6.5 Grendel won’t close bolt when feeding a round

When I try to load a round whether using release button or charging handle bolt doesn't close completely. Same problem with reloads and factory ammunition. Bolt stays open about a 1/16-1/8 inch. 90% of the time occasionally it will close. When I say it won't close I mean won't go into full lock up.
I had the same problem on a browning bar in 243 I fought it a long time until I found that the clip was dragging on the bolt slowing it down preventing it from closing all the way once in a while I buffed the feed lips on the clip and cured my problem. David

Are there any marks on the case after you get it out? Sometimes you have to dehorn the extractor as it will get hung up on the case rim. The Grendel forums have a thread on this with pictures..

I had it built. I am on the road for work so I don't have specific information on the gun. Just trying to get some ideas. I tried the ammunition that was loaded for my wife's. Works in hers not in mine. Thought maybe coal was wrong. Took back to the shop where it was built and he ran 6 factory rounds through it no problem. Took out to shoot with factory ammunition same problem. When you charge a round do you use the release button or pull the charge handle?
Measure your reloaded cartridge dimensions to see if your cartridge is in spec. Compare dimensions to a factory load that works or to SAMMI spec. Your sizing die may be out of specification or you may need a small base die. You may want to take your reloads to your gunsmith to have him help you.

Measure your reloaded cartridge dimensions to see if your cartridge is in spec. Compare dimensions to a factory load that works or to SAMMI spec. Your sizing die may be out of specification or you may need a small base die. You may want to take your reloads to your gunsmith to have him help you.
I tried a small base die on mine it didn't help maybe it will on yours David

Check your bolt and press the ejector, it should be under spring tension but you should be able to push it in and it should spring back out, if you can not push it in you have debris obstructing the ejector which will cause the bolt not to go into battery.

I think the spring is too weak. Probably the wrong one for the set up. I've found so many different springs with different ratings that it is ridiculous. I've found some carbine springs to be short, too strong for some loads so that it short cycled. Some were so weak that it acted over gassed. On and on. I'd check the spring. Try using one that has more coils, is slightly longer to give it more force. If it was headspace it would happen EVERY time. If the parts are milspec there should be no issue with headspace. And yes, I know 6.5 Grendell isn't exactly milspec on it's own. SPRING!

Has it done this the entire 50 rounds you've shot the gun?...
In other words, it has ALWAYS done this?
Yes I have had problems from the beginning. As I have said not every round. When I took it back to the shop he ran 5 rounds through it at the shop. Not firing them just running them through by hand with no problem. Used that same factory ammunition and still had problems?

I think the spring is too weak. Probably the wrong one for the set up. I've found so many different springs with different ratings that it is ridiculous. I've found some carbine springs to be short, too strong for some loads so that it short cycled. Some were so weak that it acted over gassed. On and on. I'd check the spring. Try using one that has more coils, is slightly longer to give it more force. If it was headspace it would happen EVERY time. If the parts are milspec there should be no issue with headspace. And yes, I know 6.5 Grendell isn't exactly milspec on it's own. SPRING!
I agree with you on trouble shooting FTE and FTF along with other cycling issues commonly found with AR's.
I've dealt with many Grendel and 7.62x39 issues...but...His problem is before firing a round...it won't slam lock to battery from full open with bolt release 100% of the time.