6.5 PRC Barrel Length 24"vs 26" Velocity

RL26 and StaBALL are too fast to optimize the PRC case. Look at RL33 & VV570.
David, with the 122gr bullets we were referring to, those two powders work quite well. Its a copper solid with a very short bearing surface. Rl23, H4831sc, RL26 and stabal all get that bullet to 3300+ in my old 23" barrel.

Thank you FEENIX. Budget is tight, however I don't think I will be happy with any of the "Factory" offerings. They are the wrong barrel length in the ones I like, and too dang heavy in the ones with 26" tubes. With the exception of Christensen Arms. I am not impressed with their quality.
Sir a couple of the hunters up here there money was some what tight so they had me get a part a month over the winter a proof barrel one month a action the next month then a stock two of them even went with used H&S off of e-bay I found them for !/2 the new price after all the parts were in we put them all togeather and head spaced them they now all have switch barrel rigs and know how to do it themselves best way to go

David, with the 122gr bullets we were referring to, those two powders work quite well. Its a copper solid with a very short bearing surface. Rl23, H4831sc, RL26 and stabal all get that bullet to 3300+ in my old 23" barrel.
Kris,

I missed the 122gr Solid. Thanks for pointing that out. I probably should have worded that a little differently anyway. RL26 gets closer as the bullets get lighter. RL33 and VV570 are still slightly better. Here is a 120gr Barnes which is the closest solid I could find on there. This is on the 26" we were using before so minus ~75fps puts it right where you were at. VV570 on that run would be the best choice if the rifle likes it. RL33 won't fit quite enough in the case as run/seated for full pressure. RL26 is not quite 100% fill.

2020-05-23 (2).png

First off I am a Newbie on here. Not a Newbie with shooting and reloading.

I am building/buying a 6.5PRC, I have decided on a 26" tube, however my choices unless I go Totally custom are pretty limited in this barrel length. Does anyone out there have reliable data on velocity with Hornady 147 ELDM "Factory Loaded" ammo out of a 24" and 26" tube for me to ponder on? I have brand new ADG brass, and I am planning on trying the ABLR 142gr, Horn ELDX 143gr, and Berger 156EOL. This will be mainly a Hunting rig. From my research so far I am scratching my head on why some many makers are building their rifles with 24" tubes and this cartridge, as I have read many Shooters claims that they are getting very close to PRC velocity's with their Creeds. If that is the case a 24" in this caliber seems like a waste?

If I build I am going with an Axiom Hybrid action and a 26-28" Proof tube 1-7.5t.

Thanks!
Hopefully this will help, as our equipment is somewhat similar. I am running a 26 inch, 1 in 8 twist barrel on a Curtis Helix action, ,caliber 6.5 PRC. I did my breakin with Hornady factory 147 grain ELDM and 143 grain ELDX ammunition. I used a Magnetospeed Sportster to measure velocities.

The ELDM (during break-in) ran consistently around 2950 fps, with one round that dropped 50 fps for unknown reasons. Accuracy was good, with rounds 16 thru 20 grouping around .674 at 100 yards and decent weather with a negligible wind from about 5:30. The 143 ELDX rounds averaged 2989 fps for 17 rounds. I didn't fire the last 3 because accuracy was severely degraded to the point that I began checking for loose screws, etc. Runout on the three unfired rounds was later measured as .012 max, with a minimum of .006 Extreme spread for the ELDX ammo was 61, SD was 24 for those 17 rounds.

I've moved on to ADG brass and am still fire-forming, but on a lark, picked a load out of a hat and fired 20 rounds loaded with 55 grains of H1000 and 140 grain Accubonds. Velocity averaged 2846 fps with an ES of 36 and an SD of 11. Obviously, the load needs work, and I haven't established much at this point.

In summary, the Hornady ELDM ammo is pretty fair stuff in this equipment. I realize that the numbers will change as the rifle settles in, but thought this might help.

As was mentioned the creed cant match the prc unless stupid loading is going on. And then is it consistant?

