6.5 PRC Build

Well that certainly isn't true. Even in our local mom and pop shop you'll always find a few boxes on the shelf.
You can ALWAYS find Norma HSM or Nosler at almost $70 per box at your local gun shop mainly because they don't sell. How long have they been sitting there? How many factory rifles are they selling in that caliber? Savage, Cooper, Christensen, Montana and CZ. Those are your best choices for a contemporary factory offering. If your mom and pop shop sells those, that may explain the ammo and I'd argue the mom and pop status at that point. More likely akin to a hunters boutique. I'd bet dollars to donuts that anyone who chooses that caliber, with the exception of Savage, and dumps that kind of money on a rifle will be loading their own.
My point was simple... it's a niche cartridge or pet cal for hand loaders that 99.999% of gun retailers won't have it nor likely care to stock it.
Maybe my use of the word "never" was an exaggeration, but this is LRH... the home of the 2000m elk head shot by everyone but me.
Sorry if I offended you.

You can ALWAYS find Norma HSM or Nosler at almost $70 per box at your local gun shop mainly because they don't sell. How long have they been sitting there? How many factory rifles are they selling in that caliber? Savage, Cooper, Christensen, Montana and CZ. Those are your best choices for a contemporary factory offering. If your mom and pop shop sells those, that may explain the ammo and I'd argue the mom and pop status at that point. More likely akin to a hunters boutique. I'd bet dollars to donuts that anyone who chooses that caliber, with the exception of Savage, and dumps that kind of money on a rifle will be loading their own.
My point was simple... it's a niche cartridge or pet cal for hand loaders that 99.999% of gun retailers won't have it nor likely care to stock it.
Maybe my use of the word "never" was an exaggeration, but this is LRH... the home of the 2000m elk head shot by everyone but me.
Sorry if I offended you.
You're going out of your way to make a whole host of unfounded assertions based on nothing more than your own preconceptions and prejudices.

It absolutely is a very small mom and pop shop, their primary business is Taxidermy and they also have a store front where they sell shooting supplies, ammo, some camping and fishing gear. They have an FFL but mostly do transfers and occasionally order a gun for customers that know what they want. They also swap and trade a few used guns.

They can't afford to keep any excess inventory so they stock what they know the locals and visiting hunters want and will usually stock 2-5 boxes of the various rifle calibers they carry.

During the summer they struggle to keep the doors open but during the rest of the year do pretty well. The Taxidermy keeps the lights on and the A/C running in the summer.

It is by any definition a "small Mom and Pop" shop.

You're going out of your way to make a whole host of unfounded assertions based on nothing more than your own preconceptions and prejudices.

It absolutely is a very small mom and pop shop, their primary business is Taxidermy and they also have a store front where they sell shooting supplies, ammo, some camping and fishing gear. They have an FFL but mostly do transfers and occasionally order a gun for customers that know what they want. They also swap and trade a few used guns.

They can't afford to keep any excess inventory so they stock what they know the locals and visiting hunters want and will usually stock 2-5 boxes of the various rifle calibers they carry.

During the summer they struggle to keep the doors open but during the rest of the year do pretty well. The Taxidermy keeps the lights on and the A/C running in the summer.

It is by any definition a "small Mom and Pop" shop.

I had a long winded response posted. I am editing it to this because you didn't really read my comment anyway, so what's the point?
I stated facts, you missed the point, welcome to the internet.
I hope your local outdoor store stays open. We need small businesses to thrive now more than ever.

Whatever. I don't have the energy to argue with you, but I will leave you with this:

Well that certainly isn't true. Even in our local mom and pop shop you'll always find a few boxes on the shelf.
The above statement should have read, "Absolutely the truth. You can't find 6.5x284 at most retailers, but our local family owned outdoor store keeps a few boxes on hand for the occasional sale. They aren't a gun shop so they can afford to order specifics rather than staying fully stocked on the staples like a real gun shop."

Now leave me alone.

Last edited:
I had a long winded response posted. I am editing it to this because you didn't really read my comment anyway, so what's the point?
I hope your local outdoor store stays open. We need small businesses to thrive now more than ever.

Whatever. I don't have the energy to argue with you, but I will leave you with this:

The above statement should have read, "Absolutely the truth. You can't find 6.5x284 at most retailers, but our local family owned outdoor store keeps a few boxes on hand for the occasional sale. They aren't a gun shop so they can afford to order specifics rather than staying fully stocked on the staples like a real gun shop."

