6.5 Grendel

carverelli

Is this new cartridge worth looking at for a long range deer hunter. It's being marketed by Alexander Arms and fits into an AR-15 w/ some diddling w/ the clip lips. MV is only a scant 2600 fps os so LD bullets. I just can't see it being a long range weapon, but that's what their billing it ti be

Its designed to be a long range weapon for wounding enemy troops, not big game. It is not even a decent choice for long range deer hunting.

Just my opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

I looked at this for a long time. In an M4 with FMJ's this is what you want to grab at about 4:00AM when Mr Grizz is dragging you out of the tent by your left leg. This is all after you have emptied your DE 50AE clip into the tent and everywhere.

With an M4 chambered for the 6.5 Grendel and a 30 round banana clip and some internal parts that we will not mention to ATF, in the dark you have a 100% chance of surviveing the bear attack because you will either shoot your left leg clean off or the noise will finally drive the bear away.

Greetings folks! I just signed up to what I hope is a long stay and perhaps some of you can teach an old dog a new trick or two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If your looking for that new caliber in the 6.5 for long range big game killing, I would indeed look towards something in the 7mm mag area or a 300 Win mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I looked at this for a long time. In an M4 with FMJ's this is what you want to grab at about 4:00AM when Mr Grizz is dragging you out of the tent by your left leg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would prefer thier .50 BEOWULF loading under these circumstances.

granted the 6.5 is a better choice than the 223 and the 50 maybe a better choice yet , I don't think that I'd realy want that to be my first gun of choice to prevent being mauled.
As for the long range deer round I realy haven't seen enough balistics on it to make a choice weather I'd use it or not but I'm sure that you could find a better choice.
If your wanting to use an AR platform for deer I'd go with the larger AR-10 from Armalite or DPMS or anybody else that makes a larger AR gun , then chamber it for 308 or 260

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.