6.5 opinions

Gray R

Hey guys. I've got a long action and a .264 barrel on the way here and I'm kinda second guessing my 6.5x284 choice. Ive had one and I love it but it seems like the 260 could do what I need it to do, and do it with cheaper brass and 15 grains less powder. Most of the guns life it will be for whitetail and targets to MAYBE 600 yards back in georgia. So can those of you with the 260 please chime in and let me know what kind of speeds you're getting with the 140? Thanks everybody in advance!

I shoot with a 260 of my buddies from time to time. He gets 2825 with a 140 and phenomenal accuracy. He's had certain loads over 2900 fps with 1/2 MOA accuracy but his 2825 load is closer to 1/4 so that's what he runs.

The 260, 6.5 Creedmoor, or 6.5x47 Lapua are phenomenal rounds. They lack a little horsepower compared to the 6.5x284 but they are a delight to shoot and get a few more rounds through them before the barrels need replacing.

If you already own a 6.5x284 I defijietly recommend you build a more mild 6.5 and smile every time you pull the trigger. :D

Don't have one yet, but always wanted to build a .260 AI. 6.5-284 is also a hell of a round. I have debated on building one of those instead of a .260 AI, but that debate will rage-on until the day I actually drop all the parts off with the smith, and make my final decision... LOL

Or, maybe give a thought to the 6.5x55 or if you like things "improved" a 6.5x55 Ackley Improved. Either way, you can use Lapua brass that is, as everyone knows, excellent quality and easily worth every penny. And, the 6.5x55 is still around and has been since the mid 1890's for good reason. Just something else to think about.

Yeah I live at sea level and even there 2800 fps will do everything I need it to so it's tempting. And I agree with ya mud I won't be certain what I'm doin until I check out the reamer. The lower recoil will be nice but the gun will be about 17 pounds all up so I don't think I'll have to worry either way. I appreciate the quick responses too guys

In a long action, 6.5x55 is the way to go. Lapua brass for the 6.5x55 is much less expensive vs .260 Lapua brass. The Swede has about a 5 grain edge in case capacity (nearly 10%) over the .260, which allows for effective use of slower powders.

Loaded to modern pressure levels, the 6.5x55 is a VERY underrated cartridge. My 6.5x55 runs step-for-step with my 6.5-284 out to 600 yards (as far as I have shot either rifle). There was so little advantage to the 6.5-284 that I am having mine punched out to .264 Win Mag.

IMO, the only way a .260 makes sense is if you are trying to fit a short action. If you are not trying to deal with short action space constraints, the 6.5x55 is superior in every other respect.

I tossed around different 6.5's for a while before settling on a 6.5 Sherman! If you haven't heard of it, do a search on the site and you'll see it come up in plenty of threads. It's a pretty impressive round and works in your standard LA with a .308 bolt face.

Haha the 6.5 Sherman is an extremely impressive round and I have considered one for other purposes. But I want minimal recoil and max barrel life so it may not be the way to go. It's either going to be the 260 or the 6.5x284 which is why I was asking for 260 velocities cause I'm not familiar with that one. I know that I can get the 6.5x284 way hotter I'm just not certain I need it

Another vote for the .260 Ackley. I used to have a couple 6.5-284s that is until I built my first .260 Ackley. It will literally do anything the 284 will do and use a lot less powder to do it. My 6.5-284 was pushing 140 bergers at 2960 with 56.0 grains of Retumbo and my current .260 Ackley is pushing the same 140 Berger at 2940 using 42.0gr of H4350. Both rifles running 26" barrels. The standard .260 packs plenty of punch for deer out to 600 and beyond.

I think the 260AI is the perfect capacity for ~140gr bullets.

I'm a big fan of the 260 Rem but with the case capacity of a 260 Rem AI and the 6.5x55 being pretty much identical, Lapua 260 brass cost $94 per 100 and isn't always in stock while Lapua 6.5x55 cost $67 per 100 and requires no fireforming, why would you go with a 260AI?

If the OP was building on a SA, to me, it would make more sense but considering this is a LA build, why go through the extra work and expense of improving the 260, which in my opinion, gains you very little, when the 6.5x55 will do anything the 260AI can but with no added work and cost.

Everyone has their favorites and I completely get that and if that's your choice because that's just what you like, cool, but if there is another reason, I'm all ears and I would welcome the opportunity to learn something new.

I see mostly 260Rem-vs-6.5x55 comparisons out there. But as far as 260 Ackley Improved, it holds a little more capacity and is improved over the stock 6.5x55 design.
It uses a standard .308 bolt face.
Fireforming adds ~100shots to a barrel, but all cartridge cases need to be fireformed, improved or not. That should be all you ever need, because the AI case improvement and any plan at all leads to endless life in brass.
This takes care of the brass cost disparity.

I don't consider either suitable for short action as the best in 26cal bullets are very long. But then, short action is relative to brand and make.
My 26WSSM IMP/139Laps would not work in a BAT short action. This is the same capacity as the 260AI but shorter. Hell the exposed bullet's half the length.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.