6.5 Grendel won’t close bolt when feeding a round

Nuclear Worker

When I try to load a round whether using release button or charging handle bolt doesn't close completely. Same problem with reloads and factory ammunition. Bolt stays open about a 1/16-1/8 inch. 90% of the time occasionally it will close. When I say it won't close I mean won't go into full lock up.

New gun? Wrong head spaced bolt is my guess-- did you build this or buy as a complete upper or gun?
If it' is npt new just a new problem then ot sounds like you jave a dirty chamber.

If new and you built it, you need to buy a headspace gauge and check for head space - your responsibility as a builder.

If new and you bought it complete, then call the manufacturer to see if they will help you out.

Any time a bolt is paired with a barrel, it should be checked for heafspace--- usually the tolerances in today's machining means that any bolt will jeadspace within specs, but sometimes "tolerance stacking" happens and you'll get a "too tight" or "too loose" hradspace

When you said "release button" I thought you meant the forward assist, but now realize you meant the bolt release

Do you have a "forward assist" ? Can you get the bolt to lock with the forward assist button? If so, and its a new rifle/build--your headspace might be tight but in tolerances but you might have a small burr on the bolt lugs or barrel extension lugs-- if thats the case you may need to "work it in" by just working the action a bunch ( empty no ammo) or fire a mag or 2 of ammo to work it in.

More details are needed

I had it built. I am on the road for work so I don't have specific information on the gun. Just trying to get some ideas. I tried the ammunition that was loaded for my wife's. Works in hers not in mine. Thought maybe coal was wrong. Took back to the shop where it was built and he ran 6 factory rounds through it no problem. Took out to shoot with factory ammunition same problem. When you charge a round do you use the release button or pull the charge handle?

When you said "release button" I thought you meant the forward assist, but now realize you meant the bolt release

Do you have a "forward assist" ? Can you get the bolt to lock with the forward assist button? If so, and its a new rifle/build--your headspace might be tight but in tolerances but you might have a small burr on the bolt lugs or barrel extension lugs-- if thats the case you may need to "work it in" by just working the action a bunch ( empty no ammo) or fire a mag or 2 of ammo to work it in.

More details are needed
Yes I do have forward assist. And no it will not go into battery.

I personally (usually) use the bolt release button. Unless I'm hunting, then I rase the bolt forward with the ch and either bump the fa or use my thumb on the bolt to "bump it" into battery if no fa.

Sounds like your headspace is tight. Did your "smith" check the headspace when you took it in to him?

Fyi-- just for info-- there are 3 headspace gauges ( shortest to longest) go gauge, no- go gauge, field gauge.

If he got it to load with factory ammo but you couldn't, it sounds like it is probably the bare minimum ( tight on a go gauge) -- can you get your hands on some of the factory ammo that he had? If you can get it to load and shoot, it will probably loosen up after a mag or 2--- BUT your smith should be helping out with this situation

I tried it with the factory ammunition he had. 1 out of 3 works. I know he cuts his chambers tight. Yes I agree he should be helping me more.
When you have the bolt locked back and press the bolt release it should slam into full lock. You can not let go slowly and expect it to lock up on a new rig.

When it slammed closed but not locked up... is it tight to open by hand or do you have to force it or slam it down on butstock?
If so... more than likely chamber issue.

If easy to open when slammed shut and not locked up...more than likely lug interference issue (bolt lugs not mating correctly with barrel extension). Or to short headspace.

Either way... You need notify the smith to be fixed.

When you have the bolt locked back and press the bolt release it should slam into full lock. You can not let go slowly and expect it to lock up on a new rig.

When it slammed closed but not locked up... is it tight to open by hand or do you have to force it or slam it down on butstock?
If so... more than likely chamber issue.

If easy to open when slammed shut and not locked up...more than likely lug interference issue (bolt lugs not mating correctly with barrel extension). Or to short headspace.

Either way... You need notify the smith to be fixed.
It has been a while since I played with it. From what I remember it was very hard to open. Had to slam down on butstock. Thanks for the information