6.5 PRC accuracy velocities

Kodiak17

Just got my new 6.5 PRC loading 156 Berger EOL's and curious as to what velocities others are seeing the best accuracies at for this bullet? Thanks for any information

While I personally have not used that exact Bullet I was able to get good accuracy with the 153gr Berger's using H1000 at 2920 fps.

While I personally have not used that exact Bullet I was able to get good accuracy with the 153gr Berger's using H1000 at 2920 fps.
How much powder did it take to make that velocity? My gun has a 24" barrel and I loaded up to 58.3gr of H1000 but was only at 2880 fps, .020 off the lands. No pressure so I may try to slide up a little more.

I settled in at 57.2gr and 0.100 jump but went up to 57.7 which netted me 2950 fps from a proof prefit using ADG brass. Also I should note that I'm running suppressed so that probably adds a few fps.

I wanted to do more testing but I was on a time crunch as I learned about the 147 ELD-Ms blowing up and switched to the Berger's 3 weeks before a shooting class so I had only a couple range trips to finalize my load and make 300 rounds.

Ideally I wanted to use RL-26 which would have given better velocities but I only had a pound which wasn't enough to load all the rounds I needed.

One thing I did note was that velocity stabilized the farther I got from the lands, I showed a velocity drop on my seating test from .040 to .100 but from .100 to .120 there was no drop.

My 31" barrel is getting 3288 fps with 64 grains of Vihtavouri N570. It shoots great in my gun. Berger says maximum load is 64.1 grains. I really like this load, wish I could find a deal on N570.

My 31" barrel is getting 3288 fps with 64 grains of Vihtavouri N570. It shoots great in my gun. Berger says maximum load is 64.1 grains. I really like this load, wish I could find a deal on N570.
Nice velocity. That's my goal. I will loose velocity with my 26" barrel but the n570 will make up some ground for it. Luckily I put quite a few jugs back for some rifles. Also have a 28 nosler it will be powering. I'll try it in the prc after reading your results. Of course barrel life won't be long with that combo but I'd rather replace barrels lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.