decided to carry that in for the recovery in case he got up. We wanted the bigger bullet.

DA92-C89-C-7674-4-F5-D-B2-AA-00656-EAE90-C2.jpg

22-CE9-FBD-ECAA-4-BF8-B747-F8-E379-DB928-B.jpg

0-D27436-A-CB33-459-F-A8-F9-28355999-F6-FA.jpg

F9-D68-CF5-A381-4-BE5-8-CFE-961-E287-D7660.jpg