6.5 prc enough gun for elk

Magnum….is just a name/term. You are correct…..Magnum doesn't kill any better than "whatever" term you want to use.

In fact "magnum" is a very misleading term! There are several cartridges that carry the magnum nomenclature that are pushing bullets no faster than a factory load 30-06……a 30-06 is rarely, if ever, listed in the "magnum" category!

So, what constitutes a magnum? Is it bullet diameter…..so the 22 Magnum is a "magnum"…..yet a 45-70 is hardly considered a magnum! 🙀

The .375 H&H carries the "magnum" moniker…..yet factory loads in 270 grains or 300 grains are pretty tame in the world of hunting cartridge. The .375 CheyTac, certainly has "magnum" velocities …..yet is not called a magnum!

You really should seek professional counseling in regards to your irrational phobia pertaining to the use of "magnum" in firearm cartridge nomenclature! I truly hope that you can receive the much needed help you need! 😉 memtb
How do you define magnum? Is it the fastest most efficient projectile of any given caliber as compared to others of the same caliber? Or is it a mindset marketed by Roy Weatherby years ago? Or is it merely the design of the case which enables it to repeatedly withstand maximum plus pressures? I can make my 30-06 shoot 180 grain at 2900 fps but the case is beat up badly so we buy the 300wsm.
Clear as mud right.

Reading comprehension is "certainly not" your strong suite. It appears that you are a fairly recent product of the public school system…..

Really rich......

Enough with the weak backhanded insults. Just get to the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
6.5 PCR is plenty for Elk. I just use the pain jane Hornady 143 ELD-X. factory Hunter Precision ammo. I was gonna work up a load but the thing shot that factory ammo .7 MOA right out of the box and chronied the load at 2850...so I called that "good". Rifle was a Browning X-Bolt White Gold Medallion with Maple stock and stainless octagon barrel, Leopold VX6HD 3-18X50 with custom turrets. Took a 5X6 bull Elk last October at 550 yds--I couldn't get any closer on the plains area we were hunting. They were getting spooky so we had to stop and set up for the shot. One shot bang flop, hit in the heart and lower lung conjunction.

Thanks…. 7 prc barrel is on order and action on Monday… what scopes do everyone recommend… I was thinking 2.5-10
Ziess Conquest 2.5-10 was one of my all favorite scopes, wish they still made them. My last couple scopes with SFP MOA reticles are 3-15 30mm tube. They work great for the usual max ranges my hunting conditions present. Pretty rare to shoot over 600 yards with cover or wind.

Yes, 6.5 PRC is adequate for elk. Similar diameter, bullet weights, velocity, energy, etc as 270 which has taken MANY elk over the years. However, there are many who would recommend heavy for caliber or controlled expansion bullets for elk in something at the lower end of appropriate elk cartridges and consider 30 cal magnums ideal. I'm convinced by their arguments.

OTOH, shot placement trumps everything. A well placed shot, with adequate penetration, followed by expansion/destruction of vital tissue in any adequate cartridge will do the job.

As far as your wife, I completely agree that you need a new rifle in 7 or 300 prc and am happy to back you up on that. I bought one and am awaiting its arrival. PM me if you need my contact info 😂😂😂

Hey man, what Kgarret said. You can always use another rifle, in fact you owe it to yourself...you NEED that rifle. As for magnification, I like higher for long range. The better I can refine my shot the better I feel about sending it. Remember this is gonna be your "big country" rifle--I'd pick something that gave you at least 16 to 20 magnification and get custom turrets. I like not having to do any math in public in the field:)! My lasst three hunts out west were 500, 475 and 550 yds respectively. I'd like to shoot em about 150 yds or less, but you shoot what you get.

It's a pretty sad thing when a post turns itself sideways.
We are all free to have an opinion; share your opinion on this Forum. Always remember to be civil to your fellow outdoors person.
We are all after the same things in life, let's treat each other with the upmost respect.
The person who you maybe disrespecting could be one of your best friends if you gave each other a chance for a friendship.
Remember, we are all on the same side. We are sportsmen and sportswomen. Hopefully enjoying the great outdoors.
Blessings your way, take care.

I will be using my 6.5 PRC this year for my cow elk hunt.

EDIT: shots will be under 300 yards most likely.

Now, it's bullet selection -

140 Berger Elite Hunter (.5 MOA)
140 Sierra Tipped Game King (.4 MOA)
143 Hornady ELD-X (.5 MOA)

The STGK's do shoot a hair better.

What would you guys choose out of those 3?

Last edited:
I will be using my 6.5 PRC this year for my cow elk hunt.

Now, it's bullet selection -

140 Berger Elite Hunter (.5 MOA)
140 Sierra Tipped Game King (.4 MOA)
143 Hornady ELD-X (.5 MOA)

The STGK's do shoot a hair better.

What would you guys choose out of those 3?
Have you tried the 147eldm?