6.5 Grendel Reloaders????

......The only advantage they have is that fun 3-position giggle-switch...But it's not practical in any sense, other than suppressive firepower.......

Have you used it on game? Do you think there is much to be gained from the cartridge from a velocity standpoint in a bolt rifle?

Harper,

I've seen 175-200 fps increase in bolt guns versus AR Platform. Until some miracle powder becomes available, you start running out of space in the case. It's a fun little efficient round, but if you're building on say a rem 700 SA, you may as well go creed or 260. The howa mini bolt action however is a fun little rifle that will take some stout loads and makes perfect sense in the shorter cartridges

I have used mine on game while doing some testing with experimental Gmx bullets that a friend had cut down to better suit Grendel case capacity. 105 grain gmx dropped a doe at 325. Shot out of 22" bartlein barreled AR. I've killed probably 20 or so Deer and no telling how many wild pigs with different flavors of grendel rifles and bullets. The 123 eld-m is a reliable bullet for Deer and pig sized game. Once shot a doe head on at 125 yds with a 100 TTSX, in the chest and out the rear. That load was probably running 2850 or so.

Have you used it on game? Do you think there is much to be gained from the cartridge from a velocity standpoint in a bolt rifle?
I can't tell you which platform to go with, as that's a personal preference. But me personally, I've said for years the 6.5 Grendel would benefit from a bolt-action platform like the 700 short action, where you can seat the bullets long and utilize all of the case's capacity. Until Remington makes one, the closest things to ideal in a bolt-action rifle are the CZ, Howa, and the new Ruger American rifle in 6.5 Grendel.

If you want a bolt rifle, I'd get that new Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel over the CZ rifle... The ruger is already threaded for a suppressor, and takes AR mags, so reloads are quicker.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/26922.html

The only issue with the Ruger (which won't be an issue for those who only shoot factory ammo), is that it uses the AR mags, so you're still limited in OAL. This will only be an issue for reloaders who want to shoot the longer heavy 6.5mm bullets. Personal thoughts, unless you're shooting subsonics, the Grendel wasn't designed to handle more than a 123-130 grain bullet, because of its small case capacity. But for what it is, the case is a very efficient design, so it functions very well in the 120-130 grain bullet range.

Went and sighted in the 6.5 Grendel (24" Satern/Brownells barrel) after putting on the new SWFA SS 3-15x42 MQ-DM scope and the Vortex CM-202 mount last year. I never got around to shooting it but once, and ran out of daylight to finish sighting it in...Been busy since. I was using some factory Hornady 123 SST that I had bought a few years back to get some once-fired brass for reloading. I still have a couple boxes left, so trying to shoot them up and see if the barrel is worth pursuing or worth selling and then buying a true match-grade 20" heavy barrel.

Here's the final group using 8" targets. The group is about 1.5" at 100 yards. Not the best group, but not bad considering I didn't have a rear bag to steady and load the rifle down into (when doing accuracy testing and load workup I use front & rear bags). For using factory ammo, and not ideal conditions, I think I will pursue some load workup with this barrel to see how tight I can get the groups. It's showing potential in less-than-ideal conditions, I think with tailored handloads and a rear bag, I can get this thing sub-MOA.

Hopefully more to report soon, as we just setup a 100 yard range at my buddy's house, and it's not hunting season, so we'll have a few hours in the evenings after work to shoot.

Here's the group...

FullSizeRender.jpeg

That's a serviceable group.

I just loaded 50 last night using 100gr Nosler BT and 123 Hornady SST. I've got the IMR8208 and H335 loaded behind those bullets. Plus 18 rounds left from 3 boxes of Hornady 123 ELD-M that I bought mostly for the brass.

Just got a Magnetospeed Sport too I want to test out...

With all hunting seasons over now that turkey just closed...the little women has a few "honey do's" waiting for me. Also have a lower unit to rebuild for my port engine of my offshore boat!

