6.5 long range cartridges

dblman

Hi there,
I am new to this website but not new to long range shooting and I would like to make an observation on 6.5 calibers for ling range shooting/hunting.
I have been shooting a custom 6.5X284 for many years now with good success. I have been pleased and satisfied with the results both on targets and also big game. Elk, mule deer, white tail deer and sheep. It is a great caliber and I think very well of it.
I have recently had another rifle built by the same gun smith, Triple G Gunsmithing in Stephenville, TX. This one on the newer 6.5 Creedmore. Man alive this thing is baaaddd.
I am getting the same ballistics from the Creedmore as from the 6.5X284 with less powder, less recoil and less report/noise.
At this point I am ready to give this new cartridge the title of 2nd most efficient of all cartridges. The 22 long rifle holds the #1 spot for efficiency forever i guess.
Anyway, if you are a 6,5 nut and have not tried this new caliber, please give it a look, you will not be disappointed I bet.
Good Shootin'.
MM

I shoot a 6.5 in 260 Rem and agree that the short action 6.5s have a lot going for them. Very easy on the shoulder, solid ballistics, and just really fun to shoot. I would say the majority of the competitors at my last comp were shooting a 6.5 (mostly 260).

Good choice!

Isn't it nice to be able to launch 130 grain bullets at close to 3000 fps with almost no recoil, almost no noise and with great ballistics.
Very nice indeed...
MM

I use a 6.5x284 for hunting and a 260 Rem for competition. My buddy has a Creedmore that is a great shooter. Ballistics between the Creedmore and the 260 appear to be pretty close but we haven't been able to achieve the same velocity with them as the 6.5x284 with 140's , which run 200 FPS faster in both my rifles. I have found the long range accuracy of the 6.5's to be exceptional.

It seems to me after 15+ years of shooting 6.5's that the long range stability of the bore is very high.
I almost never shoot factory ammo, but decided to try some of the Superformance Hornady ammo for the Creedmore. I mounted a hunting scope on that rifle, one of the Leupold VX3 with the B&C reticle. I sighted it in as per the instructions and then proceeded to try each reticle at it's prescribed distance.
I found the 129gr SST bullets to be very accurate out to 500yds. And found them to hold an amazingly tight group even to 500. VERY nice factory ammo, it is. Maybe it is really is rocket science as their ads say.
Good shootin',
MM

Hi there,
I am new to this website but not new to long range shooting and I would like to make an observation on 6.5 calibers for ling range shooting/hunting.
I have been shooting a custom 6.5X284 for many years now with good success. I have been pleased and satisfied with the results both on targets and also big game. Elk, mule deer, white tail deer and sheep. It is a great caliber and I think very well of it.
I have recently had another rifle built by the same gun smith, Triple G Gunsmithing in Stephenville, TX. This one on the newer 6.5 Creedmore. Man alive this thing is baaaddd.
I am getting the same ballistics from the Creedmore as from the 6.5X284 with less powder, less recoil and less report/noise.
At this point I am ready to give this new cartridge the title of 2nd most efficient of all cartridges. The 22 long rifle holds the #1 spot for efficiency forever i guess.
Anyway, if you are a 6,5 nut and have not tried this new caliber, please give it a look, you will not be disappointed I bet.
Good Shootin'.
MM

By same ballistics do you mean that your getting the same velcity with the same bullets with the 6.5 creedmore? Is the barrel length the same? I run a 260 and love it. I always thought the 6.5 creedmore and the 260 were ballistic twins, but I knwo the 6.5x284 trumps my 260.

In the 6.5X284 I am shooting the 130 gr Swift Scirocco bonded bullet, FPS is +- 3000.
In the Creedmore I am shooting the Hornady Superformance ammo 130 gr Hornady SST bullet, FPS is =- 3000. 6.5X284 = 26" Kreiger bbl / Creedmore = 24" Savage bbl
I have seen articles which call the Creedmore, the 260 made right. I do know that the Creedmore is made from the TC30 cartridge which is a 308 sized cartridge that is ballistically superior to the 30-06.
This case, whether in the TC30 or the 6.5 Creedmore is VERY efficient, moreso than the 260 or 6.5X284, that I am certain of.
I am having a 2nd Creedmore built now using a Stiller Predator single shot action, 26" kreiger barrel and HS Precision stock, once it is finished I plan to see just what I can wring out of the case both accuracy wise and velocity wise.
I'll let you know the results.
MM

I have shot and still shoot a .260 improved, I have enjoyed it over the years and its not hard on barrels, accuracy, and speed near to the 6.5X284. Just another choice.

Ron Tilley

The 6.5's are awesome and I shoot the 260 for competition. The accuracy is great and I have noticed that very few seem to be shooting the 308 anymore in matches.

I have seen lots of people switch to the 6.5 Creedmoor and now for some reason, they are necking it down to the 6mm Creedmoor, with the 105 Berger Hyb. That should be very interesting to see how that fares in future competitions, from what I have heard, it's doing well.

I am sure the 260 Imp., is a very good cartridge that does come close to the 6.5x284. About 15 years ago I decided to build a cartridge based upon the old 250 Savage case, but in 6.5 caliber. I blew it out like the Ackley cartridges to give me more case capacity.
So, I drew out this new "baby" sent the drawings to Pacific reamer and presto, I had a brand new custom reamer.
Garland Gilbreath of Triple G gunsmithing built this new rocket launcher for me using a Model 7 Rem action.
It is am awesome cartridge, almost an exact duplicate of the 6.5 Creedmore, problem is; I have to make every case. I can buy the Creedmore cases from Hornady, call me lazy, but I am shooting the Creedmore now much more than my own.
Same thing for the 260 Imp., great cartridge, but, easier to just buy 6.5x284 cases I think. Same results.
Good Shootin',
MM

I am sure the 260 Imp., is a very good cartridge that does come close to the 6.5x284. About 15 years ago I decided to build a cartridge based upon the old 250 Savage case, but in 6.5 caliber. I blew it out like the Ackley cartridges to give me more case capacity.
So, I drew out this new "baby" sent the drawings to Pacific reamer and presto, I had a brand new custom reamer.
Garland Gilbreath of Triple G gunsmithing built this new rocket launcher for me using a Model 7 Rem action.
It is am awesome cartridge, almost an exact duplicate of the 6.5 Creedmore, problem is; I have to make every case. I can buy the Creedmore cases from Hornady, call me lazy, but I am shooting the Creedmore now much more than my own.
Same thing for the 260 Imp., great cartridge, but, easier to just buy 6.5x284 cases I think. Same results.
Good Shootin',
MM

you are correct, the differences is less powder, less expensive brass, and better barrel life from my experience. Ron Tilley

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.