Iv got adg brass in 24" tube savage tac @ 3050 with 60 grains h1000 and minimalpressure sign yet. (start lower of course! This is my chamber) 147eldm.

I really like that prc so far. No brake and a girl can shoot it....low recoil.

Have fun

Have you gotten decent accuracy with the 122? I have shot a lot through a different barrel and it was a shotgun pattern. Pulled the barrel and sent it back to manufacturer. My new barrel will be here very soon. I used rl26 around 63.3gr to get 3340fps in my old rifle and that was a 23" barrel. I'd be interested in knowing you coal and freebore for jump preference.

With the 122gr Lehigh's and 124gr Hammers I got accuracy well under 1/2 MOA when I was using Superformance. Found out how temp sensitive that was so I got the 122gr Cayuga along with StaBall 6.5 to do some pressure testing.

Just did some testing on Thursday with my PRC, 57.5 gr of H1000 gives me 2963 fps out of a 24" Proof CF barrel. I have some RL-26 but have not yet gotten the chance to test it.

Running the light mono's for hunting I got up to 3322 with 58.9gr StaBall 6.5 using the 122gr Cayuga solids with only slightly flattened primers.
Where did you find the load data for 6.5 PRC with staball 6.5 ? I have 7 pds of it and haven't used yet. Found 6.5 Creed data. No PRC. Thought maybe was not slow enough. Your load could be close to a 124 Hammer.
Thanks

Out of a C.A. Ridgeline 6.5 PRC 24 in. Barrel I chonographed these the other day ,
Factory ELDM 2886 fps
140 Accubond with 58.3 grs. H1000 Ave. 3014 fps.
156 Berger EOL . 54.0 grs. RL26. Ave. 2838 fps.

Where did you find the load data for 6.5 PRC with staball 6.5 ? I have 7 pds of it and haven't used yet. Found 6.5 Creed data. No PRC. Thought maybe was not slow enough. Your load could be close to a 124 Hammer.
Thanks

Couldn't find any so I cross referenced multiple sources comparing StaBall 6.5 to other powders in cases of similar volume then simply started low and worked my way up.

61E1FE81-7A95-4080-93A1-3097EBF2B76D.jpeg

Based on my testing so far I'm going to do more in small increments around 58gr and 59gr to see what comes of it. However that will have to wait, I'm currently going to start testing the 153.5gr Berger's for a long range class with a 3000 fps limit. I figure the heavy bullets with H1000 should get me close without going over.

I know the feeling. My first full custom was ~$4K. While I can afford it, I have trouble justifying the cost for a one-time payment at that time. Because I was not in a hurry I started setting aside money for it. I purchased all the components myself with a consultation with my gunsmith. When done incrementally, it is a lot easier to manage. Just my personal experience for you to ponder. Good luck!

Ed
This is why I've been looking at posts with ur 264wm barrelnut and been considering it's time to do them myself...or buy a lathe lol

have a 6.5 prc in a ridgeline shooy 58.5 grains h1000 w/berger 140 grain elite hunter 2980 w/24 incn barrel

I just worked up a load for my prc today. 26" barrel with RE26 at 58.2 grains was a node without pressure. 59 grains gave a slight ejector mark with a little of a heavy bolt lift. The node at 58.2 was 3066 with a SD of 4.1 on a four shot string. There was also a node at 57 grains with a velocity of 2990. Shot the 58.2 out to 500 and had a 2" group and a 2.5" group. This was shooting the berger 156.

Couldn't find any so I cross referenced multiple sources comparing StaBall 6.5 to other powders in cases of similar volume then simply started low and worked my way up.

View attachment 195252

Based on my testing so far I'm going to do more in small increments around 58gr and 59gr to see what comes of it. However that will have to wait, I'm currently going to start testing the 153.5gr Berger's for a long range class with a 3000 fps limit. I figure the heavy bullets with H1000 should get me close without going over.
You saved me some work. Just bought some 153.5 few days ago. Some 200.2 30 cal. also. What next ? Haven't even tried 145 6.5 yet.
Thanks

Last edited: