6.5 opinions

Standard 260 brass is large rifle primer.
We can put it together in small if desired. I wouldn't,, not for that capacity.
David Tubb tested this, and found that 6XC capacity crossed the limit in best ignition from small primers. He chose large with this, and I believe him because he would have chosen small primer otherwise. It was his brass, his choice.

Standard 260 brass is large rifle primer.
We can put it together in small if desired. I wouldn't,, not for that capacity.
David Tubb tested this, and found that 6XC capacity crossed the limit in best ignition from small primers. He chose large with this, and I believe him because he would have chosen small primer otherwise. It was his brass, his choice.

I have the greatest respect for david. he is a great shooter, gunsmith & reloaded. I have learned much from him. But that being said. his choices for the pocket size may have been related to the powder choice that he uses due to its ignition responce. changing the flash hole size also will change that responce. but my reason for shooting the small primer in the 260ai is the operation preasure that i use and the margens that it provides to get the most from the 260. MY results have been proven for me with a consistant SUB .200 on MOST days depending how much coffee I drink.

Let me ask it this way. Those of you with a 260 and experience loading for it. Do you think it have any trouble getting 2900 and accuracy out of a 28 inch barrel?

Ok what powders should I start with?

I really like H4831SC but you may not be able to get to 2900 with it. It will get close. H4350 and VV N560 are also good choices and create top velocities. I have heard good news about H1000 and RL 17 I have not tried them as yet temp sensitivity is in question with RL 17.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

4831sc is a good start with a 28" barrel I would also try magpro designed for short mags its what I use in the 6.5 284 and my 260 ai it likes long barrels & heavy bullets. It got me better velocity and better accuracy than h1000 or retambo with less felt recoil. it likes the top loads with the berger 140 at or above max load data.

4831sc is a good start with a 28" barrel I would also try magpro designed for short mags its what I use in the 6.5 284 and my 260 ai it likes long barrels & heavy bullets. It got me better velocity and better accuracy than h1000 or retambo with less felt recoil. it likes the top loads with the berger 140 at or above max load data.

Good info. Thanks.

Awesome thanks greyfox. I was running 59 grains in my 6.5x284 so I think using 15-16 grains less powder is gonna be very nice. And my program says it will still expand at sea level for when I'm in georgia. Looks like 4350 is gonna be the way to go! And since this is my thread I don't mind high jacking it. Anyone here have any experience loading for the 338-06? I just got one that I haven't shot and I have 210 tsx ready to go and was wondering if anyone had any magic loads because I'm willin to try anything. Thanks again

338-06 just like 35-06 is underbore it has a hard time building preasure. you will find loads in the imr 4350 burn area but I would use the faster powders listed in the load data just like blowing threw a straw you can build back preasure but when you blow threw a hose much larger you expell your lungs much faster. The under bore cartrages are the same way just like pistol loads small capacity large exit hole needs faster powder to build preasure. So of you use 250 gr bullets with a long barrel slower like the 4350 is ok but in most cases faster is better.

Some people have a hard time making Barns bullets fly good but i dont thay are easy to make super accurate. they like .075 to .125 off lands. solid copper needs the extra jump to lands. close causes spikes causing standard dv to be off from one round to another. Barns wont tell you this unless you ask. they state .050 for feeding reasons but thats just not true. how many people would buy Barns if they told you to seat .125 off lands when everyone else is at .010 off. people would ask why just like the rings cut in there bullets. they state its for a place for copper to go. Sound good but not true. the long shank on a solid copper bullet causes too much load bearing sufrace. the cuts are to reduce preasure. despite all the miss leading information by mr. Barns I use them. and they work well for me. but there b.c. sucks. Its great close range when used at peak velocity. it will work well in your 338-06

And since this is my thread I don't mind high jacking it. Anyone here have any experience loading for the 338-06? I just got one that I haven't shot and I have 210 tsx ready to go and was wondering if anyone had any magic loads because I'm willin to try anything. Thanks again

I have a 338-06 AI under construction. Because of some issues delaying its completion, it will be awhile before I actually start burning powder with it and putting rounds down range.

My research indicates that RL-17 will be the powder to beat with bullets up to 225 grains or so. I have used RL-17 to good effect in 22-250, .308, and .375 H&H. It looks like it will be an excellent match for the 338-06.

Bi was thinking about tryin some rl17 that I have on the shelf. I'll start with that and see wha I can do. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.