6.5 prc.... curtis or defiance ??

I've never had an issue with the 264 proof barrels. A smith I know who sells pretty high dollar rigs, will only use proofs carbon in 264. He will not use their carbon in 7mm and up due to his observed inconsistencies. Now that bartlein has carbons that may change his mind. He's had great luck with proofs carbon 6 & 6.5mm barrels.
Nice! Makes me feel better. This is my first proof venture. I've just always wanted one!

I'm a little nervous about my new PRC build with my barrel choice. I've ordered a proof sendero 24". The latest proof barrel thread has me a little unsure. I've always used bartlein 3b's or medium palmas. This will be my first proof barrel. We'll see. Should look pretty anyways.
proof carbonfiber savage nut system on a bighorn action with the first 5 round of Hornady match factory ammo they shoot well

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 169
I have a Curtis Axiom in a MPA chassis (pictured left) and the AICS magazines can interfere with the bolt which is one of the changes Joel made when improving his original design by reducing the diameter of the bolt body. I also much prefer a three lug design as in the Terminus over a two lug as in Defiance. I think that Defiance is a great action and in no way If I a mis-state anything about Terminus actions I'm happy for Joel to correct me as I know he follows things written about his actions. I agree with Highdrum that for half the cost of a custom action you can get a Tikka WSM complete rifle and use the action for your build which is an excellent foundation. If I could reasonably sell my Curtis I would replace it with a Terminus.

I have and love both. When you get to a custom action, you will find it hard to nit-pick anything.
I just had a new .223 built. I got the Curtis this time BECAUSE my builder had it IN STOCK. Its a beautiful action, The 60 degree bolt throw is really nice, put a Trigger Tech Diamond set at 1# is a perfect mid range varmint target rig.

I would also buy another Defiance Deviant again, classically smooth and flawless.

As others have mentioned you should look into the Terminus action over the Curtis. Joel originally designed the actions for Curtis and has since improved the design under his own Terminus company ... you won't get the improved design in a Curtis stamped action.

Having said that, if the 6.5 PRC is your cartridge choice I'd go with a medium length defiance action to take full advantage of the longer COAL with the PRC. If you want a short mag in a short action then look at the Sherman Short Mag offerings.

Curtis or Terminus, if you can find what you want in stock, buy it !!

Or you could lighten up and get one of these from Altus Custom. They built this 6.5 Creedmoor for me

what are the pros and cons of each action? ive only been able to play with a curtis for a few rounds and was very pleased and impressed with how smooth the bolt ran. bolt throw was nice, and the dlc coating was very impressive.

will be a lighter weight hunting rifle.

what are your guys thoughts that have both and why?

Defiance for sure. Over the years have tried most of the big names. Defiane has toped them all.

For my first custom-built I went with what the pro's use, statistically speaking there will a couple of actions that are predominantly used by champions (everyone is a competition shooter but not all are winners).
I went with Defiance anTi Action.

Agree. An all out defiance runs about $1400. Anybody familar with Bad Rock rifles. They ore owned by Defiance and use their actions. Full satinless steel action and barrels in a nice chassie. All for $1995. Great rifle by a great builder. Take a look.

what are the pros and cons of each action? ive only been able to play with a curtis for a few rounds and was very pleased and impressed with how smooth the bolt ran. bolt throw was nice, and the dlc coating was very impressive.

will be a lighter weight hunting rifle.

what are your guys thoughts that have both and why?
My father and I had 2 6.5 PRCs built on the Defiance XM length actions. He used the Rebel and I used the Deviant Ultralight. We used the XM BDL bottom metal. They are butter smooth and the rifles both easily shoot 1/2MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.