6.5 PRC Build

Xyz123d

hi guys,
I tried a search on the topic and couldn't find any threads so appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Long story short, I've been planning and saving for a 6.5-284 build and now wonder about a 6.5 PRC instead.

Thoughts?

Where should I go for latter if that is best path?

Thanks,

Jeff

Guessing you're planning on building it on a long action already, the only reason I see not to try it is the lack of brass suppliers.

It looks like fun, little bit wider powder column than the 6.5x284, probably can push it a little faster, but not sure if hornady brass will limit your top end performance. I know a 6.5x284 will flirt with 3100 fps with 140 bergers.

Hype? What will the 6.5x284 do, that the PRC won't?
Nothing, and the same goes if you flip the script...That is my point. The PRC was irrelevant before Hornady ever "created" it. Their new marketing strategy is to make solutions for nonexistent problems. It is 100% manufactured hype. That's how modern sales works, because thanks to social media programming and technology, people these days have the memory capacity of a dementia patient, and the attention span of a squirrel.

In a short action build a PRC and have fun, if you're using a long action then go 6.5x284. If you want factory ammo go PRC, if you're only going to reload it won't make much difference. If you're building a repeater I'd lean towards the PRC as well. The 6.5x284 can feed well from a magazine but because of the rebated rim it may require a little tweaking to get to feed with some action/magazine combos.

Unless you've personally had issues with Hornady brass, I'd take a lot of internet advice with a grain of salt. I've had very good luck with it and so have thousands of other shooters. Lapua brass is excellent, but so are lots of other manufacturers' offerings.

Prc was built to replicate 6.5-284 with factory hornady ammo and fit into some short actions.

If either of those situations apply to you then it's a good switch. Otherwise, doesn't really matter one way or the other. I just bought a .264 barrel and it will be chambered for PRC since I have a short action.

Odd ball with sub par brass.
Tried and true with some of the best brass you can get.
I have 6.5x284 and it's probably the most accurate rifle I have, but it's not because of the cartridge, it's because it's a well built rifle that I can get good components for.
Maybe I've just had bad luck and it's all internet hype, but I'd never buy anything that I had to run hornady brass in again. The 7 lrm is another example of a decent design with junk brass. Which is why my 7 lrm is no longer going to be a 7 lrm.
If I was going to run a short action 6.5, it would be a 260 ai, or a 6.5 saum, off topic a bit but doesn't hurt to look if you haven't bought your parts yet.
Good luck with your build.

Wrong-o, bucko. The marketing strategy is to make money. I reckon they figure they can make more money with a new intro, rather than making brass for the existing 6.5x284's. Go ahead, try to tell me I'm wrong.
You're not wrong on the brass aspect, but your general comment about their strategy is a given...Every company's goal is to make money. But Hornady's marketing strategy over the last 10 years has been to reinvent the already invented wheel, give it a couple modern design aspects, slap on a cool new fancy name, and then blast you with hype in every gun magazine, every gun editorial, every youtuber with a gun channel, every hunting/shooting show on TV, etc... Same reason I say they've whored-out the 6.5CM like a $2.00 hooker in a shady Vegas motel. People that have been in the gun/shooting community a long time can recognize hype. Watched a video today about the .30-06 vs. .300 WM... Guy shot concrete blocks at the same exact distance, and they both penetrated the exact same, but the .300WM impact was more violent...That was the only difference...But everyone will tell you the .300WM is just lightyears better than the old .30-06, when in reality, that gap is a lot closer than the hype will tell you it is.

Also, these new Hornady cartridges seem to be developing magical powers, the 6.5CM can apparently do what the .300WM can do (according to supporters), so that must mean the new 6.5 PRC will be a frickin stopping rifle for hunting elephant in the Serengeti...

It's not marketing hype, it's what they have to do if they want to have factory rifles and factory ammo that works together for long range shooting. Hornady's formula is to partner with rifle manufactures and offer factory solutions for long range shooting. They can't load factory 6.5x284 and make it work in a factory gun, their isn't a standard saami spec. Should they load it at 2.8" oal so it will fit in standard short actions or should they load it long so you have to use a long action? Should they use the Norma spec or the Win spec. Wait, does any manufacturer chamber factory rifles in 6.5x284? It would never work, there are to many variables that they can't control.

But, if Hornady makes a new round they can set the spec so it will work with long bullets and make sure the rifles are built with fast enough twists to accommodate the long bullets. Now a guy can buy a new rifle off the shelf, get a box of bullets over the counter and go hit steel at a thousand yards. It's that simple, they're bringing long range shooting to the masses.

i would not build either one on a factory short action. 6.5x284 is plain too long. PRC has the same case length as a .260 rem. slightly longer neck, but the same case length.

I really like the idea, but it is too long to build from take off donor action. I am referring specifically to savage, Remington and Winchester short actions using DBM.

I know a 6.5x284 will push a 140 Berger to 3100 FPS with h4350. I think the prc could do the same with more potential for accuracy. 30 degree shoulder, longer than normal necks and short wide powder columns have been all the rage because they work. PPCs and x47Lapuas are setting a lot of world records for accuracy. If anything, the prc looks like a 6.5x47 lapua that has been given the magnum upgrade.

You're not wrong on the brass aspect, but your general comment about their strategy is a given...Every company's goal is to make money. But Hornady's marketing strategy over the last 10 years has been to reinvent the already invented wheel, give it a couple modern design aspects, slap on a cool new fancy name, and then blast you with hype in every gun magazine, every gun editorial, every youtuber with a gun channel, every hunting/shooting show on TV, etc... Same reason I say they've whored-out the 6.5CM like a $2.00 hooker in a shady Vegas motel. People that have been in the gun/shooting community a long time can recognize hype. Watched a video today about the .30-06 vs. .300 WM... Guy shot concrete blocks at the same exact distance, and they both penetrated the exact same, but the .300WM impact was more violent...That was the only difference...But everyone will tell you the .300WM is just lightyears better than the old .30-06, when in reality, that gap is a lot closer than the hype will tell you it is.

Also, these new Hornady cartridges seem to be developing magical powers, the 6.5CM can apparently do what the .300WM can do (according to supporters), so that must mean the new 6.5 PRC will be a frickin stopping rifle for hunting elephant in the Serengeti...

I built a creedmoor to see what it could do and to test the hype. It's not anything special ballistically but I knew that from the start: You're only going to get so much from 40-50 grains of powder. However, it did exactly what it was supposed to. Got more people into a sport which in turn brought more money in and has helped bring an un-quantifiable amount of new products to compete for that extra influx of cash. That benefits everybody.

I see us share similar beliefs on several subjects, Mud, but Badmouthing hornady because every Tom dick and sally has a creedmoor isn't fair. It was well thought out and has done great things for the sport, even if it added a few goobers.

I like to experiment and I know what a 6.5x284 will do. If I had the spare resources I would definitely spend a barrel on a PRC just to know for myself.

It's not marketing hype, it's what they have to do if they want to have factory rifles and factory ammo that works together for long range shooting. Hornady's formula is to partner with rifle manufactures and offer factory solutions for long range shooting. They can't load factory 6.5x284 and make it work in a factory gun, their isn't a standard saami spec. Should they load it at 2.8" oal so it will fit in standard short actions or should they load it long so you have to use a long action? Should they use the Norma spec or the Win spec. Wait, does any manufacturer chamber factory rifles in 6.5x284? It would never work, there are to many variables that they can't control.

But, if Hornady makes a new round they can set the spec so it will work with long bullets and make sure the rifles are built with fast enough twists to accommodate the long bullets. Now a guy can buy a new rifle off the shelf, get a box of bullets over the counter and go hit steel at a thousand yards. It's that simple, they're bringing long range shooting to the masses.
Oh really???

The parent case .284 Winchester was created around 1963, but did not see extensive commercial use. The 6.5 caliber allowed for the use of long, aerodynamic bullets. In 1999, Norma submitted it to CIP. It has since been standardized as the 6.5mm-284 Norma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5-284_Norma

So, why can't they make 6.5x284 ammo again?

And the answer is no they should not load it 2.8", they should load it for long action rifles. The weight difference in a LA and SA is barely noticeable except only to the most anal-retentive sticklers hunting for a certain weight rifle.

As for your justification, most serious hunters and shooters reload their own ammo and don't ever buy factory ammo to begin with... So, your argument falls on mostly deaf ears, other than those who don't reload.

And no, nobody can go buy a box of ammo and a rifle over the counter and go shoot at 1000 yards. That is why I call it marketing HYPE! It's not realistic. They make you THINK it is, so you'll buy into their ********, and buy their products, but it's not.

And as for bringing long range shooting to the masses, I've met thousands of your average shooter and hunter, and IMO, most shouldn't even be allowed in the woods with a rifle, much less trying to wound animals or shoot steel at 1,000 yards. Most can't accurately shoot over 100...And believe that if you can get all 3 inside a pie plate, that their rifle is "on" for hunting season. Scary, huh? This pandora's box is about as bad as if you let a bunch of Jerry's Kids run the large hadron collider at CERN... The results will only be detrimental to our sport and our cause.