Now leave me alone.
What you stated is provably not factual which is why I responded.

Now leave me alone.
Every Cabelas, Gander Moutain and Scheels I've been to have always had 6.5-284 ammo on their shelves. Just because a group of guys on Facebook or google claim the PRC is the next coming doesn't mean it's more popular than the 284.
People seem to forget how popular the 6.5-284 is/was. It was the darling of 1000 yard benchrest and Fclass for years. That resulted in lots of people building hunting rifles chambered in 6.5-284 for long range hunting and shooting before was cool.
There are 10s of thousands of rifles chambered in 6.5-284. Lots of the owners of these rifles don't frequent Internet forums.

Every Cabelas, Gander Moutain and Scheels I've been to have always had 6.5-284 ammo on their shelves. Just because a group of guys on Facebook or google claim the PRC is the next coming doesn't mean it's more popular than the 284.
People seem to forget how popular the 6.5-284 is/was. It was the darling of 1000 yard benchrest and Fclass for years. That resulted in lots of people building hunting rifles chambered in 6.5-284 for long range hunting and shooting before was cool.
There are 10s of thousands of rifles chambered in 6.5-284. Lots of the owners of these rifles don't frequent Internet forums.
Funny, I was in Gander today. No 6.5x284.
And for the record, I do own one. It was built as an F Class open rifle. Y'all need to tell me where these mysterious big box stores and mom and pop joints are! I've always had to hit the net for box ammo.

Y'all will argue over anything. Holy smokes!

Funny, I was in Gander today. No 6.5x284.
And for the record, I do own one. It was built as an F Class open rifle. Y'all need to tell me where these mysterious big box stores and mom and pop joints are! I've always had to hit the net for box ammo.

Y'all will argue over anything. Holy smokes!
Only one trying to argue is you. Apparently you know everything. But just in case you don't. The next time you're in Wisconsin check out a Scheels,Cabelas or a Gander. They always carried them here. Though can't be 100 percent if Gander still does. Because I haven't been to one since they went bankrupt and opened back up. All I was doing is pointing out that big box stores by me carry them. No need to be a d bag.

Only one trying to argue is you. Apparently you know everything. But just in case you don't. The next time you're in Wisconsin check out a Scheels,Cabelas or a Gander. They always carried them here. Though can't be 100 percent if Gander still does. Because I haven't been to one since they went bankrupt and opened back up. All I was doing is pointing out that big box stores by me carry them. No need to be a d bag.
Opening with gaslighting. Nice.
Wisconsin? Why would I do that? Why don't you come down here and check our stores?
Let me confirm for you. Gander, no. Cabelas, regional and limited only. Bass Pro, available but internet only drop shipped from HSM. Scheels, if you say so. Midway, winner with Nosler, HSM and Norma with only 3 offerings in stock. Several smaller others via ammoseek.com. That's how I have to find my Nosler 6.5x284 Match Grade since Nowhere around here carries it.
I wasn't being a d bag, I was being sarcastic because it's fun. Fun is why I'm in forums like this. I guess to some it's all they have.
Sorry your feelings were hurt.

Last edited:
Is anyone other than Hornady making 6.5 PRC brass? I ended up going with a 6.5 Rem Mag. It does have about 100 FPS more than the 6.5/284. It also feeds better than the 284 cartridge.
If other companies start making 6.5 PRC I probably will rechamber it.

Last edited:
Opening with gaslighting. Nice.
Wisconsin? Why would I do that? Why don't you come down here and check our stores?
Let me confirm for you. Gander, no. Cabelas, regional and limited only. Bass Pro, available but internet only drop shipped from HSM. Scheels, if you say so. Midway, winner with Nosler, HSM and Norma with only 3 offerings in stock. Several smaller others via ammoseek.com. That's how I have to find my Nosler 6.5x284 Match Grade since Nowhere around here carries it.
I wasn't being a d bag, I was being sarcastic because it's fun. Fun is why I'm in forums like this. I guess to some it's all they have.
Sorry your feelings were hurt.
lol

I like this thread as I was having the same dilemma as to what direction to go

Why make it a dilemma? Pick one and go for it. It is not going to be your last build.

On my current build I considered 6.5 PRC and 6.5 WSM in a long action but went with the .264 WM. It is all about having choices and personal preference.

Last edited: