6.5 PRC again

• Thread starter Deleted member 115654
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 115654

Took advice from last time and applied light crimp w/Lee die.

Also found data on Hodgdon site.

Mauser M-18, Anthon 6-24 Midas

Hornady Match cases and 147 ELD, sized to a mild effort close, Wolf magnum primers, same oal as factory match, 100 yards, 5 mph following wind.

comments welcomed.

IMG_4090.jpeg

IMG_4088.jpeg
IMG_4089.jpeg

I was having 1" groups with my Browning x bolt and found a good load with a 2.960" COAL, I shot a solid .46" group with 143 ELDX with the exact combo, even the same COAL... my magazine was limiting my bullet choices. Good luck!!

Attachments

• AF594DC9-312B-474D-8B49-EF2E233E8D96.jpeg
    AF594DC9-312B-474D-8B49-EF2E233E8D96.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 185
I agree, lose the crimp; causes a very big variable. Vertical stringing in target 3 shows very poor powder accuracy node. Lack of vertical stringing in targets 1 and 2 show promise. Reshoot each plus/minus 0.3 grains either side of these to check accuracy node and close up vertical distance. Then close up the horizontal stringing by adjusting bullet jump. Concentrate on one powder at a time.
Good luck.

Thanks. I have 10 pounds of H1000 only 4 of Retumbo (which my 338 RUM likes)

So all the members who said "crimp" are wrong ?

Not wrong; but it adds another variable to deal with. If the crimp is not exactly the same from case to case bullet release will not be consistent and accuracy will suffer. Variations in neck thickness can create differing crimp pressures. But if it gives you the results your are after then do it.

I would try without the crimp first. I have a couple loads for my .300 WM that worked out good, and then loaded the same recipe and added a crimp. I will get out to the range after hunting season is over and try them for comparison. I like to try all variables, but only one powder at a time.

Took advice from last time and applied light crimp w/Lee die.

Also found data on Hodgdon site.

Mauser M-18, Anthon 6-24 Midas

Hornady Match cases and 147 ELD, sized to a mild effort close, Wolf magnum primers, same oal as factory match, 100 yards, 5 mph following wind.

comments welcomed.

View attachment 222666
View attachment 222664View attachment 222665

Hello
Since retumbo and h1000 is hard to find, I try out the N565 with Berger 156 gr, I have good luck with it, my prc can reach 3050 FPS and still shoot less than half MOA. Everyone need to try N565 for 6.5 prc,

Retumbo load looks pretty good. As already noted, control your other variables now. Try crimped vs non crimped for the same load as a simple example. You have OAL and powder charge ladder test. Don't get down on crimping or anything else, just because someone says so. Many don't like crimping only because it's another variable. That being said, where crimping works, it is critical to keep it uniform. Looks good so far.

One powder at a time, starting at lowest charge weight(or close) working your way up to max or pressure in .3 or .5 grain increments, with everything else the exact same every time. Find the velocity node below pressure, then start adjusting seating depth to tighten groups. I like to lean on the chrono during the charge testing to track ES and SD as those tell the story. Lots of videos, articles and posts on load development All over here, good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.