6,5 mm

sierra22

What 6,5mm do you use for deer, and what velocity do you get?

Myself I use an oldfashioned 6,5x55 shooting 120-140gr bullets from a Rem 700 Classic. Velocity is between 815-890 meters/sec (app 2450-2700 ft/sec).

Not in any ways a speciality rig, but coupled with a Zeiss 6x42 with target turrets, spotting scope, binoculars and a Leica 800 rangefinder, it gets the job done.

Haven't had a chance to shoot deer beyond 450yds with it.

Sierra22

Welcome to Long Range Hunting

Most folks I know use the 6.5 x 284 Norma and the 140 or 142 Sierra MK.

There's no problem using any 6.5 and the Swede is well know as you know. Most important is repeatable trajectory and adjustable scope.

A 450 yard kill while hunting is fairly rare "across the pond" from my understanding. I thought anything over about 150 yards was considered too risky for most folks over there.

Again, Welcome Aboard

Long shots are not common, I admit.

Reasons I can think of at the top of my head:

A lot of our deer/moose are shot during various types of drives where shooting range tends to be short.
Stalkers after the same game mostly prefers to close the distance before taking the shot.

Long-range shooting ranges are hard to find. The government sponsored shooting program mostly limits shooting to 100/200/300 meters as these ranges are most often found in various international competitions. (110/220/330yds). Benchrest shooting is only just starting to attract attention.

Ethics deemed correct by desktop-hunters say nay to longronge hunting.

The vast majority of hunters are not interested in longrange hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.