6.5 Grendel on Central Texas Hogs

Great video. Which Zeus are you running ?? I think I saw it somewhere but thought I would ask.. Keep puttin em on the ground !!!

That one reminds me of a hog my mother shot behind the ear with a 140gr SGK in a 7mm RM.

Hog went down at the crack. After a few minutes goto up and walked to a tree about ten feet away and fell over.

Mom ask me to go get it, so off I go in my dune buggie. Took no guns or bow.

Got to the tree...no hog...some blood, so I start tracking. Found her about 15 yards from the tree, reached down to grab a leg...she jumped to her feet and took off. She only ran about 20 yards and fell over.

We did this two more times. We were getting farther and farther from the vehicle so I decided this was going to end now!

So as I got close to her I took off running so I could jump on top of her. I was able to knock her off her feet, then put my hunting knife to work!

Then had to drag her twice as far as I should have.

You could have put a golf ball though the hole in her neck, but a hogs spine comes out the lower bottom of the skull, not right out the back. I hate it when I hear guys say to shoot one behind the ear.

There is nothing there, but meat!

Great video. Which Zeus are you running ?? I think I saw it somewhere but thought I would ask.. Keep puttin em on the ground !!!

Sorry for the late reply. The Zeus being used as a spotter in a 2-16x42 640 Zeus.

You could have put a golf ball though the hole in her neck, but a hogs spine comes out the lower bottom of the skull, not right out the back. I hate it when I hear guys say to shoot one behind the ear.

YES YES YES! Good story, BTW. I have now killed two hogs that were previously shot "behind the year" where the bullet failed to connect with spine or skull and the hog survived. I also blasted a couple there, having one run off and having the other down on the ground with a huge hole (Berger VLD-Hunting bullet used), but the hog still very conscious, just stunned.

We returned to the same property as the video above and did more hunting. Here is where I encountered the second living "behind the ear" hog. There is a link at the end pertaining to the first one.

Like you, I hate it when people talk about shooting it behind the ear. The only time I want to intentionally do that is when the hog is quartered and I can put the shot behind the ear and INTO the back of the skull, or down the neck into the chest cavity.

That one reminds me of a hog my mother shot behind the ear with a 140gr SGK in a 7mm RM.

Hog went down at the crack. After a few minutes goto up and walked to a tree about ten feet away and fell over.

Mom ask me to go get it, so off I go in my dune buggie. Took no guns or bow.

Got to the tree...no hog...some blood, so I start tracking. Found her about 15 yards from the tree, reached down to grab a leg...she jumped to her feet and took off. She only ran about 20 yards and fell over.

We did this two more times. We were getting farther and farther from the vehicle so I decided this was going to end now!

So as I got close to her I took off running so I could jump on top of her. I was able to knock her off her feet, then put my hunting knife to work!

Then had to drag her twice as far as I should have.

I just use my good'ol 30cal and go strate thru the sholder.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.