6.5 grendel...

From what i've heard, I'd steer-clear of BCA, and pickup something of higher quality.

At the very minimum, I'd get the Brownells/Satern barrel & bolt combo, and build your own upper. It's not hard.

I am starting to lean towards building my own upper, on this barrel/bolt combo, does anyone have experience with this one, no issues, etc.?

I am starting to lean towards building my own upper, on this barrel/bolt combo, does anyone have experience with this one, no issues, etc.?

i'm with mudrunner, maybe steer clear of BCA just to be on the safe side. maybe the one i used will turn out ok, but i plan to upgrade to a rainier arms or ballistic advantage one day.

i built my grendel from scratch. it's really no different than any other AR build. you just need to make sure you get a type 2 bolt and a type 2 barrel. and then you need to get 6.5 specific mags. i was able to get 7 rounds in a 10 round 5.56 mag, but i dont know if it would function in the gun. i need to test it out.

i've only run one box of ammo through it, but no issues. i just got a new scope for it and i need to go sight it in and soon.

The Brownells/Satern barrel & bolt combo is what I have in mine. They are Type II, and have been headspace matched to each other. I went with the 24" model with the rifle length gas. So far the first 23 shots (factory Hornady 123 AMax) have averaged under 1.5" at 100, so it should get better with time (break-in) and handloads. The barrel isn't even broken in yet...Far from it. Just haven't had much time to shoot lately with hunting seasons being very close in proximity now that they extended deer season 2 weeks, so there's only a 1 month gap between it and turkey season. And my buddy who owns the property I shoot on, is a big turkey hunter, so I can't shoot during any hunting seasons. And the a-holes at the timber company were cutting his trees during deer season, so that screwed up the area where we shoot, because I couldn't shoot during the week while they were over there working, and my buddy was hunting on the weekends. So, we've still got another **** month to go before I can shoot again.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.