6.5 PRC Barrel Length (22" or 24")

I have a 6.5 Creed Browning X-Bolt Pro with a 22" barrel. when I re-barrel it will be a 24" barrel for a bit more velocity.

For the 6.5 PRC (really a 6.5 magnum cartridge) you may as well go to 24" right away to maximize the 6.5 PRC potential. Otherwise just get the 6.5 Creed.

**The 6.5 PRC is a magnum cartridge that should not be dropped to 6.5 Creed velocity levels just to save a few inches and ounces off a barrel. Instead drop those ounces from some other gear like the rifle sling, scope mount, scope, hunting boots, etc. (even off yourself ;o)

Eric B.

Thinner taper or get a lightweight action. I mean how light does this thing need to be. My 30-06 kimber with Leupold 4.5-14 and sling is 6.5lbs and it's got a 24" barrel.

Look at the Match Grade Machine website. They did some tests on barrels and cut them back one inch at a time, then charted and graphed the results along with their recommendations. The 6.5 PCR was not one of the rounds but I do remember that the 6.5 Creedmoor was. That test should give you the answer you're looking for.
The CM isn't even in the same zipcode with the PRC when it comes to case volume.

Barrel length comparisons of the CM will have no reflection on the PRC.

To keep pressures reasonable in the PRC while still hitting the 2950-3000fps mark you'll need to stick to the slower powders which are badly hampered by the shorter barrels.

If I were to build one I'd at least go with a 26" barrel. If you want a 20-24" barrel you'd be money ahead with the CM or .260 Rem.

Check out the new Mountain Shadow by Axial.
Lots of benefits with a short barrel like harmonics control, big bullet accuracy etc. with the new powders you give up so little the gain far outweighs any small insignificant loss of velocity.

I just built one on a 22" proof bbl and couldn't be happier. With good brass hitting the market you should easily be able to surpass the velocities of a 6.5x284 with a 26" bbl and you gain the short action to boot. I only have 33 rounds through mine so far so final speeds of my gun have not been determined yet but I am shooting a 21" creedmoor with Lapua brass and 143 ELDX at 2860 and have loaded the brass 5 times so far. I will venture to say my 22" PRC will end up around 3050 with a 143 with decent brass life and temp stable powders. I kind of regret not going 20" on this build.
That is an awesome looking rifle! Could you give some details of the build, especially the stock. What kind of velocity are you getting now with some rounds down the barrel? Thanks

UPDATE: I sold my 6.5 Creed. X-Bolt Pro and bought an X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 PRC (24 inch barrel, 1:7 twist)

The scope is a BUSHNELL Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 with illuminated small "Xmas tree" G3 reticle and bronze Cerakoted Talley rings.

I feel this rifle and scope is about the best setup for western hunting. Light and long range.
Eric B.

That is an awesome looking rifle! Could you give some details of the build, especially the stock. What kind of velocity are you getting now with some rounds down the barrel? Thanks
That was built off a Lone Peak Razor Ti, McMillan hunter stock, proof bbl. I've sold the rifle but it was shooting the 147 Eldm at 2950 and the 140 Berger's at 3025.

"Aoudad", For the tiny extra weight of 2 more inches on the end of my barrel and the extra velocity (about +-100 ft. per second) I'd go with what Browning has decided upon.

Otherwise Have the velocity of a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor and then what's the point of having a 6.5 PRC??
Further Browning gave me a fast 1:7 twist to handle heavier bullets that the 6.5 PRC can utilize. I think Browning nailed the barrel specs and that's among several other reasons why I bought it.

Eric B.

I am building a lightweight mountain / sheep rifle. I would like to go with a 20 or 22' barrel but have heard that I should strongly consider a 24" barrel in order to get the most out of this caliber. What are you guys thoughts? Is a shorter barrel limiting the 6.5 PRC? Thanks in advance for any feedback?
Check out this podcast it has some interesting data in it. I have a 6.5 PRC that I built 2 years ago to replace an 11lb long range rifle so I chose a 26 not being sure how the new cartridge would perform. Now that people have tested it some I'd switch to a 22. Per the Gunwerks data they have gathered I would only loose 80-120fps off the 156 load I am currently shooting for hunting. I'm easily hitting 3040fps with a 156 now and would be somewhere in the 2920-2960 range with a 22. Not a dimes worth of difference at 1000 yards. At normal altitudes I hunt at using the lower 2920fps number that's about 93fps less in velocity and 123ftlbs less in energy at a 1000yards.

Plus if I put a 6in suppressor on it, wham, most of my velocity loss is back.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts