6.5 PRC Ballistics - drops don’t match ballistics chart

I'm not looking for an argument either trying to figure out why you make a statement like you would not shoot a elk past 100 yards with a 140 bullet and correct me if I am wrong when you have little or no experience shooting one with a 6.5 140.

Look, I'm sure you're a nice guy

I'm not looking for an argument, I just can't imagine the reasoning for the original post

BTW, a 6.5mm isn't a legal caliber in Kentucky for elk
The reasoning is actually very simple. If you are going to dial your scope for longer shots it is better to start with a 100 yard zero. It is possible to set your zero at any distance you want and dial, but 100 has very little impact from environmental conditions. Once out further than 100 you need to start recording the enviro's that your zero was set at as your zero will be shifting. Some ballistic apps have a place for that and some don't.

But if you don't dial then set it at whatever you want. A flat shooting cartridge with a 200 or 300 yard zero covers many hunting situations. Just have to remember that your 200 zero may not be precisly zero with a change in air pressure/density.

I'm not looking for an argument either trying to figure out why you make a statement like you would not shoot a elk past 100 yards with a 140 bullet and correct me if I am wrong when you have little or no experience shooting one with a 6.5 140.
Frankly, I don't think 140 is enough for an Elk past about 100 yards based on FPE

And I really don't get not being comfortable shooting something the size of an elk past 100 yards

The reasoning is actually very simple. If you are going to dial your scope for longer shots it is better to start with a 100 yard zero. It is possible to set your zero at any distance you want and dial, but 100 has very little impact from environmental conditions. Once out further than 100 you need to start recording the enviro's that your zero was set at as your zero will be shifting. Some ballistic apps have a place for that and some don't.

But if you don't dial then set it at whatever you want. A flat shooting cartridge with a 200 or 300 yard zero covers many hunting situations. Just have to remember that your 200 zero may not be precisly zero with a change in air pressure/density.

Your second paragraph is exactly what I said

Frankly, I don't think 140 is enough for an Elk past about 100 yards based on FPE

And I really don't get not being comfortable shooting something the size of an elk past 100 yards

How many FPE do you think is needed?

You keep thinking what you're thinking, others will keep killing bulls with a 6.5 140 (or 139).

I tried a drop test of my 6.5 PRC. I handloaded 56.1 gn. of RL26 pushing 143gn. ELD-X bullets. MV 3105 FPS at 85F Sea Level. First problem I encountered was that my 100 yard zero was 1.5 MOA low in conditions of 2700' MSL at 40F. I re-Zeroed at 100y in the current conditions. Then without changing my scope turrets I shot at 200, 300, 400, 500, & 600 yards. Here are the measured drops.

200 - 1.75"
300 - 6.75"
400 - 14"
500 - 32.5"
600 - 59"

Of these drops only the 200y and 600y drops match the Hornady ballistic calculations. The 300, 400, & 500y drops are less than the calculated chart.

At 600y at 2700' msl, 40F, zero wind, the calculated MOA is 9.75. So I dialed the turret to that number and shot 3 rounds. They landed about 12" above my aim point. That equates to about 2 MOA.

I wish that I had access to 600y range to test my scope turrets at each distance. Unfortunately I can now only shoot at 100y until a Montana Elk Hunt in 3 weeks.

My question is what should I do to confirm accurate drops out to 500y and get good numbers to dial into my scope? If it matters I have a VX6 HD 3-18 TMOA scope.
The height of your scope bases and rings will change these numbers at 100 yds.

How many FPE do you think is needed?

You keep thinking what you're thinking, others will keep killing bulls with a 6.5 140 (or 139).
A 6.5 mm 140 grain Berger elite hunter put one hell of a dent in a 1 inch piece of mild steel at 500 yards I think it would do good at least out that far
94604ED6-C911-4C9B-A99A-628CA69BD371.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.