6.5 PRC Build

I somehow doubt you're going to find a lot of PRC shooters leaving their brass at the range. There's also a lot of issues in that many ranges will not allow you to harvest leftover brass as they make a lot of money on it.

I'm pretty sure the guys who show up a week before hunting season and shoot 40 rounds to sight in their rifle off a cardboard box or a pillow are not picking up their brass.

I have yet to load any of it yet but I got a couple hundred pieces of Bertram 6.5 PRC brass directly from Bertram here.
https://bertrambrass.com/product/6-5-prc-unprimed-brass-100-count/

Does anyone know if Bertram brass is usually thicker or thinner than Hornady brass? How bout primer pockets? What primers should I try first? I have most of the major brands.

I have some of the factory ammo from Hornady and it's so so stuff. Not really impressed but then I have never been a fan of Hornady ammo. Lot to lot consistency seems to be lacking and vertical stringing seems to show up at 300yds so I can imagine it would be terrible at longer ranges.

It's a shame that more ammo manufacturers can't seem to produce ammo as consistent and accurate as Federal's 308 Gold Medal Match with 168gr SMK bullets. I have had so many groups in the sub 1/4MOA range it's hardly believable and some actually too small for me to accurately measure but they literally appear to be one hole and lot to lot consistency is stellar.

I have yet to load any of it yet but I got a couple hundred pieces of Bertram 6.5 PRC brass directly from Bertram here.
https://bertrambrass.com/product/6-5-prc-unprimed-brass-100-count/

Does anyone know if Bertram brass is usually thicker or thinner than Hornady brass? How bout primer pockets? What primers should I try first? I have most of the major brands.

In my experience with Bertram 6.5 saum brass, I ordered 200pcs, weighs spread was from 211-219gr, necks ranged from 0.014-0.016 so they need turned for consistency. Flash hole needed cleaned up as 30% of cases had partial blockage. Primer pockets are abnormally deep, but they're strong, hold max psi very well, as most Bertram brass is known for. It requires a lot of prep but once it's finished it works well as long as you weight sort. Personally I'd just buy the Gunwerks 6.5 prc which is in stock at the moment, it's made my adg and is very consistent. Adg is oddly a bit higher in price, prob due to the fact it comes in a nice case, whereas the gunwerks comes bagged in a pouch. I recently started a 7mm sherman max build, which is a 7saum improved, I purchased some of Rich Shermans headstamped adg brass, and some gunwerks 7saum brass, I actually found less weight spread in the gunwerks, maybe I just got lucky.

I'm in the market for a long range gun. I've narrowed it down to the nosler long range and a bergara ridgeback
I wanted it in either a .26, .260. With a 26" barrel. Neither offer the caliber I want.
The bergara is about 700.00 cheaper and looks awesome. The bergara comes with a 26" barrel in 6.5 prc and up. I don't want a .300 or bigger caliber. I've read that the 6.5prc is popular in long range shooting.

So your kinda limited to what the manufacturer offers in the rig you want. Unless your having a custom gun built, then you get exactly what you want.

Just got my custom 6.5 prc back from AD Arms and I'm hoping it shoots well.
15041.jpeg
15040.jpeg
15035.jpeg
15034.jpeg
15038.jpeg
15037.jpeg

Last edited:
Is anyone other than Hornady making 6.5 PRC brass? I ended up going with a 6.5 Rem Mag. It does have about 100 FPS more than the 6.5/284. It also feeds better than the 284 cartridge.
If other companies start making 6.5 PRC I probably will rechamber it.
Where did you find components for 6.5 Rem mag? Very limited to lite bullets because of twist. But i love mine. Call it my lazer