6.5 PRC built on Tikka action

Mc Fraser

Hello LRH members,
I want to build a 6.5 PRC based on a Tikka action and reload for it. I am using the Hornady reloading book for reference. After I used google quite a bit and a phone call to Hornady I have a few questions:
1. According to Hornady, a suitable donor action will be a WSM (270, 300, 7mm); however, Hornady lists 6.5 PRC max COL at 2.955in; all WSM cartridges are 2.860in. With Tikka magazines beeing notorious for exact SAAMI specs, I don't see how a Tikka short action will work. Am I missing something?
2. In my research, I found that between all the cartridges that Tikka rifles are chambered to, 7mm RM is best suited because max COL is 3.290in, What do you guys think? I've found a few people on other forums that have built 6.5 PRC on magnum LA, and an equal # of people that say its a mistake to build a SA cartridge on an LA action. Please educate me?

Go for the tikka, doesn't matter if it's wsm or long action Magnum. You'll want a long action bolt stop if it's a wsm donor rifle though. Hells Canyon Armory makes a billet magazine that's designed for long oal short mag cases, I have a few, works great. I have a 25 & 6.5 saums built on Tikka with long throat chambers, I load 3.05-3.1 length in them with the HCA mags. Some guys say the prc feeds fine from a long action 300 win or 7mag magazine in the Tikka but case head presentation for the bolt to pick it up isn't ideal. I also suggest adding an Elay Precision trigger spring, mine are set just under 2# zero creep. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Hello LRH members,
I want to build a 6.5 PRC based on a Tikka action and reload for it. I am using the Hornady reloading book for reference. After I used google quite a bit and a phone call to Hornady I have a few questions:
1. According to Hornady, a suitable donor action will be a WSM (270, 300, 7mm); however, Hornady lists 6.5 PRC max COL at 2.955in; all WSM cartridges are 2.860in. With Tikka magazines beeing notorious for exact SAAMI specs, I don't see how a Tikka short action will work. Am I missing something?
2. In my research, I found that between all the cartridges that Tikka rifles are chambered to, 7mm RM is best suited because max COL is 3.290in, What do you guys think? I've found a few people on other forums that have built 6.5 PRC on magnum LA, and an equal # of people that say its a mistake to build a SA cartridge on an LA action. Please educate me?
I would say use the LA tikka. I did a prc on a short Remington. I used a wyatt,s box so I was long enough But I ordered the wsm/saum box. It didn,t work. I had to use their regular box. I also built a 6.5 Remington on a standard model 70 @ 3.4. Feeds great. I know I tried to talk him into the prc but he wanted a 6.5 rem mag. You can tell a swede but you can,t tell em much!! hahaha:rolleyes:

I have a 6.5 PRC built on a Tikka. First all Tikka's are LA but the bolt stops are different pending action length. There's also a medium action bolt stop that they use on their 6.5 Creedmoor's. You're going to need a magnum bolt for the PRC so keep that in mind. I built mine on a donor 7mag. The stock LA magazines feed Hornady factory rds fine. I have tried reloads yet but I expect them to also be fine.

A dog that plays tennis. (profile pix)

Mc Fraser, I am moving this to Rifle, Barrels, Bullets, Ballistics forum

Recommend starting with a Tikka 300 win mag (if you have that option) and you won't have to change the bolt stop. The stock LA magazine will work for the PRC with no modification required. As stated there are aftermarket magazine options available but I use the stock LA Tikka magazines for my PRC.

My T3 PRC is built on a short action stop. I used WSM mags and pulled the magazine OAL spacer rear with a file. Feeds flawlessly.
Ill look for the video
A8031983-5D92-494F-9E4E-1A821FC74BCD.jpeg

I found this video on how to modify the bolt stop, that is good news so far.
My only question is, if I have a WSM rifle, will a long action magnum tikka magazine fit the WSM action?

I found this video on how to modify the bolt stop, that is good news so far.
My only question is, if I have a WSM rifle, will a long action magnum tikka magazine fit the WSM action?

Modifying the bolt stop works, however milling them down weakens em. I've had to switch two rifles over to mountain tactical la bolt stops, cuz the modded ones broke. You don't want that to happen on a hunt.

Last edited:
I agree with Highdrum bolt stops are cheap and easy to swap. Why grind one down and take a chance.

Not sure what stock you plan. The McMillian hunter edge is great as is the Mesa Altitude. If you have small hands and like to get a full wrap around the grip, the altitude has a largish grip. Its perfect for me with large hands; small hands it would depend on the persons persons pref.

Take some time and look at the accessories and aftermarket parts now available for the T3s. IMO they are a great noncustom base for a light pack/mountain rifle @ 28 oz. For a med long action that is quite light.

T3x action fluted bolt
Proof CF lite or Bartlein 3b fluted
Altitude / Hunter's Edge

Makes a very nice light package even with a 26" barrel.

Recent Posts