6.5 prc.... curtis or defiance ??

fisherman983

what are the pros and cons of each action? ive only been able to play with a curtis for a few rounds and was very pleased and impressed with how smooth the bolt ran. bolt throw was nice, and the dlc coating was very impressive.

will be a lighter weight hunting rifle.

what are your guys thoughts that have both and why?

I'd suggest a defiance xm length action that allows 3.2". The Curtis max coal will be 2.95", and I don't believe you can run a bainey box. You planning on bdl bottom metal or dbm? I personally feel the Terminus actions are an upgrade from the Curtis units and they're built/designed by the same man, Joel Russo.

I had a 6.5 prc on a Curtis, really enjoyed it. I would also go Terminus at this point. I currently have a defiance I like very much. The Curtis/terminus will resist binding better if you don't do your job well.

Borden also makes a very nice medium length.

I'd recommend going terminus if you are interested in Curtis. Designed and improved upon by the same man. I had a vector and switched to a Zeus. Is it miles different, no. Is it an improvement, yes. Was it worth my money to change over, probably not as I got a great deal on the Curtis. But if I was starting new it would be terminus all the way.

that being said with a prc a medium length action is best suited like defiance or tikka.

There are several very good action companies out there. I have a Curtis Axiom cut to a Wyatt's 6.5 PRC mag length. A friend's 6.5PRC has a Defiance Deviant XM cut. They both action smoothly and shoot within mm's of each other. In my 300 PRC I went with a BigHorn SR3 with a Wyatt's extended cut magazine. And then I have a 1976 Remington 700 BDL in 7mm mag (new for $199 at a dime store), that also shoots .5MOA or better. :)
My newer mountain elk rifle is a .270 Tikka T3 ss lite. I bed the actions in all my rifles, crown the muzzle and update the triggers to produce accurate, reliable rifles.
There are many great actions out there. More important for accuracy is the barrel. My favorites are Proof Carbon Fiber and Bartlein 5R ss barrels. Good hunting :)

I do love custom actions, have several. However for 550$ a Tikka 7rm or 300wm is a great start for a prc/wsm/saum build. Longer bolt hand decreases lift, 10$ spring gives you a solid 2# single stage trigger. There are a lot of good Tikka stock options available. The HCA billet 3rd magazine runs short mag cases loaded long flawlessly. My 6.5 prc is on a Tikka and it's great. My newest project s a 6.5 max on a Tikka. Hope to have it in 2 or 3 weeks.

Curtis new 3 rd mags give you 2.975 for a short mag. But I'd still prefer the 3.2" of defiance XM. I'm going with defiance deviant GA Hunter XM and their XM bdl kit. Their BDL kit is made by sunny hill bottom metal.

Would you happen to have a link for ordering those 3 round Curtis mags? Would be great for my rifle. Thanks!

Would you happen to have a link for ordering those 3 round Curtis mags? Would be great for my rifle. Thanks!

I'm a little nervous about my new PRC build with my barrel choice. I've ordered a proof sendero 24". The latest proof barrel thread has me a little unsure. I've always used bartlein 3b's or medium palmas. This will be my first proof barrel. We'll see. Should look pretty anyways.

I'm a little nervous about my new PRC build with my barrel choice. I've ordered a proof sendero 24". The latest proof barrel thread has me a little unsure. I've always used bartlein 3b's or medium palmas. This will be my first proof barrel. We'll see. Should look pretty anyways.
I've never had an issue with the 264 proof barrels. A smith I know who sells pretty high dollar rigs, will only use proofs carbon in 264. He will not use their carbon in 7mm and up due to his observed inconsistencies. Now that bartlein has carbons that may change his mind. He's had great luck with proofs carbon 6 & 6.5mm barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.