6.5 PRC Custom Build Advice

I'll talk to Alamo tomorrow, they are very good about getting back to me.

Seems like it's obvious I should stay away from the short action and the intermediate size would be best, long action next best.

Waiting to hear back from Alamo on Monday to get their thoughts on just going with the Defiance Deviant XM length
If you're open to another action option you really should consider picking up a Tikka.
These actions are a med length and perfect for the PRC.
I built a 6.5 saum off a Tikka 7RM, I'm using the factory LA mag and the trigger.
Coal right at 3" with 147's.
There are some really nice Tikka prefit barrel options coming out, including Proof CF

If you're open to another action option you really should consider picking up a Tikka.
These actions are a med length and perfect for the PRC.
I built a 6.5 saum off a Tikka 7RM, I'm using the factory LA mag and the trigger.
Coal right at 3" with 147's.
There are some really nice Tikka prefit barrel options coming out, including Proof CF
Id like to stick with the Defiance actions, I have heard good things about the Tikka though, just set on Defiance.

Ive used two XM Defiance Actions for 6.5 PRC builds, just waiting for the stock to arrive for my latest one, Defiance Rebel XM action, 24" SS #3 contour fluted 1-8 twist Benchmark, Timney Calvin Elite trigger, Wildcat Carbon Fiber stock, Talleys and a ZEISS V4 4-16x44 scope.

I'm having a 6.5PRC being made with a Defiance DeviantUltralight short action with their Wyatt box. Gives 2.990 COAL which I thought was ok for 140 gr -147gr bullets I plan on using.
I measured a 147 seated properly in my 6.5 saum and it's only 2.97 coal.
I believe the PRC is shorter than the saum case

We have have built them on all 3 platforms a long action tenacity is fine if run a center feed mag..but I wouldnt advise a bdl style btm metal unless you use the medium and with a short you are really limited in length however it hasnt seemed to bother the accuracy at all

I am almost done with my build sheet for a 6.5 PRC I am about to have built. The only item I need to decide on is to build is on a short action or a long action. I was hoping to hear from some guys that own one and see what they built it on.

I was hoping to build it off a short action but my gunsmith is suggesting to have it built on a long action? Does anyone have any experience with building these on long actions? So far out of the people I have talked too it's pretty much 50/50.

I was originally set on a short action but after reading/hearing about the cycling and feeding issues on a short action, I was interested in hearing more about them being built on a long action.

I don't reload myself but I have a guy who loads ammo for me and I will more than likely be shooting the 140 or 156 grain Berger's. I guess it's like custom factory ammo.

What do y'all think? Any experience from guys who own a 6.5 PRC?

I built my 6.5 PRC last year. I used a Bighorn Origen action. It's a short action. It's a shooter. 1/4" MOA. I love it. The Hornady 147 gr March ammo is great so far. No complaints.

A friend of mine build the same 6.5 PRC on a long action. He loves his too.

My sense is that you just can't go wrong on this one.

Enjoy! Peace.
Sam

I had a PRC built from Seekin and you are limited to your length, If you have a choice i,d go with the Med. length. Factory loads from Hornady shoot and feed fine.

I am almost done with my build sheet for a 6.5 PRC I am about to have built. The only item I need to decide on is to build is on a short action or a long action. I was hoping to hear from some guys that own one and see what they built it on.

I was hoping to build it off a short action but my gunsmith is suggesting to have it built on a long action? Does anyone have any experience with building these on long actions? So far out of the people I have talked too it's pretty much 50/50.

I was originally set on a short action but after reading/hearing about the cycling and feeding issues on a short action, I was interested in hearing more about them being built on a long action.

I don't reload myself but I have a guy who loads ammo for me and I will more than likely be shooting the 140 or 156 grain Berger's. I guess it's like custom factory ammo.

I built mine on a medium Defiance action and have had zero length issue worries. At the time the 156 didn't exist so I had the Smith set up the chamber throat to put the ogive in the lands with the bullet base just above the case neck shoulder junction. That way the powder column can go all the way to the neck shoulder before the bullet touches it. The defiance magazine allows about 3.2 OAL and most of my reloads are running around 3.0ish. It also gives my a little room to chase the lands. You can do the same setup with a long action if you can't use a medium. Lots of short actions have been built as well you just have to do more to get the right magazine and setup the bolt travel etc and you loose some case space with the super long bullets, but they work. The factory stuff will not cycle from a straight up short action 700 for example.

If you choose a short action and the mag limits you to 2.8 then I'd go medium/long, or wyatts. If you run a external AICS mag without a binder plate you will be at 2.950 COAL. That is what my rifle set up uses.

Here is the deal tho. I have not personally seen any velocity numbers from a single source that compared a long action COAL to a short COAl of 2.8 to see the loss or gain of potential in terms of velocity and accuracy. I don't personally know the real world difference. In comparing my rifles velocity to book or other shooters on long actions it seems there is not enough difference to be concerned about. The 6.5 PRC is kind of an odd duck. SAAMI chamber has long throat, the case is a little long, it seems to shoot most everything well, but it's not really a true SA round.

[/QUI was going to go with a bighorn short action but changed over to the long action so I could set the longer bullets out as far as needed

I called Defiance and spoke with them about this in length. With the new heavier bullets coming out now they recommended a long action. I ordered their new Tenacity which has the barrel lug machined into the action now. Some custom gun makers are also offering .150 of free bore as a chamber option also.

I called Defiance and spoke with them about this in length. With the new heavier bullets coming out now they recommended a long action. I ordered their new Tenacity which has the barrel lug machined into the action now. Some custom gun makers are also offering .150 of free bore as a chamber option also.
That is interesting, maybe with Berger releasing the 156gr EOL bullets we will start hearing more about these on a long action. Even though it seems like its pretty common to have these built on a long action.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.