6.5 Grendel Ruger American feeding problem on last round

whitetail regulator

DD73CE74-C0B4-4575-9586-BAD8C470D84D.jpeg
6.5 Grendel Ruger American feeding problem on last round of a magazine....anyone else with this issue...any fixes or suggestions...please chime in thanks guys....

All in all I like the rifle. I like the concept of the rifle. The finish on the bolt is really rough it has many wire edges left from the machining process. The stock had to be relieved down the barrel channel to keep It free floated. The mag well is a bit sloppy as it allows for Ford and back movement and some side to side movement on the magazine I suspect this affects some of the feeding smoothness of the rifle .And adjustable set screw or spacer of some type to minimize rocking of the magazine may be the cure to smoother cycling.I would like to see an aftermarket insert for the complete mag well area with the tighter magazine well

For as rough as the bolt is it actually cycles quite well and smooth without the AR mag inserted this is to be expected as the spring pressure from the magazine pushes against the bolt

Accuracy of the rifle was not bad after the velocity settled in At 2524 hor sst avg .75....amax .5 to .7 at 2554 and Hornady Black 123 at .7 at 2400 which I thought was slow....

After the velocities settled in all the different Ammo produced 10 to 15 FPS standard deviation whic I thought wAs pretty good for factory ...accuracy got tighter with the number

3 round flush er fit mag for 6.5 Grendel Ruger American....

Attachments

• 0CB85FF6-13A7-4E5E-B961-C4316BC811FC.jpeg
    0CB85FF6-13A7-4E5E-B961-C4316BC811FC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 369
  • D36D4A32-3A09-41DE-995E-790F5CE8CE4E.jpeg
    D36D4A32-3A09-41DE-995E-790F5CE8CE4E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 614
Ok cut the mag spring coil by coil to lessen the tension...it cycles much smoother and no last round hang up...it will work with factory at mags but I think less spring tension is the way to go... I have a 25 rounder that has a sluggish spring from being loaded too long....it works great....so that gave me the idea of less spring tension

You may also want to try shimming the bedding V's in the stock, either the front or rear slightly. This will alter the feed angle and has worked for me with the Ruger rotary magazine. Unlike other rifles the relationship between the stock and the action determines the feed angle. I used aluminum tape. One layer on the front V worked.

You may also want to try shimming the bedding V's in the stock, either the front or rear slightly. This will alter the feed angle and has worked for me with the Ruger rotary magazine. Unlike other rifles the relationship between the stock and the action determines the feed angle. I used aluminum tape. One layer on the front V worked.
Thanks I kinda wondered if anyone tried that...that was my next move lol... I think the lighter spring pretty well cured it....I hope lol

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts