6.5 PRC 156 load development

Going to try a whidden this week and see if helps. I've had to drop an additional grain of powder in some examples to stop the bolt lift click and extraction issue but I'm approaching creedmoor levels of fps. A Sherman is looking very good right now

I've posted on this on my Sherman Wildcat page because of all the sizing problems people have.
The problem with die makers is, they tend run on the loose side because to properly size a magnum case, you are only about a thou short of cracking the die. Another problem is they are made for saami spec and for throw away brass, or at least brass that can only be fired 3-4 times. Most dies will size once or twice fired brass ok and then problems start because the brass doesnt spring back as far after a few firings.
When a die maker gives you a spec of .530", for example, it doesnt mean it will size to .530" because of spring back.
Ive dealt with 3 different die makers for my stuff and here is what Ive learned.
For a magnum size case head, you need to ask for .0045" under chamber size to get .0015" -.002" sizing on the web, which is what you need. You MIGHT get by with .004" under but with heat treat and polishing differences, you are taking a chance!

I've posted on this on my Sherman Wildcat page because of all the sizing problems people have.
The problem with die makers is, they tend run on the loose side because to properly size a magnum case, you are only about a thou short of cracking the die. Another problem is they are made for saami spec and for throw away brass, or at least brass that can only be fired 3-4 times. Most dies will size once or twice fired brass ok and then problems start because the brass doesnt spring back as far after a few firings.
When a die maker gives you a spec of .530", for example, it doesnt mean it will size to .530" because of spring back.
Ive dealt with 3 different die makers for my stuff and here is what Ive learned.
For a magnum size case head, you need to ask for .0045" under chamber size to get .0015" -.002" sizing on the web, which is what you need. You MIGHT get by with .004" under but with heat treat and polishing differences, you are taking a chance!
Have you seen more issues with thick brass like the adg/peterson/lapau or this the same regardless?

It will happen with any brass eventually.
Can I assume correctly your kit for a 6.5 sherman addressed all these issues and all I need is the reamer, dies, and brass?

This really sucks. I am headed back to camp in a few days and have a couple active wolf packs I am going to pursue. Elk activity was low so it's time to switch it up. I have concerns about my brass issues.

Can I assume correctly your kit for a 6.5 sherman addressed all these issues and all I need is the reamer, dies, and brass?

This really sucks. I am headed back to camp in a few days and have a couple active wolf packs I am going to pursue. Elk activity was low so it's time to switch it up. I have concerns about my brass issues.
I think we have the die issue pretty much figured out

OK, I am going to look into what I have to spend to get set up and when. This couldn't have come at a worse time for me.
Sorry to hear that. I think I can get you turned around fast with a couple of good. builders. Let me know how I can help!

I talked to a guy that had RCBS Match Master dies and he said his die was sizing the base down to .529 or so, which would be perfect. Anyone else tried one, before I buy my fourth sizing die that won't size correctly?

I talked to a guy that had RCBS Match Master dies and he said his die was sizing the base down to .529 or so, which would be perfect. Anyone else tried one, before I buy my fourth sizing die that won't size correctly?
Heard the same and looking for confirmation. I am about over this PRC crap. Ready for a sherman.

156gr Berger with h1000 55.5gr

Attachments

• A7B65A7A-989B-48E3-A66B-A90E6B4C89C2.jpeg
    A7B65A7A-989B-48E3-A66B-A90E6B4C89C2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100