6.5 PRC Barrel Concern

Fire cracking and carbon. Nothing to worry about unless your throat is going to crap. If it shoots, just clean carbon every 50 or so, clean the chamber and action well, and send it.

Bore scopes are good if you have a rifle that quit shooting but where it still shoots good I wouldn't worry about it and keep shooting it until it doesn't shoot to your expectations just my 2 cents good luck

Time to give it,.. the JB's, "Treatment" ! Polish, that thing, a Bit !
Look up,.. "Fire cracking" and Carbon,.. cleaning methods.
Run "Cool" Powders, IF you can !
Send the Bore Scope back for, a Refund and put the Money towards,.. a 6.5 Creedmoor for,.. Practice !

Last edited:
It appears you have a typical Carbon Ring ( the narrow black ring). I'd get that out of there with some CLR or what have you. Squirt some solvent into your bore guide and onto a bronze brush and shove it into the throat a 1/2" or so and twist it by hand a couple dozen times and then take another look. It might take a couple times. Then hit the entire bore.

Sometimes, I wish that I had never bought my borescope. Fire cracking and erosion are the costs of high velocity cartridges. That is the nature of the beast. You can not eliminate but you can minimize it buy letting your barrel cool between shots. I belong to a group of cowboy long range silhouette shooters some of them are avid believers of using oven cleaner for cleaning out carbon rings. They say it doesn't hurt the barrel and works great. Makes sense, oven cleaner was designed to remove carbon.