6.5 or 300 wm

seriousscout

? what would be beater for longrange elk hunting 6.5 or 30 cal. i have a 300WM with berger168VDL pushing 3300fps. freind says the 6.5 would have more conetic energy then the 30cal would for long distance .gun)

I would stick with your 300wm but i would go for the 190gr bergers,what your friend says is close for the .30cal 168@3300 has "about" 50ft/lbs more energy than a 6.5 140 gr berger@3050fps at 1000yards so for that bullet weight i would say they are equal, step up to the heavier bullets and you will have more energy downrange with the winny mag and better s.d with the .30.

I made a metal gong for my 500yd range and have shot it several times with my .243 using 95gn Ballistic Tips, my 6.5-284 w/120gn B-Tips, a friends .270Win w/ 130 & 150gn SP. None of these dented the 1/4" metal but they did splatter and knock the paint off.

I shot it with my .300WinMag using 180gn B-Tips and it went through it like hot butter. The metal didn't even have "pull" marks, it looked like it had been drilled through with an AC drill!

So I was thinking the rest of these rounds are pretty whimpy and what a stomper that .300WM must really be. Then, then, then I loaded some 140gn AccuTips (Remington) ahead of 51.5gn of RL22/BR2 for my 6.5-284Norma and slung it at my gong. They went through just as effortlessly as the 180's from the .300 did. I am impressed with the 6.5 to say the least.

Here is a picture of my gong. Those bullet holes you see are from the .300WM. I wasn't really shooting for groups but both turned out pretty good. I really just wanted to hear that "smack". :) I haven't taken another picture of it since. The orange circle is roughly 5". JohnnyK.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzItMjAxMDA1MjktMTc0O.jpg

Good luck with your decision.

This is a no brainer. The 300 will give you more margin for error. A bigger heavier bullet always wins at long range when shooting a live target. A 338 Lapua would be even better.

Both are excellent calibers and will do the job, say around 900ish yards on ideal conditions and well seasoned shooter and proper equipment for the LR shot/hunt. I have both caliber and is a big fan, however, because it is the majestic elk, I'd stick to the .300 WM with the largest bullet it can accurately shoot, i.e., .190gr or .210gr Berger Hunting VLDs.

One of my .300WM is shoots the .200gr NAB and other a .190gr Berger Hunting VLD.

Good luck!

Ed

As nearly everyone has said, the 300 with heavier bullets. Since you have so many good choices in the 300, I wouldn't use anything less than 180's on up.....Rich

I'm impressed with the 6.5-284 but I'm no fool. With the requirement of 1 shot - 500-800yds, I'd have to go with my .300WinMag. Never shot an elk but I've read those bigger bulls can absorb some shock and still go. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.