I will report in when I get to the range...I also have a new barrel on my 300wsm that needs to be broken in/sighted in...

Mudrunner that is typical grouping for factory 123 SST in a good barrel. The 123 SST has all the right design for a good hunting bullet as far as bullet construction for expansion and good long range ballistics but it is not the most accurate bullet I have found and I also hear from others. I have a hand load with this bullet and IMR 8208 that will duplicate the factory ammo out of my 18" Owen Works barrel that I intend to do more experimenting with as to seating depth to see if I can tighten it up some. My 20" BCA barrel just plain HATES this bullet, will not shoot it better than 2 to 3 inches at best with any load. I also have some 130 Sierra Game Kings that have been showing promise with LVR powder in both of my Grendel's. I also got some 100 BTs that I am going to give a try. Right now the most accurate hunting bullet I have found is the 120 Sierra Pro Hunter with a max charge of 28.5 grs IMR 8208, Hornady Case, CCI 450 or BR-4 COAL 2.250 and I use a medium Lee Factory Crimp. Will shoot 1/2" ragged hole 5 shots in my Oden barrel when I do my part and will shoot 1" in my 20" BCA barrel. Good luck in finding this bullet, seems everybody is out of stock right now. Glad I bought up a few hundred a while back.

RT...I think you are on the Grendel Web site too...seems I recall a very similar post there.

Like I told 1Shot there on the Grendel site ...yous have bought up all the 120 Sierra bullets...can't find one any where!

Sad that the 123 SST won't shoot, I've seen the same comments. My guess is it needs more speed. I was planning to try it in my 6.5 Creedmoor for a hunting bullet. I bought a bunch when I first dove off into the 6.5's last year. I just have not got around to shooting any of them until I built the Grendel.

The 129 SST shoot great in both my 6.5x284 and 264wm.

I doubt they will shoot any better in my "birdy barrel" (cheep-cheep) but they should go bang and put a few more rounds down the barrel to see if I can get it to group.

Speaking of "grouping" the 6.5 Grendel seems to be a finicky little devil...I read it was easy to load for...when most guys can't get under 1.5" without trying several powders and a couple different bullets, a couple tenths change in powder charge to really shrink it down..that's finicky in my book.

My first three using Hornady 123 SST Factory ammo from my 6.5 Grendel.

(the fourth bullet hole with no leading around the hole was already there - made a good aiming point... ;) )
first three at 100M (2).jpg

My barrel (Brownell's/Satern 5R button barrel) will shoot the Hornday 123 ELD-M bullet real well using Benchmark powder.
65grendel Hdy123eldm Benchmark 5shots 100M.jpg

Attachments

• AR15 65Grendel.jpg
    AR15 65Grendel.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 297
Last edited:
I'm the Howa importer for Norway and my experience with 6,5 Grendel is based on bolt action rifles Howa Mini Actions and my personal Semi Custom Sako. Not AR's.

With 120-123grs bullets all the Grendels I have shot are VERY accurate rifles. My local range is limited to 420m (460y), none of the rifles have any problems with 5 concecutive hits on a claybird size target. (108mm 4,2")

Most our loads are put together with Lapua brass, CCI 450's, CFE/LVR/N530 and Hornady, Nosler, Lapua 120's or 123's at about 2600f/s.

Personally I use 123 A-Max, 123 Nosler CC's or Lapua Scenar L 120 ahead of 32,7-33grs CFE. My Sako will almost put them on top of one another at that range
I bought the gun from a good friend who is a fairly wellknown youtube'r. Gun in action here . About 2min 40sec in some serious accuracy is displayed

