6.5 PRC build info !

CGHunter

Hi I am trying to gather info on a 6.5 PRC build for my wife. First question I have is does anyone know max overall length of case to tip with 140g to 156g bullet. Also if yall have any other info about 6.5 PRC how bad is the kick, fps, reload info, favorite bullet for elk, please share im all ears.

I run a seekins. They give you 3.14 for max coal. I run 140 vlds at 3050. Love the cartridge. I got plenty of room, I'd imagine it's plenty for the 156's. I'm sure someone running them will pipe in.

Build it on a long action and you won't have to worry about COAL for any bullet. I built mine on a 700 long action and don't have any problems. I'm running the 156 behind H1000 at 2960 fps. With a muzzle brake , I can see my impacts. Its a sweet shooting rifle and one of my favorites.

Thank you for that info it's a big help if you get a chance, could you get me that coal? I may have messed up I was thinking that thing fit in a SA I'm going to order a Defiance Anti action.

Thank you for that info it's a big help if you get a chance, could you get me that coal? I may have messed up I was thinking that thing fit in a SA I'm going to order a Defiance Anti action.
My COAL is 3.004 but I am .050 away from the lands.

Depending on the reamer cut, but saami with a 156 berger touching lands will be around 3.055-3.065 coal. Hornady bullets will be touching around 2.99-3.010. A long to medium action is good for saami. Some smiths have prc reamers with shorter freebore for the 130-140gr vld style bullets. These will likely be in the 2.92-2.95 touching lands. This is best for a short action.

I have a couple and run 2.950 COAL for all my bullets 135 thru 156. They all shoot very very well. I do not get hung up on jump like a lot of people. Been following scott satterlee and a couple others for load development and fully bought off on seating depth nodes years ago. I found many bullets like to be in the .070-110 range off the lands. The only time this is a problem is if and when you are compressing large kernel powders. I see pressure in the PRC before volume is an issue so I don't worry about it.

My rifle is just under 9lbs with a can and recoil is fair. It's similar to a 6.5-284 or 270.

Hi I am trying to gather info on a 6.5 PRC build for my wife. First question I have is does anyone know max overall length of case to tip with 140g to 156g bullet. Also if yall have any other info about 6.5 PRC how bad is the kick, fps, reload info, favorite bullet for elk, please share im all ears.
I have the same as recon. Ran the 156's with plenty of room at a COAL of 2.950 RL26, GM210M, @ 2980 out of a 24". Very mild recoil with a good brake. Very accurate but had chamber issues so I had Justin @ Kinport Peak Rifles re-chamber to a 6.5 Sherman Short very happy with it over the PRC. No worries with COAL and a boost in performance. If you are "building" I would recommend a Mid length action and have your Smith get the Alex Wheeler reamer. I am sure someone will chime in on this. Good luck with your build.

PH

Call Defiance and switch to the Anti- XM with there sunnyhill metal you won't regret it.

The SAAMI COAL is 2.955. So if your building a SAAMI rifle no matter which bullet you hand 2.955 limit. I would suggest using a medium length or long action so you are not limited to 2.955. On my build I used an Defiance XM to allow COALs out to 3.2 inches and had the lead in the chamber cut to put the base of the 147 ELDM just above the neck shoulder junction when it hit the lands. The 153 and 156 Berger's didn't exist at the time.

On recoil I'd say my rifle is around a 7mm/08 shooting 140s.

My favorite bullet is the Berger 156 EOL with H1000. It has killed 4 Coues bucks and 18 head of African game so far. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on Elk.

The SAAMI COAL is 2.955. So if your building a SAAMI rifle no matter which bullet you hand 2.955 limit. I would suggest using a medium length or long action so you are not limited to 2.955. On my build I used an Defiance XM to allow COALs out to 3.2 inches and had the lead in the chamber cut to put the base of the 147 ELDM just above the neck shoulder junction when it hit the lands. The 153 and 156 Berger's didn't exist at the time.

On recoil I'd say my rifle is around a 7mm/08 shooting 140s.

My favorite bullet is the Berger 156 EOL with H1000. It has killed 4 Coues bucks and 18 head of African game so far. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on Elk.
Thank you very much Vance that was very informative! Much appreciated help from everyone that has posted ! I am going with the Xm or a long action!

I plan on building a 6.5 PRC next year, I am going with a long action in a Kelbly Atlas Tactical, I plan to use the Hawkins M5 bottom metal with the Wyatt 300 PRC box. I am going to order a pre- fit in the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC and make two rifles out of one. I had sent Wyatt a message asking if my build would work with the 6.5, they responded it should, but could have some minor issues using a SA cartridge in a LA, but I have seen several people stating they have done it with no problems. Good luck and let us know how your build goes.

You'll have issues getting the 6.5 prc to feed reliably using the 300 prc box. The cutout in the box needs to be moved back to feed the 6.5 case. I spoke with Wyatt's about getting them to make a specific box and he said he might look into it if there was enough call for them. You might give them a call to see if they have something in the works.