6.5 PRC Barrel Length 24"vs 26" Velocity

Guys quoting speeds out of a Creedmoor that meet or beat a PRC are either over pressure or comparing a unicorn powder to a run of the mill slower powder. All things equal with correct powders for each the PRC will run ~200fps faster.

Just for kicks I did just that on QuickLOAD. Your ABLR 142 will run ~2950 out of a 24" Creedmoor and ~3000 out of a 26" with RL26 (unicorn powder in the Creedmoor). The PRC will run ~3150 out of a 24" and ~3200 out of a 26" with VV570 (unicorn powder in the PRC). Any individual variances from that from chambering, fast vs slow barrels, etc. could just as easily apply to one over the other. Those projections are at near max pressure on both but no over.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor that I love. I hate to admit it but ended up with one after a few experiences shooting and carrying friends rifles. They just work. That is in a Kimber lightweight hunting rifle. If the weight or loss of a round or two in the mag box aren't an issue I'd do the PRC. If I wasn't building a 300 PRC for heavier stuff, I'd probably do the 6.5 PRC over the Creedmoor.

If it helps, I'd be happy to do a few runs in QuickLOAD for you.

Dave
Thank you for the info. After more research it looks like the 2 inches is not going to be much of a gain. That opens up a ton of Options for me! Thanks!

I know the feeling. My first full custom was ~$4K. While I can afford it, I have trouble justifying the cost for a one-time payment at that time. Because I was not in a hurry I started setting aside money for it. I purchased all the components myself with a consultation with my gunsmith. When done incrementally, it is a lot easier to manage. Just my personal experience for you to ponder. Good luck!

Ed
I must have gotten your advice telepathically..that is exactly what I am doing. Buying my proof barrel this week, and possibly the action, or the MPA chassis. In the meantime I am settling for a "Factory" 1st choice: Seekins Havak PH2, 2nd choice CA ELR or BA Tactical, Tie for second: Browning Xbolt Max Long Range. I need a go-to or back-up rifle for this hunting season. Thanks!

The unicorn powder for the PRC is ? I am starting load development for a 6.5 PRC and was not familiar with that powder. starting with H1000, 26"barrel 147 gr ELD help me out here please
I would look at VV570 and RL33. The bigger case capacity needs the slower powders. No guarantees with your particular rifle but those show the most promise.

So far I've got good accuracy with RL26 and H1000. Have Retumbo , N570 ,N565 and RL23 to try yet.
This is a quickload break down on the 143eldx courtesy of @jpndave, 26" barrel 3.05" coal.
Screenshot_20200524-072920.jpg

I would look at VV570 and RL33. The bigger case capacity needs the slower powders. No guarantees with your particular rifle but those show the most promise.
I found some H1000 and RL25 Friday. So I will be trying these first with ABLR 142, 143 ELDX, 147 ELDM. Thank for your input and data!

Thank you for the info. After more research it looks like the 2 inches is not going to be much of a gain. That opens up a ton of Options for me! Thanks!

~50fps for 2 in. You'll have to decide how to balance that out. I like the balance and how a slightly longer barrel feels. I'll run a 24 instead of a 22 on my Kimber 6.5 Creedmoor and a 26 on my 300 PRC. Velocity is just one piece of the puzzle.

Welcome to the forum!

Tell me barrel length, which bullet, powder, etc. and I'll get you some start points. May want to pm if it is more than the basics.
Thank you Dave. Sorry to get out in the weeds here.

Question: What Rifle are you able to get 3.05 COAL? Not in a DBM correct? From what I have researched the ideal action would be a tad longer that a "standard Rem SA". The answer to this would probably help me on the Custom build. I really have my heart set on an MPA ultralight Chassis to put it in but that would limit me to 2.950 COAL as far as I can see.

I am going to buy a production gun for now. Either a Browning Xbolt Max LR 26" 1-7", or a Seekins Havak PH2 24" 1-8" (If I can find one). Then buying the pieces for a Custom as I can. Not sure if I can get the custom done before hunting season this year, but for sure next year.

I will be loading new ADG brass, FedGM210M primers and the powders and bullets I mentioned earlier to start. Can't find Redding S bushing dies anywhere, so I had to settle with Match Hornady Bushing dies for now.

I will let you know which production gun I go with.

Thanks!

Thank you Dave. Sorry to get out in the weeds here.

Question: What Rifle are you able to get 3.05 COAL? Not in a DBM correct? From what I have researched the ideal action would be a tad longer that a "standard Rem SA". The answer to this would probably help me on the Custom build. I really have my heart set on an MPA ultralight Chassis to put it in but that would limit me to 2.950 COAL as far as I can see.

I am going to buy a production gun for now. Either a Browning Xbolt Max LR 26" 1-7", or a Seekins Havak PH2 24" 1-8" (If I can find one). Then buying the pieces for a Custom as I can. Not sure if I can get the custom done before hunting season this year, but for sure next year.

I will be loading new ADG brass, FedGM210M primers and the powders and bullets I mentioned earlier to start. Can't find Redding S bushing dies anywhere, so I had to settle with Match Hornady Bushing dies for now.

I will let you know which production gun I go with.

Thanks!

That 3.05 COAL was for highdrum's rifle. He is using a Tikka long action (more of a long mid length action) and a Christensen that probably has a Wyatts box in it. I was going to build a 6.5 PRC in my MDT chassis but decided to go to a 6mm Creedmoor for the exact reason you are mentioning. AICS mags in a short action don't leave any extra room for a 6.5 PRC to go. I have shot both of those actions in a 6.5 Creed and though not my favorite they are nice guns and I see the appeal. They guys that have those rifles LOVE them. My tastes simply run a different direction in a hunting gun and that is below.

What follows is my opinion so hopefully I don't start a drama fest. I don't care for the Browning bolt action rifles. Just not anywhere to go building them really and there are better choices out there. A Seekins would be ok. I scored a deal on a Bergara premier barreled action for my chassis so I went that route for it. It will be here tomorrow and we'll see how that turns out. In a hunting rifle I am a fan of the Model 70 type CRF/firing pin block 3 position safety. I have a Kimber in 6.5 Creed and am building a 300 PRC on a Montana Rifle Co long action. Both are in wood stocks (with some mods) and both will be getting Wyatt boxes (or similar if he doesn't have one). The the MDT/Bergara 6 Creed is a long range/coyote maybe fun competition rifle that I don't plan on carrying.

ADG brass is less capacity and the loads need to be backed off accordingly. I just ran two of those for highdrum. I have two sets of the 6.5 PRC Master Hunter Redding dies (one 2 and one 3) sets I need to sell but those are not bushing dies. Redding is backed up badly since they were forced to shut down in the mess. They are supposed to be back up and running. I have several orders waiting to be filled. If you decide you want to wait for a set I would be happy to add them to the order.

Let us know what you are looking for and maybe suggestions would help you out.

Dave