Loads are probably a little hot for an AR. Not an issue in any bolt gun

Mudrunner that is typical grouping for factory 123 SST in a good barrel. The 123 SST has all the right design for a good hunting bullet as far as bullet construction for expansion and good long range ballistics but it is not the most accurate bullet I have found and I also hear from others. I have a hand load with this bullet and IMR 8208 that will duplicate the factory ammo out of my 18" Owen Works barrel that I intend to do more experimenting with as to seating depth to see if I can tighten it up some. My 20" BCA barrel just plain HATES this bullet, will not shoot it better than 2 to 3 inches at best with any load. I also have some 130 Sierra Game Kings that have been showing promise with LVR powder in both of my Grendel's. I also got some 100 BTs that I am going to give a try. Right now the most accurate hunting bullet I have found is the 120 Sierra Pro Hunter with a max charge of 28.5 grs IMR 8208, Hornady Case, CCI 450 or BR-4 COAL 2.250 and I use a medium Lee Factory Crimp. Will shoot 1/2" ragged hole 5 shots in my Oden barrel when I do my part and will shoot 1" in my 20" BCA barrel. Good luck in finding this bullet, seems everybody is out of stock right now. Glad I bought up a few hundred a while back.
Don't worry, I've got 2,000 Nosler 123 Custom Comps (got 2 boxes of 1,000 for the price of one), and a couple hundred Berger 130 AR Hybrids sitting around. ;) The 123 Cust. Comp. was designed for the Grendel. You should give some a try. For target shooting, the price is right, and it's a good bullet. I've been shooting targets with them for years, and they've always been very consistent and good shooters. I've even read on here a few times where folks successfully used them on game, but I have not personally tried it.

I'll be trying them out soon. I've had some handloads made up for about 2 years now, I just never got around to shooting them (just like trying to sight it in last year).

I'm the Howa importer for Norway and my experience with 6,5 Grendel is based on bolt action rifles Howa Mini Actions and my personal Semi Custom Sako. Not AR's.

With 120-123grs bullets all the Grendels I have shot are VERY accurate rifles. My local range is limited to 420m (460y), none of the rifles have any problems with 5 concecutive hits on a claybird size target. (108mm 4,2")

Most our loads are put together with Lapua brass, CCI 450's, CFE/LVR/N530 and Hornady, Nosler, Lapua 120's or 123's at about 2600f/s.

Personally I use 123 A-Max, 123 Nosler CC's or Lapua Scenar L 120 ahead of 32,7-33grs CFE. My Sako will almost put them on top of one another at that range
I bought the gun from a good friend who is a fairly wellknown youtube'r. Gun in action here . About 2min 40sec in some serious accuracy is displayed

Loads are probably a little hot for an AR. Not an issue in any bolt gun
Saur, you should try to get one of those new Ruger American Predator rifles in 6.5 Grendel, and make a YouTube video comparing all 3 production bolt guns in accuracy and function. I would love to see a comparison of all the bolt-action Grendels currently available.

I would love to see that custom Sako 6.5G. Do you have any pictures of it to post up? A guy who occasionally posts here named "Roe" used to have one and he liked it, but he sold it.

.....Sad that the 123 SST won't shoot, I've seen the same comments. My guess is it needs more speed. I was planning to try it in my 6.5 Creedmoor for a hunting bullet. I bought a bunch when I first dove off into the 6.5's last year. I just have not got around to shooting any of them until I built the Grendel.
.........I doubt they will shoot any better in my "birdy barrel" (cheep-cheep) but they should go bang and put a few more rounds down the barrel to see if I can get it to group.
.........Speaking of "grouping" the 6.5 Grendel seems to be a finicky little devil...I read it was easy to load for...when most guys can't get under 1.5" without trying several powders and a couple different bullets, a couple tenths change in powder charge to really shrink it down..that's finicky in my book...........

Curious as to what twist you have?

To combine the last 2, how much improvement would you expect with a good quality barrel? Are you speaking of the AR platform when saying "finicky"?

Mine is 1:8...I've only seen one guy talk about a 1:9...

My thoughts are the little 6.5 might benifit from a 9 twist...might get a little more speed out of lighter bullets.

In all of the Grendel's big brother's a 9 twist is better for light bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.