6.5 Grendel Upper

Mike J

Have a polymer upper and lower laying around. Minus the upper receiver I've been trying to decide what route to go with 600-800 dollars. I'd want the barrel to come head-spaced with a bolt. I've looked at Criterion, Precision Firearms, & Compass Lake. Thought I'd seek the wisdom of the collective. Rifle is just for fun might try it NRA high power silhouette.

Are you wanting a complete upper or are you going to build an upper?
I built one of my complete rifles. I went with a SS 18" Oden Works DMR barrel that came with the mid length gas tube, tuneable gas block and complete bolt assembly with head spaced to barrel bolt. This is a hunting rifle and is very accurate. If I was going to be shooting longer ranges I would go at least 20" on the barrel. My first endeavor with the 6.5 Grendel was with a BCA complete upper which was a mistake. Long story but I ended up having the barrel replaced and finally got it to shoot sub moa. Accuracy is in the barrel and trigger so use your money to get good ones.

Are you wanting a complete upper or are you going to build an upper?
I built one of my complete rifles. I went with a SS 18" Oden Works DMR barrel that came with the mid length gas tube, tuneable gas block and complete bolt assembly with head spaced to barrel bolt. This is a hunting rifle and is very accurate. If I was going to be shooting longer ranges I would go at least 20" on the barrel. My first endeavor with the 6.5 Grendel was with a BCA complete upper which was a mistake. Long story but I ended up having the barrel replaced and finally got it to shoot sub moa. Accuracy is in the barrel and trigger so use your money to get good ones.
Thanks for the reply,

I'll build the upper since I already have a matched set of receivers. I couldn't agree more about the trigger and barrel. I've been thinking 18-22" on the barrel but I will probably settle on 20". I'm really trying to get the best head-spaced BCG, gas block, & Barrel for 600-800. I imagine I have some furniture laying around.

Thanks for the reply,

I'll build the upper since I already have a matched set of receivers. I couldn't agree more about the trigger and barrel. I've been thinking 18-22" on the barrel but I will probably settle on 20". I'm really trying to get the best head-spaced BCG, gas block, & Barrel for 600-800. I imagine I have some furniture laying around.
Brownells has a barrel bolt combo that's good

Krieger makes a good barrel. Get some 8208 xbr and 123 eld's. With Lapua brass 28 gr give or take.
I have a ton of XBR I been gathering for a while and a load of 120 ELD's. I can't wait to start rolling as soon as my loading room is complete. Still getting settled in from my move and a ton of other honey doo's lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.